Appreciate suggestions for mid+ priced acoustic

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by progmetalhead, Dec 26, 2016.

1. progmetalhead

progmetalhead SS.org Regular

Hey all,

I'm interested in purchasing a mid- to high-end acoustic guitar for myself. I don't know much about acoustic guitar brands and figured I'd come here first to generate some ideas (brands/models) to start my search.

I guess the first thing I've been struggling with whether to go with steel or nylon strings. I've had a couple of "warm" sounding steel-stringed acoustic guitars in the past and even they sounded too bright for me at times. Having a soft/warm sound is the most important criteria for me. (I play with a pick, and don't want to change that, is it "legal" to play nylon guitars with picks?)

While I usually play metal, I envision myself playing my acoustic for classical or maybe jazz and flamenco pieces (no hard rock strumming).

My price range is $500-2000.

I want a straight acoustic and do not want an acoustic-electric.

I'd prefer a narrow bodied guitar (from top-board to back-board) if possible, so long as the sound is not compromised.

Good performance (low action) is highly desirable.

A clean design is highly desirable.

Well that's what I think are criteria right now. Do you guys have any suggestion on brands/models I should try out for myself? Thanks so much.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I think you will be interested in both this guitar and the strings reviewed on my site here !
    https://tomwinspear.com/2016/08/06/tanglewood/

A classical could be cool but I'm more inclined to suggest a steel string that is warm and can be strung with some interesting middle ground strings :)

Incredible value for money at your lower price range. Doesn't fit your narrow spec though.

I haven't ever picked up a stock acoustic that couldn't use some saddle filing/shim removal to improve the action.

Save
    Save
    Save
    Save

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

You should go try some Taylor's. Different models are at different price points, and the used market has good value. They have, from my experience, the most electric guitar feeling neck shapes and action. I went to a guitar store with my dad in 2001 and that was the first time I'd seen Taylor guitars. I was laughing with him wondering who in their right mind would drop $5,000 on an acoustic guitar(914CE)!!? Well then I played it, and fell in love, and bought it. 15 years later I still have it and still love it.

4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I was impressed with the Taylor 110 that I played. They've gone up in a price a bit but I think still a great value.

5. progmetalhead

progmetalhead SS.org Regular

Good call on the Taylors. Ended up buying one even before I read the new responses to this post. (We're on the same wavelength!)

Initially I went to Guitar Center and tried a few classical guitars out. Their selection was quite bad and the ones they did have there didn't impress me at all. Chord voicings sounded very muddy on these instruments and it quickly turned me off.

I found a local guitar shop (of which I was previously unaware) that specializes in Taylors. I fell in love with a limited edition Koa guitar that was perfect for me. It cost a lot more than I intended to spend, but I knew after seeing and hearing this instrument anything else would be second rate. The koa body is absolutely beautiful and it a nice inlay pattern. Chords sound warm and lush and the instrument has a nice tonally soft sound when playing melodies.

Here's a link for those interested in taking a look.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!