Anyone knows picks that feel like Ultex but sound closer to Tortex?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Antiphase, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

I started my guitar way long time ago with Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0, later been using some local 1.5 Acrylic Jazz picks which are pretty expensive. Also experimented with some buffalo horn and Dunlop`s Delrin picks but wasn`t impressed. recently tried to find cheaper and maybe a little thinner picks for daily uses. I bought all sharp Dunlop picks that I`ve found (Tortex Jazz ||| xl, Tortex |||, Tortex Sharp, Ultex Jazz|||XL, different thicknesses). And I really felt in love with Ultex Jazz||| XL, edges are rounded and beveled, the material itself is kinda slippery, so the pick crosses strings so effortlessly, much better than acrylic I`ve used before. But the tone of Ultex is smth I don`t really like, bass strings don`t get enough punch when strumming them, sound more flat and soft. Tortex on the contrary sounds nice and full but sticks to strings probably because of material itself and non-treated edges (thinner Tortex have less of that problem but they don`t fit anyway). So is there smth between`em I could try?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

winspear

NateFalcon likes this.
  3. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

Thanks... Anything else?

4. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I don't know anything about Ultex/Tortex but I started using these fellas about a year ago or so and never looked back.
    They are really thin and absolutely rigid (as in: they do not bend at all). As such, they feel extremely precise and I like the tone I get out of them more. The only downside is that they are kinda meh for cleans imho. That's where I prefer softer picks.

5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I find the Jazz III 2.0 sounds better than the regular Ultex one

6. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

Pickboy looks interesting! As for cleans I already have a favourite pick, so don`t demand this. But do those picks have that slippery effect, gliding between strings without much friction?

Gonna try Jazz III 2.0 as well, Thanks!

7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

Yeah, custom picks like Winspear are probably the best material balance if you’re looking for a certain feel

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I wouldn't exactly call them slippery but I don't get stuck on strings if that's what you mean.
    They do feel very satin-ish and are great to grab though, unlike smooth picks which tend to slip out of my fingers when I'm playing.

9. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

understood, but it seems like kind of rare stuff not easy to buy. I should stick to smth more "mainstream".

10. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

I think Tortex is satin-ish as well. Anyway I`ve ordered some, we`ll see, thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 6:03 AM