Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Eat Clen, Tren Hard.

2. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

On another note, finally pulled 465 after missing it 4 times in the gym, and twice in competition over the past nearly 2 years. Got in the mindset of hitting 415x4 that day, which I did, and it felt good enough to go for a heavy single. Loaded up 445 and hit that super easy. Decided to throw on 465 and had zero issues with it. Came off the floor fast, and I locked it out strong. This was after a 10 hour work day wearing a 30 lb ballistic vest and eating when I could. Going to try for 475 soon. My goal was 500 after I come back from deployment next year, but I think I'm going to try to hit it before I leave.

3. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Good job with the DLs, Mike!

4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

This week has been a week of firsts. My last back day I was able to max out doing 330lbs x 3 on deadlift, and earlier today I 1RM'ed 660 on the leg press. WTF. Very pleased. Now to just get my squat strength up.

5. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Managed to get 5x5 on 115kg Squat yesterday + 1 set of 5 105kg Deadlifts. Pretty happy with that as I've been recovering from a lower back injury :yesway:

Trying to work up to 145kg squat and a similar deadlift by March.

6. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Good job! Make sure to keep sound form throughout to stay clear of nags/injuries!

7. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Cheers man!

I deloaded considerably after the injury and worked back up to the weights I'm on now, concentrating on form. So far - zero pain.

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Hit a sh!tload of PRs in the gym recently and my current numbers are as stands:
    500 squat (wraps)
    275 bench
    475 deadlift
    Provided this week is a good deload, next week will be a mock meet for me. Hoping I can pull all of those numbers together and then some. Currently sitting at ~175 lbs body weight.

9. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Nice, that is awesome for that body weight!

10. Blytheryn

With some good form coaching from the gym bros I was finally able to get 220 for a single. It's eluded me for so long, I'm ecstatic to have nailed it finally!

11. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Nice. I can't bench worth ....!

12. Blytheryn

Thanks dude! I've realized that there is so much technique involved in the bench. Everything from how you breathe to your shoulder position, grip and leg drive, as well as a back arch. A few months ago I had really no idea about most of this... after a while it just becomes natural. The crazy thing is that once the bar got off moving off my chest it just flew up, almost effortlessly. I might have to put a few more pounds on in the future to find my real PR!

13. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

decided to start prioritizing my overhead press over bench. The more i looked at my goals i realized a big bench is not a need right now. but trunk support and upper body strength is a must.

so more direct strict pressing work (thinking 3 variations a week) and then keeping a handful of bench variations just to maintain and practice the movement

14. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I took a short break (16 days) from lifting before deployment to let myself rest, and to prioritize my time with my wife and son before leaving. Since then, I've started 5/3/1 For Mass (from 5/3/1 For Powerlifting), and I'm excited to see where it goes. Wendler has always been an idol of mine, from his ridiculous strength, to his love for heavy music, to his general outlook on life. I'm only two days in, and I'm currently postponing my third day due to being in transit between bases to my final destination, but I'm hoping for some definite improvement, seeing as I never really do OHP/military press, and now I have a whole day devoted to it.

15. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I went full circle in the past 8 months. I started full body 4 days a week for 4 months to start build the foundation. After that i went to a push-pull split 4 days a week.

After some research i'm back to full body 3 times a week. I loosely follow outalpha in theory. Although Alex has some strong opinions on some subjects that i have different views on, the general concept speaks to me.
    So, it's 3 days, intensity-volume-intensity. Then, two days rest. Intensity days are basically, warmup sets, then 3-5 sets of 3 with 80-90% ORM. Volume days are more like 3-5 sets of 10-20 (depending on the exercise). One of the keys to make it work is short rests between sets (as low as 10 seconds) and super-setting where possible (depending on gym and gear availble). I can get through my full body intensity routine in under an hour.

I'm not looking for strength though. I love the feeling of moving heavy weights, but my goals aren't specific numbers. I'm looking for a massive physique. So, Shoulders, upper back and traps, and forearms are priorities. I work to keep my bodyfat between 15 and 20%. I'm now 29 and just started my weight lifting journey. But i love the results so far and am happy to finally have found a sport i really enjoy doing.