Anyone know about mics/live gear for a singer?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by jco5055, Jun 27, 2018.

1. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I've looked for multiple sites/forums with no luck, so I'll try here.

So I'm also a singer besides a guitarist. In my only previous live experience another band member had a full PA/mics etc so I never thought about this before, but I want to get all the stuff live wise I'd need as a singer.

It took me forever to even find what a singer would theoretically need to bring to a gig, and assuming the venue doesn't have the gear it appears I would need a mic and PA system.

I have some questions about that:

- I definitely prefer wireless systems, but when I look at wireless systems they seem overall to be cheaper than individually buying a mic/transmitter. Is there a reason? Like are the combos similar to guitar combos where it's usually beginner quality gear? Because some of the transmitters/mics are VERY expensive (like $3k just for a transmitter) Should I just buy cheaper stuff and it's excepted/expected that only venues can afford the highest end equipment, just like how the full version of pro tools is like $11k?

Any guides to buying PA systems out there, or just in general singing gear guides or suggestions? It seems like there is almost no info out there about singing gear, which to be honest I don't get excited about singing gear like I do guitars etc but it's still a necessity.

Thank you!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Unless you're playing in backyards and basements, there's usually a PA. Maybe bring your own mic, stand and cable if you have specific preferences.

Besides that, it really depends on your budget. You can grab a super basic PA setup, mic, mixer, power amp and speakers (or powered speakers) and all associated cabling for a few hundred dollars, but without knowing how much volume you're going to need it's hard to really recommend anything.

jco5055 likes this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’d just grab an SM58 and call it good

jco5055 likes this.
  4. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I would buy an SM58 as mentioned above, and maybe one of those foam mic-condom things to go over the end of the mic. If you end up using the same mic as everyone else (and they've been slobbering and horking and coughing all over it) it's nice to just slip the foam mic-condom over the tip and not get the herp.

You might wanna grab a $20 stand, xlr-xlr and xlr-1/4inch (in case you need to plug your mic into a bass amp or something for vocals) and keep it in the car in case you need it.

shop at amazon baby!!

5. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Thank you guys! I guess this explains why I never knew much about singing gear it's pretty much not needed haha.

I think I'll just buy a mic and I'll have the $$ necessary if I need to buy a PA etc for some kind of backyard show or something.

Last question, any tips/recommendations about monitors? I know most IEMs are crazy expensive, so in general until you are at a certain level of professionalism/success does one also just have monitors provided by the venue?

6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

You will probably safely go your entire music career without NEEDING in ears. You guys might want them for a better mix at a certain point, but probably won’t be a necessity. I’ve rarely played a venue that didn’t have reference monitors. The little clubs/small stages sometimes send only the vocals and maybe kick drum through the PA. Sometimes those clubs don’t have wedge monitors for the band, but the room is small enough to easily hear the PA projecting anyways.

Aaaaand sometimes it all sounds like shit no matter what so you just fight through the issues and remember to have fun haha.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've never thought of PA as being the vocalist's responsibility. The band as a whole probably needs one at the jam space, and I've never played any venue where the PA (monitors and mics included) wasn't provided in some way or another. Get a mic for your jams. Work with your band if you need a PA to jam with. Bring your mic to shows if you prefer it over what they have available. Outside of that, everything else is bonus. Wireless, in ears, etc., are all just extras. Being prepared isn't a bad thing though, so get the things you think are worth being prepared with.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

In my personal experience, a house PA system is almost never available when you need one, and when the rare instance occurs when one is offered, it's either fifty years old or is too underpowered for the venue. I don't know where you guys are playing, but here in Notheastern VT, I own a PA system and I have no trouble finding bands who desperately need to borrow it on any given week.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Double post

...and for the record, this one for sure wasn't me: the original post appeared, then this double post appeared at least three seconds later.