Anyone here use ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Strings of Hate, Sep 23, 2007.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I use these too.

And "turning down" is not an option at practice. Our drummers kit, even without triggers, is very loud. We need to turn our VHT/Mesa's up to near-gigging levels for it to sound balanced. I just use the earplugs at both practice or shows most of the time.

I unfortunately do have Tinnitus, but I got it at a Type O Negative show, which wasn't even remotely loud. What did me in was sustained harmonic feedback that their guitarist Kenny Hickey kept doing. That can really fuck you up, even if it's not loud.

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

actually, i was told in the videos that the hairs do grow back but not nearly to what it was prior to the injury and that it takes about a year for what little bit that will come back to grow, and usually is reinjured inbetween that time, hence the permenant damage

3. arnoroth661

arnoroth661 Tremol-no User Contributor

I'm wearing my $1 hearos foam set... I can't even hear myself type. It's nice... But now I listen to the high pitched ringing in my ears. I guess it's what you call hearing damage? '

I've played with a drummer before... Unfortunately he beats the shit out of his stuff. This ringing is starting to get unbearable.

I'm only 17. :mad: :wallbash:

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Ear plugs at every concert i go to, and any time i've jammed with people or been in band practice situations.

I actually like wearing them at concerts, it makes all the instruments easier to hear, i think. its like ear protection+Mixing.

5. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

I used to use these and loved them, but they don't sell them locally anymore:
    [​IMG]

Now I use these, because it's all I could find locally:
    [​IMG]

6. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

:eek: I never expected that from you ozzy :noplease:

7. arnoroth661

Self bump. Any enlightenment on this situation? :scratch:

8. Scarve

Scarve SS.org Regular

Yeah man, your ringing is due mainly to an overload on the hair cells that are around the frequency ringing you actually hear. If it stops, then consider yourself very lucky to have a chance to do what's necessary : protect your hearing. Because it's always a sign of an upcoming permanent damage. And when those cells die definately, it may ring forever, loud or not.

Basically, permanent Tinnitus is when hair cells die and brain choose to send a permanent signal to compensate.

Again, PROTECT YOUR FUCKIN EARS! Even if you have to buy custom molded earplugs. It worth more than what you'll be paying for. I have much concern about it, trust me...

I'm a victim of a 140dB headphone/microphone feedback. I know what permanent critical Tinnitus can be, as well as hearing loss. People wo don't have that stuff don't even know how much they are lucky :)

But well, life goes on and I slowy learn to somehow deal with this shit.

My 2 cents.

arnoroth661 likes this.
  9. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

I can't agree more with this.

10. arnoroth661

Hmm. So right as I get interested in hearing protection I find my hearing has already been damaged somewhat. :noplease: I bet this has all the world to do with being around a drummer and a marching band. As far as I know, I hardly play my guitar or ipod loud enough to hurt me. :rant:

Sigh.

11. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

12. BigM555

BigM555 I SS.org Salute You! Contributor

It's worth doing some research. You may be surprised to find that any sound levels much above normal human conversation can eventually lead to the symptoms already mentioned in this thread. Even simple things like driving around with your window open has been shown to contribute to hearing loss on that side.

And you have to keep in mind that it's cumulative. The little hairs are kind of like a forest of trees with sound being the wind blowing on them. If the wind (aka; sound) keeps up long enough, the tree (aka; hair) eventually gives way and falls over. Once a tree (aka; hair) falls over there's no standing it back up. Research may have shown different recently but from my own learnings in the past I've been informed that the trees in this forest DON'T grow back......EVER! :spock:

I've been extremely lucky as my hearing is still pretty good even after the onslaught I survived at an Yngwie concert in the early 90's. Loudest F'n thing I've ever been exposed to in my life! :eek: My ears rang for 4 DAYS!! Since that time I've become much more conscious about preserving what's left (fortunately, most of it).

BigM555 recalls tearing the tags out of his shoes and peeling the paper off of tinfoil from cigarette packs to use as earplugs as there was no more TP left in the restrooms!

arnoroth661 likes this.
  13. Ishan

Ishan Giant Fridge Magnet Contributor

I use those too, cheap, very effective, sound great. I use them at band reharsal, every concert I go to, any noisy environement. And I can still talk with friends with those in my ears as they don't cut the treble too much.
    The only thing I don't really like about them is the silicon hurt my hear canal a bit, so some talcum is really recommended but that maybe just me...

14. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I also have molded ear plugs. I got the 15 db attenuators. You can get the attenuators anywheres from like 5-40 db or something, in increments of 5. They just snap out. I'll take pics of them later, they're pretty nifty. My mother got them for me when I started drumming :lol:

15. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

16. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Yeah, I've had a kit for a couple of years now. I wouldn't really call myself a drummer, more like someone who owns a drum kit :lol:

17. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I've contemplated getting custom-molded ones, too.

18. arnoroth661

Hmmm. I did play a really high pinched harmonic with a peavey 2x12 valveking at guitar center recently... And I was around a drummer in the same store. Perhaps my ringing has something to do with those occurances?

I don't remember experiencing ringing this loud earlier. :scratch:

... And by loud, I mean it's just... there. Always noticable, regardless of the volume of things surrounding me. It seems like it's almost the volume of me typing. :nuts:

19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've encountered too many monitor spikes not too, but in rehearsals I mostly wore one just in the left ear, as I was positioned stage right. Our drummer's ride cymbal used to just kill me, but since nothing was on my right but my keyboard, I didn't need one in my right ear that often.

On stage, I just didn't trust what many of these clubs call a sound tech, so I got used to playing many a gig by hearing the drummer, vocs in the monitor, & on muscle memory alone. I've had many gigs where the monitors are so lound that I didn't hear a note of my own playing, but since we were so rehearsed, most of the time the audience never noticed that we didn't hear everything perfect on stage.

Nowadays, since I'm playing mostly at church, we monitor through an Aviom system, and I couldn't be happier, stereo earphone monitoring is the only way to go.

20. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Damned if I can remember any more, it was a few years back. I just googled "ear plugs" in the UK and checked a few places out.