Anyone into fidget or hand spinner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Mar 6, 2017.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

noticed people are really getting into these.

its a cool new thing...first found out about them when some students started building them with a 3-d printer at the local college.

ive got a cheap one and am ordering some other various styles.
    anyone here have/collect them? post up pics if you got 'em.

for those that are not familiar with them, here is what they look like,

simple plastic in various colors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more elaborate ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Never heard of them.

Are those skateboard bearings?

3. M3CHK1LLA

yes they are, that's how i first found out about them, the college students bought some bearings from me.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've seen these things online. I've also seen like little cubes with buttons and switches on them (which don't do anything).

I'm a person who constantly taps his foot, smokes (now, vapes), twirls mustache, picks cuticles, etc. and though I try not to, I'm sure I come off anxious to some degree. I haven't tried one of these products, but I don't understand how or why they would help if only that they give me something to do with my hands... but I mean, I've already got a smartphone in my pocket. Isn't a smartphone really the ultimate fidget?

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

i have this thing called a pen, that's my fidget spinner. I'm honestly surprised that something like this is taking off. I've been fidgety my whole life and made due without a fancy spinner :lol:

6. M3CHK1LLA

so yeah, here is the latest fidget toy...the cube. i just picked some up

[​IMG]

7. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

I constantly "fidget" with things too. It's not a bad thing, there are times when I can focus my attention on a task, let my hands go to town on something and have creative and meaningful outcomes. That's part of the workings of building guitars :lol:

8. milquetoast

milquetoast five cats in a coat

I've got a pretty bad habit of spinning my ring, which is really shouldn't do since it's got an engraving on the inside that dates it to 1922. Thankfully, my friend actually bought me one of those spinners, and it's been absolutely amazing. And very entertaining for the cat.

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've been thinking about getting one now after previously saying that my phone is my fidget. I realize now that a phone kinda requires your attention, but these don't. idk why that difference hadn't occurred to me, but it now has my curious

however, if you look up these spinners on amazon, it's kinda hard to choose. Prices are all over the place, from $2 to $50, I kinda have no idea how to choose one. I guess maybe I'll start cheap and if it totally sucks maybe I'll try a more expensive one, but then if that one doesn't do anything for me either I'll feel totally duped. Anyone ever see these in a brick and mortar shop?

I found one for 2 bucks + free shipping. I'll let you know how it works out when it gets to me after April 26th :lol:

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I guess China got it here ahead of schedule. I've been fidgeting with a white spinner, the cheapest one available for purchase online, looks like the shape of the ones in top picture of the OP. I'm not sure that there could be any reason to purchase an expensive one; what else could it possible do differently or better?

I can at least say that since I started playing with it yesterday afternoon I do not think I've bitten my nails. I'm apprehensive to use it at work though; I know it sounds silly because I probably already am but I don't know if I want to be perceived as the guy that's so f///ing weird that he has to play with toys at work.

11. M3CHK1LLA

schools have been letting the kids here locally have them in class to keep them focused. ive heard some businesses are doing it too.

ive seen some of these go for a few hundred dollars...especially some of the custom made metal ones.

12. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Where can I buy these? Would be awesome for work.

13. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

They're a bit of a fad here in Korea recently, and I've had to tell several students to put them away because they're a distraction to themselves and to the students around them. :lol:

14. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

My store has been inundated with calls and walk-ins over the past approx 2 weeks. On average I'm asked about these things anywhere from 5-10x a day. ... and we have none. Was actually thinking about trying to make some customs but I know that the way people are, that these things likely will no longer be in demand in a matter of weeks or months.