Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Charles, Aug 23, 2010.

1. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Fiuczynski! Man, that guy's a *monster*. :yesway:

2. Blake1970

Blake1970 SS.org Regular

I listen to anything.

3. ChronicConsumer

ChronicConsumer SS.org Regular

I don't really limit myself to genres because usually, there are good and bad bands in each genre. Still listen to some metal (SikTh and Opeth come to mind), but I completely grew out of my Children of Bodom phase. Will be studying music theory and history next year, which I really look forward to as I've recently been getting into a lot of Paganini, Bach, Chopin and Debussy. Also, my brother is really into jazz so I listen to a lot of that too, mostly Dave Brubeck (and Paul Desmond), Charlie Parker and Joe Pass.. And I like a lot of prog(rock,metal, anything), mostly King Crimson / Rush prog, not Dream Theater prog(if that makes sense).

I guess my musical philosophy is, I'll listen to it if it touches me - if it doesn't make me feel anything, if it doesn't reach out and drag me in, I'm not really interested.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Depends on what day it is... right now going through a hair metal phase. I've been listening to a lot of the newer releases from those bands. Some really ridiculously good hair metal has been released in the last 10 years, but that genre isn't big in the states... Too bad, because I think a lot of people are missing out on some good shit! For example, I wasn't that big of a fan of Night Ranger in the 80s/90s, but their newer stuff is awesome. Anyways, here's some of what I'm listening to:

Night Ranger - Hole in the Sun and Somewhere in California
    Mr Big - What If?
    Tesla - Forevermore (my fav album of late)
    Whitesnake - Forever More
    Winger - IV and Karma

Plus I've been listening to the older stuff from Kings X, Alice in Chains, Tesla, and Mr Big.

For newer stuff, anyone else listen to Aranda?

5. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Ambient Post-Rock; Leech's new effort is especially tasty.

6. mustache79

mustache79 I like to play

Classic rock Rush- Pink Floyd, 90's rock/alternative i.e Pearl Jam- Alice in Chains- Soundgarden, other- Neil Young, Eddie Vedder solo stuff., Elton John...

Just depends on the mood. Sometimes I want to trance out to Meshuggah, or feel the need for some Nile, Lamb of God, or some type of metal flavor.

7. guitarmadillo

guitarmadillo Son of Popsyche7

I don't listen to metal at all. I can listen to light metal, anything heavier just makes me want to walk away. I listen to blues, classic rock, hard rock (pretty much zeppelin) and house and dubstep. I also like Pink Floyd and New Order.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. AgentOrange

AgentOrange SS.org Regular

Well , I'm into quite alot off Reggae , Punk , Jazz , Grunge and aswell as old school hip hop and rap.

9. tristanroyster

tristanroyster SS.org Regular

10. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

You mean you don't listen to Periphery?

11. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

I listened to alot if not complete metal when I was 14, but from then progressing to the end of my teens this year I've really found a bigger interested in more classical, baroque and romantic music. I just find the use of melody and the ability to create a dark and eerie sound without the use of distortion or screamed vocals more appealing. You know?

I also have this infatuation with electronica, but not like dubstep. Just straight up happy-hardcore or chip tunes will keep the flow going.

Jazz is still a tad of a scary place for me, I want to delve more into it since I wanna learn more about the styles and techniques for my own progression as a musician.

12. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

This is totally it. It speaks to a whole different part of me.:agreed:

13. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Listened to a lot of Dubstep and Hip-Hop recently (the cream of the crop, obviously) and I can safely say it's been a breath of fresh after listening to only Death Metal for two years.

14. Semichastny

Semichastny SS.org Regular

I barely listen to metal anymore, very few bands hold my interest and the fans are insufferable. I mostly listen to jazz, metalcore, classical, and electronica now. Will Haven and Jonwayne have been on my playlists alot.

15. skarz

skarz SS.org Regular

Just reviving this thread a little bit as it is interesting.

Well, I use to listen to metal and skapunk and "heavy" music back in the days, but now I'm more in electronic music (drum'n bass, dubstep, global ghettotech) reggae, jazz and malagasy music.

For those who don't know what it sound like :

D'gary (one of the great guitar player of Madagascar):

D'gary live 2002 - YouTube

The late Tôty (great bass player):

-tôty - - YouTube

16. Pablo Zuta

Pablo Zuta STFU

I think is 70% Metal 30% Jazz this days for me.

17. ToMurderAMachine

ToMurderAMachine SS.org Regular

I predominantly "write" metal and rock riffs, but as far as recreational listening is concerned, its normally folk music or prog-indie (ie, circa survive, tides of man, HRVRD, PM today, The Dear Hunter, etc)

18. slenderman

slenderman SS.org Regular

Don't really listen to metal at all, and when I do it's generally Nu metal. Favorite band ever is Mars Volta

19. fps

fps Kit

I listen predominantly to rock music. I'd include Tool, Soundgarden and bands like that in the list of things that don't tip into metal. That's where I tend to find the music I really connect to. If I listen to metal, it tends to be death metal. I'm listening to Art Blakey's Live At Birdland Volume 2 a lot again now, and I'm looking forward to getting an acoustic and really learning to play it, and get into acoustic guitar.

20. ShadowAMD

ShadowAMD SS.org Regular

Everything I do musically sounds swedish?.. I like pop / rock / metal / classical / dance / game soundtracks (Ever heard Nier soundtrack?)..

Sometimes I wish I didn't do metal other times, I wish I would only do metal.. I'm all over the place and so is my career as a musician ha!..