Apogee Duet vs. Presonus Firestudio (or similar)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by P-Ride, May 19, 2016.

1. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Ok, controversial headline!

I'm heading off travelling and will continue recording guitar wherever I go, both for Instagram, but also professional collaborations.

I've recorded for cinema, including a major sports label and plan to continue doing so - and I'm interested in working live with other musicians in Sydney, Australia. Basically building my online profile and portfolio.

I'm using a bulky, old TC Electronic soundcard which TC take ages to release drivers for whenever OSX is updated, so - as well as it's served me - it's time for a new interface.

Required Features
    - Good for recording guitars
    - Small and sturdy, good for travelling
    - Can run into two full-size monitors (I'll buy a pair wherever I land)
    - Also has the ability to run a headphone/line-out while powering the monitors, to run into my iPad for Instagram videos
    - Can send MIDI, to sync with external looper and delay pedals I am highly likely to start using
    - Doesn't require a separate power cable.
    - Doesn't have drivers that are only updated months after Apple release an OSX update

Apogee Duet looks pretty great, but I already have to buy a new Macbook Pro and keep a few grand in savings when I arrive, so would rather not spending just under £500, if I don't need to.

What about a Presonus Firestudio Mobile, for £160? Or another similar device meeting the above criteria, by another company?

I'd potentially buy one and upgrade to the Duet later when I've saved more, if it really is worth the cash; but don't want to buy a device (no matter how cheap) if it will impact the quality of my recordings adversely.

Cheers

2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Moving to Sydney for music...

:lol::lol::lol:

No but seriously...

The New Presonus stuff is great. But unless it's the new USB3 stuff (Studio 192 series) I probably wouldn't bother.

RME, Apogee, UAD, Audient are all great interfaces that do what you want. :hbang:

3. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

I'm moving to Sydney for surfing, kitesurfing and other lifestyle reasons.. And will continue to build my profile online.. If I can put a band together while there, that'd be cool though.

What do you know about Sydney's music scene? I'm from Cambridge, UK, which has virtually no music scene!

You think it's really worth getting Thunderbolt/USB 3 over USB 2?

Any particular models in the sub £200 category that you know of and would recommend? Above that, I'd rather stump up for the Apogee Duet.

Cheers

4. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Well I live in Sydney... send me a PM if you wanna talk more about it.

5. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

The Duet is a better unit than pretty much anything else in that price range

6. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Hey, the Duet is £450-£500; my question is whether an interface for under £200 for perhaps a year, until I upgrade to a Duet, would harm the sound quality of my demos.

7. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

Probably not.

I think the Audient iD14 is under 200 pounds so look into that.

8. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Yup, great reviews for the Audient - but don't think it has MIDI!