Are Dimarzio Fusion Edges meant to be this shite?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Loz, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Loz

Loz SS.org Regular

I've had these pickups for a while now and I can't seem to get a good sound out of them, they have a huge bottom end but not in a good way, it's very boomy and lacks any clarity. If i try and eq it to be more bright it just sounds awful, no crunch or tightness at all. they also seem kind of low output for a metal guitar, it almost sounds like the tone knob is all the way down, though my guitar doesn't have a tone knob and i assume it's just always up to the full without one? The pickups also buzz pretty loudly, so weird that i read such good reviews about the pickups before i got the guitar!

I made a comparison here to how it sounds vs my EMG 81 in my other guitar, exact same amp settings. What do you guys think? are they bad pickups or is something not right with mine.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I haven't played the fusion edge pickups before but your clip sounds in the ballpark of what I hear in other sound demos. To me, the pickups sound like a mix between (mostly) D-Activators with a few characteristics of the Titan.

I definitely recommend adjusting pickup height to see if you can remedy some of your issues, perhaps they're too close to the strings?
    Otherwise, you may just not like their sound.

3. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Yeah, they are dimarzio branded stock pickups pretty much.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

for tightness not much beats the 81. It sounds great here.

The Dimzario sounds woefully inept.

5. Loz

Loz SS.org Regular

Oh shit really that totally makes sense, but again I ask why the glowing reviews? :p

I'm guessing swapping the bridge out for a d'activator will do the trick?

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Is doesn’t sound absolutely garbage for a stock pickup really a glowing review?

7. Loz

Loz SS.org Regular

No one says that though, it's just praise for the sound of the guitar. I just can't believe these pickups come in a £750 guitar, i got mine for much cheaper so I'm fine with changing them but if i bought it full price i'd be pretty pissed lol.

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Honestly, tone is largely subjective, and when it comes to these pickups they were designed for Ibanez, based on their wants/tastes to be put in a variety of guitars.

I've heard great clips of these pickups, but some people don't like them, why? Because we all have different tonal tastes that we want in pickups. For some, this pickup is perfect for them.

Technically, these pickups aren't 'garbage,' they are pickups made by Dimarzio and are no different than any of their other offerings in terms of quality, etc. This would be like saying "I can't believe they put a Tone Zone in this guitar, what a **** pickup..." Tone Zone's are great pickups and have their audience, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean its 'low quality/garbage'. It's simply a matter of taste.

For instance, I personally despise EMG pickups, as they don't provide the tone I want. But it is nonsensical for me to say "EMG's are trash." Why? Because it's obvious that they are great for a lot of people, yourself included, but they aren't for me.

Same goes for Fusion Edge pickups, they are made alongside every other Dimarzio pickup, and they differ simply based on their intended tonal design characteristics (which is what they came up with based on Ibanez's requests).

Strobe, couverdure and odibrom like this.
  9. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Honestly thought it sounded pretty good. But then again I hate EMG's. Don't forget the EMG will have more output and attack at the same amp settings. If you gave the fusion a little more gain and maybe treble it would sound closer.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

is the 81 from a 6 string guitar? What's the scale length on the 7 string? lots of things come into play. It could be the guitar in general doesn't have the sound you want. Honestly i've had crazy name brand pickups in a certain unnamed expensive guitar and to me it sounded like shit in comparison to another similar priced guitar but with stock pickups. Certain guitars just don't have what we want in them, but yeah before I make you try to hate your guitar. Maybe you should tweak the heights first and if you don't like them then just swap them out?

I think Blaze's were made with the idea of versatility, so maybe it doesn't sound as good as an 81 distorted, but it probably does decent cleans... That's the thing about pickups, you can't really have it all

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. dxjxrose

dxjxrose SS.org Regular

I like the fusion edge neck pickup but the bridge is super dark and kinda loose

12. Jeesan

Jeesan Regular

Personally I think comparing any passive pickups to EMG (e.g 81 or actives) for chugged riffs will almost always sound a little inferior for that purpose. EMGs, while ppl dislike them for some reason or the other, actually, and to be honest, work superb for chugs, and matching a similar sound with passives simply isn't as easy.

most metal records, (until recent passive boom) sounded great with EMGs, and i am certain most of it was because of how easy it was to achieve that chug sound with it.

Devin Townsend, no matter if you like or dislike his music, has an amazing chug tone, and he chugs A LOT, and he's using EMGs.

(please dont mind sharing my opinion; im not trying to bash passives or implying anything as such; arch enemy uses passives, and malmsteen uses single coils)

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

DiMarzio also made the pickups for the 7621/7620, and those were considered to be pretty meh.

Also this. Seriously.

0:30 and 4:00 in are tonally orgasmic.

And :07 here.

Jeesan likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I thought the New7 neck pickup was a'ight. I did grow to hate the bridge pickup though.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The New7 neck is supposed to be based on the Super 2, which is supposed to be a great neck pickup.