Arch Enemy at the moment

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ArtDecade, May 22, 2017.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

I know they just got off the road after a long time touring behind the new album, but I am kinda bummed. Most of the band (old and new) are touring and recording as Black Earth - AND - Alissa signed a record deal to do a solo album. That all said, I was really hoping that they would turn their attention back to the studio and get in there with Jeff Loomis. I know Jeff has the opportunity to pick and choose his projects in the meantime, but I have to admit that I am excited to see the direction Arch Enemy takes with his songwriting and playing. Oh well, I guess I am just being impatient. :lol:

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

3. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

Spaced Out Ace and Alex79 like this.
  5. ArtDecade

No Loomis input except for solos, huh? Kinda a bummer.

6. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

Ehh I expect a logical continuation of the previous two albums - mostly mid tempo downtuned heavy metal with way too many power beat parts with mediocre melodies.

To be frank I am not too keen on Loomis's trademark diminished noodling but I really expected him and Amott to compliment and balance each other nicely, breathing some much needed fresh air into the band.

7. MetalZan

MetalZan The MetalZan

with all respect to the bandies, i doubt they could handle playing to most of the stuff jeff could write, he is like the arch mage of fretboard wizardry.

still though it is a shame... jeff is a wicked player and its too bad they didnt include him in the song writing process.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

"Amott told Rock Hard magazine in January that Loomis — who was the main songwriter in his former band NEVERMORE — has not contributed to the songwriting on the group's new disc."

That confirms the suspicions that Loomis was only hired on by management to further push the band's image. Its a shame since songs like Psalm of Lydia would have fit perfectly into Arch Enemy's catalogue.

Here comes another album of Ammott's extremely boring riffs, leads and lyrics. I can't believe this is the band that made Wages of Sin. The last few albums have been packed full of B side material so Loomis's input could really have shook things up again.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

More like Chris Broderick-ed. As in his Megadeth run.

Oh well... he's getting paid and touring the world. Don't feel too bad for him. ;)

Alex79 likes this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I say Holt'd because Gary Holt has a history of writing amazing thrash songs, but was held back because the band leader (Kerry in Slayer) said no.

Likewise, Jeff Loomis has a history of writing amazing progressive/thrash/death metal songs, but was held back because the band leader (Michael in AA) said no.

Not to change the topic, but Chris, by the accounts I've heard, seems like a :shrug: songwriter. I wasn't wow'd by his new band at all.

And I mean, I'm not bummed for Jeff at all. He seems to have no problem playing solos and relatively easy rhythm parts. It's just as a fan of AA's first 4 albums (the Johaan era + Wages of Sin), I'm ....ing bummed it's going to be another boring modern Michael Amott-lead snoozefest.

Descent and fps like this.
  11. ArtDecade

Amott and Loomis should have made for an awesome songwriting department - a perfect combination of the technical and the melodic. The news that Loomis is just noodling is far from what I was hoping for... Seems like a missed opportunity.

12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Trying not to change it either, but I think he's probably the most over rated song writer ever. Not taking away from his technical prowess, but literally everything I have from his writing sucks IMO :ugh:

Back on topic. I kind of figure that's what his role would be in AA. You have one of the best guitarists in the world in your band and you don't let him contribute :noplease: :scratch:

He must be or should be making bank money wise then :lol::lol:

13. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

So I get that Loomis is getting steady pay by being in Arch Enemy, and it seems that Nevermore isn't reforming anytime soon. But with the resume Loomis has, why couldn't he form his own new band with cherry picked members and strike out on his own? Maybe he's cool with being a hired gun and wants the steady check, but damn, this man has written more great 7 string riffs and leads than just about anybody. Really want to hear his own creations again!

(Secretly I just want Nevermore back together.) :wavey:

14. CreptorStatus

CreptorStatus SS.org Regular

While it is a shame that Loomis didn't do any of the song writing on the new record, i guess i must be in the minority. I felt the last Arch Enemy record was pretty good and feel they are one of the only melodic death metal bands who have actually stuck to their guns and not pulled an In Flames or drowned their songs in clean vocals.

15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Can't wait to hear the same diminished arpeggios he's been using since Dead Heart In a Dead World :yesway:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  16. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

If I were Loomis, I would be happy to get a check for touring with AE and keep all the tasty songs I write for my own endevours.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Hey look another Loomis solo "one diminished arpeggio forever". I wouldn't mind AE having a bit more technical riffs, but they're a metal band with mid tempo songs and VERY "rock" solos. It's their sound, and I'm glad they're not changing it up too much. If Loomis wants to write a ton of stuff for another project great. I just don't want to trade hummable solos for a borderline out of key sounding shredfest. $0.02.

I don't buy AE albums for guitar virtuosity.

Hartattack1090 likes this.
  18. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Ahhhh... I see your point. :yesway:

Broderick won't win any Grammy's for song writing. I concur. But he's a monster player.
    :agreed:

19. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Anyone ever consider the fact that Loomis can't write good songs without Warrel?

He can write shred albums that showcase his playing, but there's probably a reason why he hasn't put together a "vocal" band yet, because he's not really good at actually writing songs and needs to find a situation where he has chemistry with a singer or someone else who can actually put a good tune together.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I read some interview with Jeff sometime ago where he said he did throw in a few ideas but wasn't sure whether they'd get used or not. Maybe his ideas will get used more later if he stays in the band. I guess pretty much everyone on this forum hopes so.

I liked the previous album though, but Khaos Legions and Rise of the Tyrant... not so much. They felt too cheesy somehow. War Eternal has some cheese on it too, but for some reason it doesn't bother me the same way...