Anyone here use ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Strings of Hate, Sep 23, 2007.

1. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

hi fellers, i never used ear plugs for jammin, but the last time i jammed with my new band i had ringing in my ears for 2 days straight, i wore ear plugs tonight, i told them "you might think i'm a pussy, but i wont be deaf for 2 days" and of course they didnt care, but i was just curious if anyone else uses them and what decible rating works best for you?

2. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

Of course I use them. I don't want to destroy my hearing. I use EAR christmas tree looking things. The standard yellow foam plugs just sound terrible.

3. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

I have tried to use them and couldn't never really get into them.. I feel to disconnected..

Drummers seem to be able to use them easier.. Maybe cause there not playing notes :shrug:

4. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

Absolutely, every time!

I wanna be able to hear what I'm playing for the rest of my life. That ringing you're hearing is because you've "permanently" damaged your receptors in your ear. Each time you hear ringing, you've damaged your ears.

It ain't worth it.

5. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

I use them all the time at practice.

6. BigM555

BigM555 I SS.org Salute You! Contributor

Don't use them every time I jam but I absolutely grab for them when the sound levels get too high for comfort. Honestly it's probably already too late at that point.

Even moderate levels can permanently damage your hearing with repeated exposure.

It's a good idea. Get a good pair and they won't bother you as much. I find once I get used to them things actually sound better.

7. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Or here is a :idea: TURN DOWN!!! 10 times out of 10 practice sounds waaay better anyway.

I do like this have the bassist get to be able to comfortably be heard along with the drummer..then add guitars.. Your sound will be tighter too :agreed:

8. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

The only time I would need them would be when my 13 year old sister screams. I swear, she makes my ears resonate and creates subharmonics inside my head from being so loud. :rant:

I play at volumes only slightly higher then an average conversation most of the time, so it's no problem for me.

9. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Every practice, and every show whether I'm playing or watching. I like those reusable three-tier ones. We practice in the garage (which is also my room), so the high frequencies bouncing all over the place are murder on ears. I've tried explaining to my band mates that the ringing is the most obvious sign of permanent hearing loss, but they seem to have more or less the same attitude as your band mates about it.

10. BigM555

BigM555 I SS.org Salute You! Contributor

Better to be ridiculed and keep your hearing than be a deaf "cool guy" :nuts:

11. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

...And you can't even hear them ridicule you after inserting some -50db ear protection. :D

12. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

jason, turning it down isnt really an option sometimes when your playing with a live drummer, they are so damn loud!
    and i'v been told the ringing has something to do with little hairs in your ear that play a part in your hearing, but they grow back to an extent(this info is from some ppe videos they show to welders and metal workers, (i'm a welder))

13. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

That's good news for me! I didn't exactly take the best care of my ears when I was younger. I thought over time I had just gotten used to it, but maybe a little bit of my hearing has come back. Awesome.

14. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

15. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I haven't tried the Alpines, but I can definitely recommend the Etymotics - I have their musician's earmold plugs that I wear at every show and rehearsal, and a set of their ETYplugs that I wear when I go to shows. Their response is almost as flat as the musician's plugs, and they're $12!

16. ogisha007

ogisha007 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I definitely use earplugs as much as I can when the volume level is too high. I need to get a set of those Etymotics though, the foam ones I'm using currently take off waaaay too much highs and mids.

And yes, I get 'witty remarks' sometimes 'cause of it, but I don't care. People get used to seeing them and I know it's for my own good.
    Besides, they won't be the ones laughing when they go half-deaf and get tinnitus.

17. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. :nono: That ringing in your ear is called "Tinnitus" and "hairs growing back" would not solve it. If you hear it, you're doing permanent damage to your hearing. :shrug: No two ways about it, and science hasn't developed anything (other than a hearing aid lol) to fix it later on in life so I'd wear ear plugs over being called "uncool" by your friends. :rolleyes: Your hearing is WAY more valuable. :wavey:

Tinnitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read up on it. :yesway: I never used to wear earplugs either until I realized what I was doing and now any time I'm going somewhere where I'll be subjected to music "at volume" I always bring plugs or ask someone who might have them. In Dave's case, I ask him to chop the single plug he has left in two.... :rofl: Thanks again Dave! :yesway:

18. SunburnedCactus

SunburnedCactus My slinky!!

Nice list of musicians on that page...

Interestingly there is a type of tinnitus (objective or pulsatile) where the ear is actually making an audible sound.

19. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

in my band, we tend to keep the stage volume pretty low. this is to keep our TWO singers from having to blast their voices over us, and to keep their mic's clean in the mix.

and, my drummer is the coolest, and doesn't beat the shit out of his kit :yesway:

but, i always wear hearing protection at work on the production floor.

20. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

I almost always wear earplugs when jamming with people (unless I've misjudged how loud they'll be, or I've simply forgotten them at home :lol: ) and most shows. I'll go without earplugs for some bigger concerts (Tool, NIN, anything where I want to feel the energy of the show properly, since it's sometimes lost for me with earplugs in) but always use them in smaller clubs because the sound is always terrible and way too loud.