Anyone using Ryzen?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Axe Cop, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Axe Cop

Axe Cop SS.org Regular

I'm looking into building a new rig. Is Ryzen even worth looking at compared to an i7 8700?

2. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

I unfortunately don't. From my understanding, the 8700K's market is essentially high framerate but low(er) resolution gaming like 1080p, especially if you can delid it and juice the extra MHz from overclocking it. Otherwise it's very expensive for not much practical use. At higher resolution gaming you are GPU limited at the moment, so your CPU power matters incredibly less; to the point where when aiming for 4K at 60FPS pretty much all CPUs perform very similarly.
    For productivity tasks Ryzen offers equivalent cores and equivalent if not better performance in pretty all tasks for much better money. I suppose the productivity end of things matters more to you first and foremost or you wouldn't be here. Will possessing the 8700/8700K hurt you? No, not at all. Is there a point to splurging the extra cash? Hardly if you're not aiming for the highest refresh rates at 1080p.

The advantage for going towards Intel would be if you possess a Thunderbolt interface or plan to buy one with a compatible motherboard as Thunderbolt remains mainly (but not exclusively) an Intel technology. Otherwise I'd save the extra money to buy a nicer interface or invest towards a wider monitor, which will allow you to display more things on screen without needing to search for them through layers and layers of windows. Or you could as well buy more RAM considering how ridiculously expensive it became in the last few years. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

You answered on a music Forum, in the Recording Studio Section, a question about processors with information about Framerate... uwotm8? :rofl:

But seriously, at low latency audio the i7 outperforms the Ryzen reasonably well.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/03/02/amd-ryzen-first-look-for-audio/

Even a year on I haven't seen a benchmark that's really improved it's performance. Happy to be proved wrong if they've changed it, but by design the Ryzen isn't for efficiency and latency in processing, it's for raw power.

Also at higher percentage loads the Ryzen just doesn't perform as well, and if you're doing any serious audio production you'll quickly utilize a lot of your CPUs power.

4. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Well I don't only do audio on my PC... :lol: And the 8700/8700K is mainly favoured for excellent gaming performances above everything else despite being better than previous generation(s) Intel x700 series in multi-tasking due to having more cores. That's how it made sense to me.
    Interesting. I'd be curious to see how Ryzen 2 and Intel 8000 series stack up considering this benchmark features previous generation CPUs.

EDIT: Oh wait, there's a benchmark on the very same website you've linked to.
    http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/05/02/ryzen-generation-2-2600x-2700x-on-the-testbench/

TL; DR: Ryzen for price-performance, Intel for absolute performance.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  5. Axe Cop

Axe Cop SS.org Regular

Thank you King. From the reading I've done it seems liks the higher single core performance from the Coffee Lake chips is a big factor in what makes them better for audio production. Now I'm not planning on running 900 instances of Kontakt, but it still looks like i7 chips are superior.

KingAenarion likes this.
  6. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

If I were buying a 400 bucks CPU minus cooling, I would do exactly that at least once. Even if I absolutely don't need that in my every day life. :lol: