Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Charles, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

I am getting to the point in my life im starting to narrow down the stuff i like and cut the wheat from the chaff. Metal wise im still into my Alter Bridge / Sevendust / Staind / Machine Head / Metallica / In Flames / Arch Enemy / Chimaira / Slipknot / Dream Theater and all the bands ive mentioned associated bands stuff. Also more newer bands like Animals As Leaders / Trivium / Unearth are in mu iTunes library as well, not to mention Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

However that has made me look for more new music elaswhere, in the past 5 years ive picked up Joe Bonnamassa, Beth Heart, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum and more country and blues artists.

I do listen to some pop music, but not much of it, its limited to Jesse J and The Script and maybes some Elle Goulding and some Scottish based artists like Amy MacDonald as well.

However, im leaning more towards country at the moment, but my metal roots still come out! You can take the boy outa metal but you cant take metal out the boy you could say!

2. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Not to start the whole "genre-flame-fest," but I think there should be a giant poll or something as to the "accepted" status of some of these folks as metal. Not that it matters here in the slightest, but it's always irked me when people think that Slipknot and Alterbridge are metal. The conversation can quickly go in a weird direction when you find someone who says they listen to metal and yet has no idea what you're talking about when you rattle off a few "big names."

Regardless, I really dig post rock and ambient stuff aside from metal. Nest's "Retold" gets a constant spot in my rotation, if not only to fall asleep to it every night...and the other iteration of Nest isn't bad either.

3. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

I do not listen to metal. My tastes Include Jazz, Classical, Folk, World, instrumental, New Age, and Ambient.

4. Apatheosis

Apatheosis ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ

I'm a prog guy at heart, but I mainly listen to electronic music now. Specifically IDM.

5. WesleyG

WesleyG SS.org Regular

That's all I used to listen to about 10 years ago. I still listen to it every now and then, however, my favorite bands are A Lot Like Birds and Dance Gavin, Dance.

6. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

7. Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister SS.org Regular

I listen to a myriad of different musical genres but mostly its anything between Kate Bush and Bolt Thrower. :D

Asides from Metal, classic and prog rock, I love Gothic rock, film soundtracks, Jazz, Classical, Baroque, and Opera, and Romantic music, punk, Gary Numan, Kate Bush, The Beetles, Laibach, Clan Of Xymox, Linea Aspera, to name a few !!!. :)

8. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I have found myself moving away from metal (though I do love it) to more jazz and classical guitar. At work my Pandora channel is a cross between The Rosenberg Trio and Andres Segovia.

I have been taking jazz lessons for the past few months and that has certainly fueled my love for jazz even though I am just at the infant stages of learning to play it.

9. bondmorkret

bondmorkret SS.org Regular

I listen to loads of fusion and jazz mainly, despite playing in a metal band and having done so for about 10 years!

10. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

The past 1 and a half year, I have completely stopped listening to metal. I mean, if it will pop on iTunes I won't mind, but mainly I listen to jazz (trad, bebop and modern mostly), also fusion and some classical.

Kurt, gives me major Goosebumps.