Anyone here from Brussels? What is it like there now?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Nick, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

I'm due to attend the Nidrosian Black Mass V festival there and I'm flying in on Monday next week (it starts on Wednesday).

I'm really looking for a bit of guidance on what the city is actually like at the moment. Its hard to get a straight answer out of the guys running the festival as they seem hell bent on it going ahead despite the current terror alert status.

I would imagine the media are overplaying the level of fear in the city just now but I'm really just looking for some guidance on what its like there at the moment.

I have not paid for my hotel yet and could probably sell the tickets quite easily but I'd be really disappointed to miss some of the bands playing. That said, if I am literally going to be looking over my shoulder the whole time I wont enjoy it so just wondering if anyone has some insight?

2. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Hey nick, I'm going as well! What hotel are you staying at?

The current situation is tricky for the organisation as they're under a ton of pressure - both from the authorities and a bunch of whiney black metal fans.

My friend (who's attending as well) his sister lives in the city and she says it seems alright. I mean yeah it's a little tense especially with all the police etc around, but things are starting to calm down. Public schools should have opened again today as well as the metro stations. The venue also has a couple of other gigs coming up which according to Facebook won't be cancelled so I take it the area is safe enough.

What you should also realise is that the current threat level means high chance of big attacks. Having to look over your shoulder shouldn't really be a thing as it's unlikely they're targeting individuals. Previous edition (in Feb 2013) I spoke to some people who said they were harassed at night and that's always a risk but I'm sure the same risk is there when you're in a shady area in Glasgow at night.

3. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

Hey thanks for the update I'm in the theater hotel quite close to the venue.

Yeah I'm aware there is little chance of being singled out, what I was meaning was in the actual event itself. I know the organizer said it will be fine but if other events are cancelled and there is a lack of viable targets just by the law of averages the festival itself is at an increased risk just because its the only large gathering of people.

Having police/army around is fine with me the more of them the better!

My other concern is that some of the bands have cancelled. I know the guy said none have but quite frankly, I don't believe him!

4. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

We'll be neighbours then, we're staying there as well!

I'm not sure if bands have cancelled. I trust Ole and Leslie enough to not give us bollocks stories.

5. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

Haha cool I think its going to be full of people from the festival. Are there good pubs nearby?