Anyone own a 81-7 X *and* a 81-X ?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Andromalia, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I put a 81-7x in my Iron Label instead of the 707 and I love it. Is the 81-X sounding the same with just one less string or does it sound different ? I'm tempted to order one but I got burned more than once with pickups sounding very different on 6 and 7 strings so I'd rather check first. (Yes Dactivators, I'm looking at you)
    It would be for my ultratone, it was delivered with SDs blackouts that don't sound bad but not really good and are way too gainy.

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ive heard great things on the xseries. So much so, next month Im ordering my first set of X series EMGs too.

Ok based on ALOT of research ive done into both Forum posts/feedback and Youtube comparison videos, it seems the general consensus is they are the same from 6 to 7 to 8. obviously the lowest string each time will be different and add something new, but all the subsequent strings will sound the same as each other regardless of guitar.
    I guess the way an EMG works helps this consistency.

You should have no issue going between an 6 string 81x and an 81-7x imo.

3. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

In my experience, the 6 strings will sound similar but slightly hotter than the 7s. Minus the variables in guitar, you shouldn't be disappointed if you like the 7.

4. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

EMG should be pretty consistent regardless of whether for 6, 7 or 8 string.

89X-R is my favorite bridge pickup from EMG - but that’s going to be a bit warmer or “rounder” than the 81X. Still has great attack though when you dig in.

lewis likes this.
  5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Ok I'll order one then. As I have 2 guitars with a 81 and a Luke with a 85 I'll likely also order a 57/66 set to test it for myself.