Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Different things work for different people of course.
    Having said that, most of the guys I've trained with (myself included) do better with a low number of extended sets instead of banging away for set after set of many seperate excersises per muscle group.

For example on chest, a couple extended worksets on bench should do the trick.
    If you have a reliable and focused spotter/s then do a normal pyramid style warmup, then when it's time to do your work sets try going un-assisted until you hit the wall, then have your spotter barely touch the bar enough to help you squeeze out an additional rep or three.

If you don't have a sufficiantly strong or reliable spotter who knows how to help on forced reps, then just go until you hit failure then with zero seconds rest hit the floor and do pushups until failure (shouldn't take too many reps if you were already pumped and burning good).
    This is effectively just a drop-set.

On other lifts that are a bit safer to do alone, these drop-sets can be a very productive way to accomplish alot with a lower volume style workout.
    I absolutely love triple drop sets for shoulder and back excersises.
    I'll ladder up to a weight that's right for 8-10 reps on behind the head overhead barbell press (approx 155-175), then upon failure I'll pull off one or two pairs of 10s and immediately start back in (takes about 10-15 seconds actually if alone) and once again rep until failure then pulloff another pair of tens and bang out a few more reps.
    The pump and burn is tremendous.
    Drop sets and forced reps are an especially effective tool when using smith-machines and cables (just because they're safer and quicker to change the pins).

Extra intensity techniques are great but also very demanding on your recovery systems, so use them wisely and lower the total training volume when using alot of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm51oFn-u2g

2. Aevolve

Aevolve Yugen.

Well I'd like strength, and I'd like it to show. So I guess an even helping of both?
    A few weeks ago I sprained my rotator cuff and I'll be getting back into lifts that involve my shoulders when I have someone educated to double-check my form. Before I hurt it I was doing:
    - Flat barbell bench 4-6x3
    - Flat dumbbell bench 4-6x3
    - Incline dumbbell bench 4-6x3
    - Cable crossovers 4-6x3

I eat as clean as I can, try to maximize protein and minimize fat. I'll have to admit I eat a good amount of carbs as well (multigrain bread mainly) and lots of skim organic milk.
    I'm not sure of my max, as I've never had the opportunity to test. I'm 5'9"-5'10" and about 150 lbs. Before I hurt my shoulder I could rep 155 eight times. I'd rather not have to do any sort of lift that could cause unnecessary strain on my shoulders for fear of exacerbating any sort of injury that may be left over. I'm being very careful with them.
    Thanks for the info man :) very helpful, I'll have to try it out.

3. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

lol, it wasn't mostly dbol. Dbol is a secondary compound, as is NPP. The staple was Primo. He was actually running a very conservative amount of Primo all things considered. The dbol on the other hand was ran fairly high, but more concerning was the LENGTH he ran it for. I saw something like 20 weeks plus 6 weeks for a bridge (bridge doesn't even make sense because they didn't even run PCT back in those days, lol). He's lucky he didn't absolutely destroy his liver. You're not suppose to run orals beyond 6 weeks (especially at that amount) because they're very hepatotoxic.

Still, nothing compared to what's being run these days.

4. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

oh fuck you :lol:

nice one dude!

5. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

My little sister hangs out with some fuckers that are kinda like you; same age and lift like crazy.
    My mom says I shouldn't scare them away when they visit. I wonder who's scared of who... :lol:

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I used to lift until I got crippled (no relation) so now I am a bitter young man >:|

7. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

:lol: Wow that's great man. :lol:
    There's a bunch of kids in my school who are insanely strong, and we're only a 2A school. For instance we have two seniors who rep sets of 10 at 315 of clean. :spock:

8. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

Are these the same people who were deadlifting 800+ lbs? lol

9. AngstRiddenDreams

No. That was some guy claiming that kids in his school could do that, which i highly doubt. :lol:

10. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

Possible, if those kids have no spine, or they're ants

11. AngstRiddenDreams

12. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Last week in the gym I witnessed the most ridiculous thing;
    Two skinny lads training triceps, doing cable pushdowns. They had the weights pretty much stacked - not sure what amount but I'm a lot bigger than them and would push a 3rd of it at most.
    Dude was pretty much jumping up to the bar and wrestling it down underneath him into position, and then proceeding to get his reps out by his friend pushing down on his shoulders from behind. Oh my fuck :lol:
    I thought they had finally clued on when one of them failed to get 3 reps and said "Nope..too heavy", proceeding to reduce the weight by..oh. One plate :lol:

Perhaps just as bad is the fact that in the duration of my chest/shoulders/arms workout I witnessed them train nothing but arms :ugh: Actually I'm wrong - they managed to fit in some abs too.

13. Bigsby

Bigsby Nerd Contributor

im surprised nobody has posted the "do you even lift" meme yet

[​IMG]

hopefully nobody will kick my ass cause im sure literally everybody in this thread could :lol:

14. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Well, at least they weren't just bicep warriors...
    Every gym seems to have its idiots. I see guys bending their knees and 'jumping' up all the time doing curls, or dudes that perform what seems to be a dumbbell press/dumbbell fly combo.

Have you ever seen someone spazz out like a jumping dolphin while doing dips?

15. bob123

bob123 Banned

Bear in mind, the most "Growth" comes from sets of 8-12, not 4-6.

My 2 cents on this, I suggest doing higher reps first. This helps develop your stabilizer muscles, gets your endurance up, and gives you the satisfaction of the "bigger guns" you so desire.

After you do that for 3-6 months, then i suggest swappoing over to actual strength training.

And if you want size... do squats. Lots and lots of squats.

This is NOT a good rotation for chest/tris at your skill level.

- Flat barbell bench 4-6x3
    - Flat dumbbell bench 4-6x3
    - Incline dumbbell bench 4-6x3
    - Cable crossovers 4-6x3

16. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

If you want to build up core before bulk....here's a toning rep setup that is good to do once in a while....but mind you....it's a lot more suck than it appears on paper. All done w/ bare bar.

Bare bar: 30s non-stop
    rest 30s
    Bare bar: 45s non-stop
    rest 30s
    Bare bar: 60s non-stop

....make sure you do this when there's nothing you need your arms for next day. The regimen that sverrik mentioned is a great regimen, but is more of a bulking regimen. What I just mentioned is more of a "tone burn." We used to use this a lot in the military as part of our weight regimen. I think my max at one point & time was ~300lbs bench. I'd be lucky if I could press 100lbs now LOL.

Also....do a proper pushup and hold it half way (elbows @ 45* angle). If you can't hold yourself there for a full minute....you need to build more core up (per my last trainer....can't vouch for accuracy).

17. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

For beginners that really want to push themselves..

- Flat barbell bench 5 sets: [12-10-8-6-6] (increase 5kg each time)
    - Incline dumbbell bench [3sets: 6-8-10] (start heavy and decrease)
    - Superset: High cable chest fly & Low cable chest fly [3sets: 10-12 each exercise]
    - Chest press machine [2 drop sets] (start as heavy as you can to do 4-6 reps. Immediately lower the weight to do 4-6 reps again. Do not rest. Rinse-repeat 'till you feel your chest and arms are going to detach

Add three eggs to your breakfast, eat a lot of tuna and chicken breast and buy some new shirts :cool:

18. AngstRiddenDreams

Hey so on cleans i need some help. I always see people hitting the bar off of their legs when they pop their hips on the pull. Everytime i try this, it fucks me up. I'm most likely doing the pop at the wrong time. I'm use to just muscling the weight up and almost rowing the weight when I get it past my knee's, which is hard with 245 :lol:

19. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

watch the master!

20. AngstRiddenDreams

He made that look really easy. :lol: I've only just started popping my hips and hitting the bar. I hit it right above my knee's though, which i think i should do it right at my hips.