Anyone into Watches?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keirosen, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I think, it's best to clarify that with themselves by mail.

2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Yeah I did ask them, and it's because they are grey market and don't offer the manufacturer's warranty, they just offer their own Dexclusive 2 year warranty which is what most Grey Market vendors do, they are just less well known than say Jomashop, but I have seen some positive reviews for deals with them, and it's supposed to be a legit watch.

Looking at the movement itself, it looks exactly the same, there are some slight differences on the rotor, but they have changed slight things about the movement over the years, I might ask on the Nomos subforum of watchuseek as they would be able to spot it if it's real or not.

The watch runs well, and when I tested it, it was gaining 3.5 seconds a day which seems to be in a good range, as from my reading anything below 5-10 seconds a day seems to be acceptable for a mechanical watch.

The nomos came in a nomos box and pouch, but it seems more spartan than what I would expect, just a manual and a cleaning cloth, and a zip up case, again I'll take pics and post on that Nomos subforum and see what they say. It doesn't have a certificate or warranty since that's what you forego on the grey market purchases.

Keirosen likes this.
  3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Here are pics I took to be able to judge if it's real or not, i'll email Nomos as well and see what they say!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keirosen likes this.
  4. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I'm curious about their reply. The watch and box both look like the real deal regarding the photos ... strangely I could only see them after clicking on "Reply". And 3.5 sec per day is superb, as anything below 5 sec too. 10 sec is a good average ... any more is disapointing nowadays, but can often be adjusted by a horologist.

A problem is the missing certificate, because it will drastically lower the resale value. But you know that from certain guitars, right?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I don't believe you get the certificate with grey market, but I may be wrong? Either way, I got this for cheaper than I have seen used ones going for, so I think even if I do sell it down the road I might hopefully be able to get most if not all my money back!

6. Kingcrimson

Kingcrimson Electra Glide

Here's one of my little jems. I'm partial to Seiko watches. I can't believe how little I paid for it. Stainless, keeps near perfect time, completely solar powered (no battery) - once fully charged will hold a charge for 10 months, day & date window at 3 o'clock position, quartz movement, bracelet features a push-button release clasp.

I only got the 100m (10ATM) water resistant cuz I like to take selfies wearing it in the shower. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keirosen likes this.
  7. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I don't have any grey market experience, so maybe ask in a watch forum. But a short research revealed, that some watches even get sold without original box.

But that usually applies to watches for posers like Breitling or Rolex, but a Nomos doesn't fall in this category and thankfully yours came with box.

If you will keep it forever, that's a non-issue, but if you want to sell it later, you might have problems finding someone, who buys a Nomos without papers ... real watch enthusiast won't, except when talking about vintage watches.

Keirosen likes this.
  8. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Grey markets are not authorized dealers. Jomoshop for instance cannot provide the factory warranty on the watches they sell. Period. If the card isn't from an AD, the manufacturer will not work on your watch under "warranty." Essentially, when the watch needs service, you could be looking at a rather large bill. I have no problem buying a rather inexpensive watch from the grey market, but there's no way I'd plop down Rolex or Omega money without the factory warranty on a new watch.

Keirosen likes this.
  9. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I got a new custom strap for my cerakoted Seiko Pepsi diver:
    [​IMG]

Aymara, Keirosen and JSanta like this.
  10. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Sure, but the warranty has nothing to do with the certificate of authenticity, that is missing in case of above Nomos as with many other grey market watches too. That's why I never would buy one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  11. Keirosen

Keirosen JazzMaster Whore

I love when I forget that I have an SSO account and check my posts. lool I feel like I can say I had a hand in getting Bulb addicted to watches. :woot:

12. Keirosen

Can't go wrong with a Pepsi dial. Gorgeous Seiko, brother.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  13. Keirosen

If you're ever looking for anything Oris again, hit me up. My store carries Oris, and we'd love to take care of ya.

14. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Absolutely correct - buying something that is authentic is important, I completely agree with that. But again, if someone is going to spend a good chunk of money (for me, that would be anything over a grand), getting the factory warranty is important. I would never advise anyone to purchase counterfeit items, watches or otherwise.

15. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I can confirm that from my own experience, because my first Oris was a warranty case ... the watchmaker of my jeweler failed to repair it, Oris support fixed it.

16. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I've been thinking of getting a SARB035. Looks so good on a leather strap in my opinion, and has a beautiful display back. What do y'all think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Aymara likes this.
  17. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

It's hard to go wrong with a Seiko automatic.

AxeHappy and Keirosen like this.
  18. Keirosen

Gorgeous watch. Seiko does an amazing job with their more understated designs.

19. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Haha sick, you guys got that Carl Brashear?

Keirosen likes this.
  20. Keirosen

Nah, Oris discontinued them and there's only around 300 in the states. They are planning on releasing another Bronze case watch, and they're being a little hush about the details, but maybe we'll see it next Baselworld!