Are Duncan 6 & 7 pickups that different from each other as Dimarzios are?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheShreddinHand, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Title mostly says it. For those that have more experience with Duncan 7 string pickups, are they pretty close to their 6 string brethren? In particular, the JB and Jazz set, which I absolutely love in a 6 version but have never played as a 7 version.

I'm just a little hesitant since in my experience with Dimarzios, the 6s and 7s have always been quite different (not necessarily bad sounding, just different). Thanks!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That goes for just about every company.

You can't just make a pickup bigger without changing the properties. So in order to make the 7-string variant sound the same you need to engineer the pickup from the ground up, which doesn't really happen too often.

odibrom likes this.
  3. TheShreddinHand

Very true. I just wonder if it's world's apart or at least in the same ballpark. I forgot that I did try some Duncan Distortions (7s) and they sounded completely different then the 6ers (both mahogany Jacksons, 25.5 scale).

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

For Duncan in particular I'd say it's on the same level as DiMarzio, depending on the pickups. I think they did a pretty good job with the Blackouts accross the range. The Jazz isn't too bad either, but the JB and Distortion 7 are quite different.

5. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I had a Duncan Nazgul/sentient set in a 7 string Carvin that I felt sounded a lot better than the 6 string version set that I currently have in my EII horizon.

FWIW, both guitars have almost the same wood combos.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I have a 6 and 7-string Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set. Both are in different guitars with different scale lengths, so its hard to say what differences are stemming from the guitar, and which ones from the pickups themselves.

Overall, the Pegasus/Sentient set are pretty similar between 6 and 7 in my opinion.

Public opinion would say that Duncans are more likely to be similar from 6 to 7 than Dimarzio's, especially since Dimarzio's tend to use ceramic magnets exclusively in their 7's, even if the 6 string version uses alnico. I can't speak to the truth of the general consensus though, but that's what people seem to suggest,.

7. TheShreddinHand

Good point on the magnets. Come to think of it, a lot of the Dimarzio 6s & 7s i've used have had different mags but same pickup name.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.