Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Charles, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Bouillestfu

Bouillestfu SS.org Regular

I've always been big into Metal! I started off listening to my father's old Rock Records and Pink Floyd is still my big #1 but from there I grew into the most well known guitar oriented genre out there: Metal! Got into Neoclassical metal as its called and celtic/medieval metal: Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Kalmah, Eluveitie, Suidakra. Although I still love these bands when I got my first 7 string (with no 7 string bands in my repertoire) I automatically associated it with smoother deeper playing. I was trying to achieve more of a mellow sound; see Buckethead's Colma album for reference.

From there, don't ask how, I've fallen for classical/spanish guitar.

http://youtu.be/oEfFbuT3I6A

I've been listening, for hours on end to Milos Kardaglic's Mediteraneo.

2. fps

fps Kit

I'm mainly into rock music, modern hard rock from Chains and Soundgarden on, also on a big Bartok kick right now.

3. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

One of my good friends recommended a take a listen to Fiona Apple, since I seem to have a predominantly male iTunes, something I needed to rectify.

Pretty much all I have been listening to recently

4. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

The only 'metal' bands I actively listen to are Iron Maiden, Metallica and Dream Theater.

Verging on that, I have Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Deep Purple. But I'd personally (against other peoples' judgments) lump them more alongside the heavier of the Classic Rock bands.

I grew up mainly with The Beatles, Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones, which is where I really place my musical heritage.

Then I discovered electronica- Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and so on. And I also grew up with Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

Rock bands then turned up- Led Zeppelin, the above mentioned metal bands and Blue Oyster Cult. (My uncle brought over Led Zep IV and Imaginos when I was about 16- I can really say those two albums changed my life).

That aside, a bit of jazz, more modern electronica (particularly The Chemical Brothers) and classical, some movie sountracks and even some pop music.

But the thing that does strike me with this site is that, despite the 7 string world being predominantly metal oriented, there is an encouraging diversity of musical tastes and general respect just for music (even if Nirvana and Jack White do take a bit of an unneccesary beating sometimes!! :) ).

So- it's a pleasure to be on here folks and long may it remain that way!

5. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

I'm a classical music fan. Hardly listen to anything else aside from what I hear in video games and an occasional youtube video. I have a massive 400gb collection encoded in lame v0, all classical.

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

I grew up with older metal, ala Priest and Maiden, but I don't care for a lot of the extreme stuff that the forumites recommend around here. Nowadays, I listen to a lot of country, jazz, and classical. I also dig a lot of J-Pop and J-Rock.

I don't even own a seven... so what do I know?! Ha.

7. Judas Prius

Judas Prius SS.org Regular

I'm right there with ya... I grew up playing 80's rock/metal. I still listen to it sometimes, but predominantly I listen to and play bluegrass, jazz, country, rockabilly.

Metal just doesn't do anything for me. To my ears, "tone" doesn't seem to exist anymore in rock/metal.

I have a 7, but I use it for jazz and walking bass lines. Not very good at it yet, but it sure is fun :)

As Jimmy Bruno said..."Joe Pass did pretty good with 6 strings" :lol:

8. MartinMTL

MartinMTL SS.org Regular

I used to be 100% metal, but now I have really branched out. Jazz, indie rock, folk, bluegrass, even certain hip hop and rap (A tribe called quest in particular). I still listen to my share of deathcore/prog/whatever subgenre but I need variety.

The thing for me is that the weather really affects what I listen to. It is not possible for me to listen to whitechapel on a sunny day. It just does not work. Rain, snow, and sun all bring about different genres for me. Maybe I am just weird.

9. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Hmmm... I'd say I'm about 40% metal, 40% punk, 10% pop-rock/pop-punk, and 10% jazz.

10. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

11. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

Right now I listen almost exlusively to (instrumental) metal, but I do also listen to lots of other stuff. Off the top of my head, stuff like

Dinosaur Jr (my favorite band actually)
    J Mascis + The Fog
    Mike Johnson
    Pavement
    Built to Spill
    Sunny Day Real Estate
    Jawbreaker
    Jets to Brazil
    Minor Threat
    Fugazi
    Embrace
    Mineral
    Texas is the Reason
    Into Another
    The Spinanes
    Buffalo Tom
    Gorilla Biscuits
    Youth of Today
    Insted
    Quicksand
    Gray Matter
    Avail
    Pixies
    At the Drive In
    Dead Kennedys
    Guided by Voices
    7 Seconds
    Rites of Spring
    Farside
    Archers of Loaf

12. JazzandMetal

JazzandMetal SS.org Regular

I have rarely listened predominantly to metal. I have always loved rock and electronic, and some r&B and pop, such as:

Fall Out Boy
    All All Rejects
    Panic at the Disco
    Mariah Carey
    Dragonforce
    Flyleaf
    P.O.D.
    Armin Van Buuren

A few years ago my tastes changed from rock and pop, and got wider both ways. I got into heavier stuff like Disturbed (don;t listen to them much anymore though). I got Aja by Steely Dan and have listened to that numerous times. It is one of my all time favorite albums. The James Labrie band also amazed me with his Elements of Persuasion and Static Impulse.

I love Animals as Leaders. Super good. Probably why I like some jazz now, such as Kind of Blue, Norah Jones, etc.

I have left out literally a hundred bands. If anyone cares to know, I can post more in depth.

So now I am the most into metal I ever was, but I only listen to it half the time.

13. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

For me I listen to a lot of metal, but at the same time, a lot of other stuff as well. I grew up on Pink Floyd. Rush got me to pick up a guitar. Blink 182 and the Cure were just plane fun to rock out too. Then I got into Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc. Dream Theater Changed how I wanted to play. But now, after playing jazz (which is actually the main reason I got into ERG's) I have really broadened my horizons. I listen to pop, rock, baroque, jazz, metal. Depends on the day.

14. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

I still listen to metal quite a bit, but over the past year, my jazz listening has grown immensely, to the point now where its at least equal with metal

15. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

I consider myself to like heavy music but often i find myself not listening to it on a regular basis. Things like RHCP are more often the content of my everyday mix.

16. metale

metale SS.org Regular

^+1

RHCP are my favourite band. I listen to and like everything, from Korn to Blink 182, from Pink Floyd to Muse.

17. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

I'm pretty much exclusively listening to jazz these days, much to mine own dismay.

The amount of energy that comes from improvisation and group improvisation is hard to match, and once you fall in love with REALLY extended harmony, everything else seems so flat.

I took a gig doing some accompaniment for a classical singer on keys, and despite 15-16 years of devoting myself to and living in the classical world, couldn't really do it.

18. bob123

bob123 Banned

Not a metal head.

Bands I listen to predominantly ->
    Rush
    Van Halen
    Satch
    Vai
    Armin Van Buuren
    Simon Patterson
    Motley Crue

And .... pop music... sorry guys, some of its catchy to me ;)

JazzandMetal likes this.
  19. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Some pop music is pretty good, not gonna lie.

I grew up on progressive rock and jazz, so they're a big part of my library. Lots of instrumental rock too. Some classical, mostly Romantic and 20th century-era stuff, and a few soundtracks. The only "metal" artists that get regular playtime in my library are the ones that mix in elements from other styles. Even then I usually listen to their lighter tracks moreso than the heavier ones.

20. The Only Factor

The Only Factor Banned

Though predominantly a metal-head, there's a lot of stuff I've been listening to that isn't metal and find myself greatly influenced and inspired by. Some of such bands/acts would be:
    -Screaming Headless Torsos
    -Toto, surprisingly really into now when I never really was before.
    -Soulive
    -Pink Floyd
    -Rush
    -Rap/Hip-hop: ranging from Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Dirty Vegas, Redman, Method Man/Wu-Tang...
    -The Guess Who
    -Jethro Tull
    -Prince

While the hard and heavy stuff always hits most of the nerves and tensions, there's some of this other stuff that hits some of those other nerves that sometimes the metal don't hit. Not to mention, some of the things you can hear and things you can pick up and incorporate into your own style and playing can be greatly diversified from other styles and genres. IMHO, anything that makes you move to the beat or the groove is good.