Anyone with both Grandmeister 40 and Mark V?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by koitsu, Jul 28, 2018.

1. koitsu

koitsu SS.org Regular

I'm going to try moving back to an amp after years with amp sims (currently AT4 and Thermionik). In the hunt for something small and really versatile, I've been angsting over the Hughes & Kettner GM40 versus the Mark V 35. Most of my playing will be straight into the DAW, so if I get the Mark, I'll also pick up a Suhr or Two Notes load box.

I've found tons and tons of info on each amp but almost nothing coming from anyone who actually owns or who is really experienced with BOTH of them. Just wondering if anyone here could offer some tips.

Like I said, I've done a lot of reading already, so totally not worried about EL84s. My ears simply do not care and my DAW skills can absolutely compensate for the lack of big power tubes. Price is not an issue either. Both amps used are within my budget.

While I spend like 90% of my amp sim time with a Mark IV model, I did have a TM18 a few years ago and loved the cleans more than any other amp I've used or modeled. Not "hi-fi" but "crystalline and beautiful" to my ears. But it just didn't have the balls for hard rock and metal. The GM40 seems to address those issues. I really like the idea of the built-in noise gate and effects. On the other hand, the Mark V is, well, a Mark V. Both of these amps are pulling equally strong on me but there can be only one. Unfortunately, I can't demo both locally, much less with my DAW setup and monitors.

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'm a huge mark v fan boy so I vote for that. It has the added bonus of having a slave out tapped directly off the speaker out, so you can drive a cabinet for monitoring and then run that into an interface or mooer radar and get your IR on.

3. VforVendetta00

VforVendetta00 SS.org Regular

i'll keep an eye out on this thread, i have a GM 40 and i love it, but i also want to try a mark v 35. i must say that the DI out of the GM40 is amazing and got me to sell my pod and forgo getting an axe fx or kemper

4. koitsu

koitsu SS.org Regular

I ended up buying the Grandmeister 40. BUT... I kept hawking various sites for a good deal on a Mark V:25/35 and ended up finding the 25 for a great price. Should be receiving it in a few days.

I love the GM40 so far but the curiosity is still there for the Mark because while the GM40 has a really wonderful clean channel, I can't get the brootz and the chugz from the lead or ultra channel like I was kind of hoping for.

Once I've got both amps in hand, I'm totally open to doing any kinds of tests you guys want. If you have DIs you want me to demo, send them along. Bear in mind that I live in a small apartment and have NO CAB (!). Everything is going to be straight through a load box, through NadIR and into Reaper. But I feel the need to get some kind of objective testing up here or on youtube or soundcloud because this is crazy that no one has compared these two amps yet!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. koitsu

koitsu SS.org Regular

PS---If anyone might be interested in buying whatever amp I don't keep, feel free to keep an eye on this thread. :)