Anyone here use ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Strings of Hate, Sep 23, 2007.

1. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

the ER20s and Hearos Hi-Fi are literally the same thing. it used to even say so on the Etymotic website....not sure if it still does. basically it was in the dealer section, where Guitar Center was listed, and it said that they carried the ER20s re-labeled as Hearos Hi-Fi. that's what i use, i've been using them for about 3 years now, and they work really well.

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i got the cheap christmas tree plugs from walmart for about 2 bucks and they worked fine before we found our new bassist, now that we have him, i cant hear my highs, and then i take out the plugs and they are there in spades, i guess i can just feel the bass more ontop of cheap plugs

3. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

yep.
    i dunno. ive got some wierd christmas tree lookin ones too. the blue ones
    they take the edge off well, but you can still hear people talking at a normal volume fairly well when its quiet

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

BTW Thanks for this tip Mike, I've picked up a set of the ETYplugs and they're great :yesway:

Didn't want to bump the thread to say it, but since somebody else had a reason to bump it I thought I'd chime in ;)

5. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

HEAROS.com

:lol:

I use the ones below btw.. I find if I pull them out just slightly they work perfect :yesway:

HEAROS.com

6. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Glad they worked for you. I think they're a steal, especially considering the alternatives...

7. Rick Pierpont

Rick Pierpont SS.org Regular

I started using them off-stage years ago (but not enough) and then once I started playing more again, I wore them faithfully to practices too. I've always used the cheapo foam ones (33db) and had decent luck with them. I think I've been using them so long that my brain has "adapted" and things sound decent with them in. I can't stand being at a show without them. I bought a $15 pair from GC last year, but found them difficult to get in my ear correctly and was afraid of doing more damage, so back to the foam ones. I do want to invest in a really good pair one of these days (as well as in-ear monitors).

8. SymmetricScars

SymmetricScars SS.org Regular

God yes i use em!

My ears are way too important to me to be taking serious damage.

9. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

So nobody has anything to say about the Alpines or any other ear plugs as compared to the ETY/Hearos? Good to know that the ER-20s and the Hearos Hi-Fi are exactly the same, though. :yesway:

10. smueske

smueske SS.org Regular

I made the mistake of not using them for most of my life. Now my left ear shorts out at anything above 100 decibels. I use them now, have for about 4 years now. The only drawback I can see with earplugs is that it kind of fucks up your vocals, but like anything, it takes a little getting used to.

11. skinhead

skinhead Manager / RHLC ©

I use the standard 3M plugs, the orange ones. That are made of some type of foam.

12. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

I use ear plugs when I'm working stageman. It's from some kind of spoonge or something like that.

13. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

i knew i should come read this when i saw vova posted...

somehow in my mind was briefly
    yeah,
    having hearing ftw!

14. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

:scratch:

15. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedom™ Contributor

He changed "spoonge" to "splooge" - haha, semen joke, haha, get it? Splooge.

Haha.

[/12-year-old]

Jeff

16. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

I always use them during a band situation.

I'll even use them at home practicing, because you know, nothing quite feels like cranking an amp. :D

I do want to get a better set at some stage, as I've only got some cheap foam ones. Still, they do their job, and I've not gotten a ringing in my ears for years.

17. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

Do the earmolds have to be specially ordered and molded to my ears? Or is there some basic set you can buy?

18. Universalis

Universalis Defying gravity.

The most common yellow foam earplugs work fine for me, at practice or at a gig. When I'm short of earplugs and I have to go to a club or something in which music it's played really loud I take a sigarette's filter, I split it in two pieces, I bend each half and I stick the result in my ears, It's not scientifically certified, obviously. But trust me when I say that with that trick I cut out most part of the dangerous higher frequencies.

19. robanomoly

robanomoly ss.org newcomer

You may also want to check with a local Audiologist or hearing aid center about getting ear plugs that are molded to fit your ear canal. They are very comfortable and you can often get different filters for them. They are worth every penny!

As others have eluded, ear protection is not just for loud music. There was an episode of This Old House where an Audiologist showed that hammering can be just as, or more, damaging than a circular saw. I've gotten to the point of wearing ear plugs with noise cancelling headphones. The difference is suprising.

Protect your hearing. There aren't many things as annoying/frustrating/scary as when you can't get to sleep because of the loud ringing/whistling in your ears....and you know that will be with you for the rest of your life. I know.

20. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

The earmolds have to be made - most audiologists can do it - and then you buy a set (or multiple sets) of filters. Most use the Etymotic filters, I believe. (That's what I use).