Anyone here use ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Strings of Hate, Sep 23, 2007.

1. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Yeah, I've found that too. It's like your ears overload and loose the ability to make out the individual instruments clearly, then the ear plugs balance it out again.

2. Psychoface

Psychoface SS.org Addict

no doubt protect your ears!!!!!

3. Marko

Marko SS.org Regular

Do you guys use some specially-for-musicians plugs or something?

Where I live, the only ones I coud try were those that you can buy in hunting&fishing stores and I haven't had any good results with those:scratch: They do reduce the noise, but what good is that if i can't hear some "nuances" in sound, like - if im playing with distortion (true story - I once forgot to switch channels after one clean part and I played the rest of the song like that)...

4. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedomâ„¢ Contributor

Yeah, you can get them at any local music store (can't recommend GC or the like because I haven't heard of any being in Serbia, unfortunately) - orchestral and band supply stores would actually be the first place I'd look. If not, they can be ordered online.

I have some ringing that comes mainly from illness when I was little - that's also worth looking out for if you feel like raising wee ones and having them be able to hear you properly. Of course, after 9 or 10 you'll just be ignored anyway, but still...

Jeff

5. includao

includao Banned

they regenerated slowly, but if you damage it constantly you are fu***

6. PlanetJeff

PlanetJeff SS.org Regular

I have to wear ear plugs when I plug into a big amp or my ears will ring for awhile.

7. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

yup, I use earplugs all the time. It was awkward at first but now I've gotten used to em.

8. poisonelvis

poisonelvis windowlicker Contributor

everyone in my band wears em',live shows a must,or ears ring for days.

9. ogisha007

ogisha007 SS.org Regular

ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Ety-Plugs - Music & Concert Plugs

I think they ship worldwide. :wavey:

[Serbian]
    P.S. Ja sam isto iz Srbije, pa ako zelis da nesto iskombinujemo, baci poruku. I meni trebaju chepovi :)
    [/Serbian]

10. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yep, another really weird thing is if you swallow, you can hear the music really loud inside your head but not your ears :lol:

11. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

If I ever played at very loud volumes I would, but I have a huge problem with earbuds. Namely, when I was young I had a mastoidectomy to remove a cholosteatoma. So now not only am I about 45db deaf in my right ear anyways, but my right ear's ear canal is MUCH bigger than normal. I can actually stick my index finger in my ear to just short of the second joint. Needless to say, finding a set of earplugs that fit is a pain in the ass. I also can't go swimming anymore.

Just as a side note: thanks to the University of Washington. My cholosteatoma was bad enough that normally a radical mastoidectomy would have been done (removing the ear drum, most of the middle ear, leaving only the stapes), and had already covered my right facial nerve, but the guys down at UW did it for free, AND saved my middle ear and ear drum. I have very slight facial nerve paralysis on top of the hearing loss, but it's better than meningitis, brain abcesses, and total deafness. :yesway:

One of the main reasons I'm a pre-med transferring to UW next year now.

BTW, you know the Yngwie Malmsteen Hot Licks video? How the hell can that guy still hear when he was running like 25 heads through 100 cabs? Jesus H Christ.

12. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

I am 32 now and have been using earplugs since I was 16. I use whatever I can find in the drug store or supermarket, and they have always worked fine for me. The little foam ones are my preference, rated at 29dB reduction.

I had been to a few concerts that made me lose my hearing for a few hours afterward (Whitesnake w/ Vai, for one), but when I was 16 I jammed with a coworker's metal band that was sans bassist. They were all twice my age (my coworker was Nick, from the meat department - I worked in a supermarket) and real heavy metal badasses.

We jammed in a practice room that was maybe 15' X 12', or so, 2 full out guitar rigs, my bass rig, and a double bass drummer on 'roids. After about an hour, I could not hear anything they said. I could hear that guitars that were bleeding my brain, but when the music stopped and Nick shouted at me from about 4' away, I swear I couldn't hear a damn thing. :scream:

I made a call from a pay phone for a ride home after that, just talking and repeating who I was and hoping someone had answered the phone because I had no way of knowing.

That freaked me out, and now I am anal about ALWAYS having earplugs. Practice, gigs, clubs (dancing -when I was younger!), etc. Those feedback spikes are killers, too.

As has been said, the ears do slowly regenerate the damaged nerve tissue, but it is very slow. Any subsequent injury will negate that quickly. What no one else mentioned, is that we all gradually lose our hearing naturally. Men more than women. It is the higher frequencies that go first.

I used to have mild tinnitus, but much of this has receded with time and proper protection.

Jason likes this.
  13. dissident

dissident SS.org Regular

We had a lecture on this at uni the other day and it was pretty fucking scary. Its something like sound at 85 db can damage your hearing and some concerts get to around 130 db. The woman who was doing it seemed pretty ott about things though she said if you have to speak louder than normal to be heard the music is too loud LOL. Ear plugs all the way for me.

14. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

I wear these to big club shows religiously, not so much at practice though, becuase we don't play that loud anymore (once we lost our REAL drummer, we started turning way down, frankly I don't miss the volume).

15. arnoroth661

arnoroth661 Tremol-no User Contributor

Just bought the Hearos rock and roll set... Have yet to play with a drummer yet. We'll see! :yesway: :hbang:

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

There is an even better solution to this problem than just blocking out the sound. It's expensive, but man is it worth it. Get one of these and a cheap Behringer line mixer, and you're set, IMO. I don't use one, but my singer does, and eventually everyone in our band will be using these.

Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G2 | Sweetwater.com

[​IMG]

17. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

inner ear monitors are DEFINITELY the way to go, and my own band is working towards getting one. myself, i just bought a pair of those Hearos, the white ones that look like Xmas trees, and wore them at my gig last night. they worked really well :yesway:

18. ChaNce

ChaNce Auto-banned?

Vince, how does that work for live settings? Where do you plug it in? How do you get the house mix? How do you make sure the House guy doesnt crank it and blow out your ears?

I don't get it, but I would love to go to monitors.

I just bought them:)

19. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

I know some of you don't like when old threads get bumped, but it didn't make sense for me to make a new one. After this recent incident with my tubes being bad for who knows how long without me even noticing because of my cheap ear plugs, I decided it was probably time to get some better ones. I'll probably end up with the Alpines, ER-20s, or the similar looking Hearos. Does anyone have experience with more than one of these? Did any one seem better than the others? Are the Alpines really that much better, or are you just paying for the multiple filters? I'm trying to get the flattest response possible, and I can probably go a bit more expensive than the Alpines if there's something else that's better.

20. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

Good you bumped this thread. My Dad told me a few days ago that he has permanent hearing damage from listening to loud music all the time (80s hair metal :lol:) He hears an annoying low hum 24/7 now :wallbash:

I'm buying earplugs.