Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Yeah, what I've noted the past few days of trying this program is that it does take it out of you if you go all in on the strength sets. You wind up doing each workout twice a week too. That website looks legit, I'll look through it in any case... Some stuff caught my attention! I've never been focused on pure strength, more the strength that came with the gains of doing a bodybuilding style workout, but upping the numbers is never a bad thing :)

2. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

also consider this http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2016/02/gzcl-applications-adaptations.html

it's more complicated if you jump straight in and start programming on your own, but the 3 preloaded programs are great (doing high frequency 9 week now). i like the philosophy of loading up a bunch of sub-maximal volume with movement/ intensity variations.

it's worth doing a pre-planned routine once and then going ham on the blank excel sheet and changing everything you want

3. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Decided I'm going to get back into powerlifting competitively. My career is rather stagnant right now, and I can't really progress the way I want to until I finish school, which starts up next month, so I want to do something I enjoy to keep myself busy. I did a mock meet with myself on Friday just to see where I sit in a non-peaked, non-rested state, and totaled 1,100 at 165. I hit a 440 squat, 245 bench, and 415 deadlift. My best in each lift in the last 3 months has been a 440 squat, 265 bench, and 455 deadlift, so at this point, it's all about getting back into the conditioning to keep myself able to hit those numbers all in the same day. I'll be starting a new cycle of The Cube Method tomorrow, and retesting myself in 10 weeks. Also going to be adding in two cardio days, just to keep conditioned for work and my upcoming PT test. Excited to get back into it.

4. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

5. Ibanezsam4

I'm about to hop on the Chanko Nabe train for some quality food gains.

i hate eating raw veggies so any kind of stew that is loaded with them i will tend to try. Reasonably portioned, this looks like an inexpensive and easy way to hit my calorie requirements.

This in combination with my vegan Italian soup i think will help me get way more vitamins and nutrients into my diet and allow me to focus on my other meals in the day.

anyone else have some cool weightlifter meals they like to make?

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Hey guys, thought I'd throw this question in here.

I've been lifting weights for a while and made decent progress in most areas. One area I seem to be lagging in at the moment however, is shoulders.

I'm currently on a 5x5 reps and sets plan for my compound exercises and I seem to have peaked at 60kg on overhead shoulder press. No matter how many times I deload and build back up, I can't break through it. I've tried swapping to 12 x 4 one week and back the next to see if that would help, but it hasn't shifted at all.

I usually do lateral raises, plate shrugs and dumbell press in the 10-12 rep ranges after the 5x5 on the overhead press.. Usually train each muscle group 1-2 times a week.

Any tips or advice you can give? Cheers.

7. Ibanezsam4

you officially stalled on 5x5. what you need to do now is more volume divided up over more varied rep schemes.

if you like what you're doing with every other muscle group, try Greg Nuckols 28 free programs and use his bench scheme for overhead press.

http://strengtheory.com/train-smarter/

8. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

9. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Cheers, I'll take a look at that.

10. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm in serious need of a nutritional reform. I'll preface it by saying that I do eat very wholesome dinners, and the leftovers turn into lunches. Lots of lean meats, clean carbs (rice, wheat pasta), and veggies. But it's the work-day breakfasts, drinks, and snacks that kill me. I drink at least one Rockstar a day, my breakfast usually consists of oatmeal and a Jimmy Dean sausage biscuit. And I can eat the sh!t out of some cookies. I'm on WIC now, so I get free peanut butter, wheat tortillas, pasta, and a certain dollar amount of veggies/fruits. I'm going to start making high-calorie protein shakes in the morning with powder, whole milk, oats, and peanut butter to take in some extra calories and eliminate a lot of the processed crap I eat. Need to find an alternative caffeine source with way less sugar, and eliminate some of the sweets I eat. I'm not fat. In fact, I really need to add weight. I just want to feel better about what I'm eating. I want to put on a solid 10 lbs before the end of the year, so I need to start shoveling it in.

11. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

12. Ibanezsam4

coffee. cold brew a light roast to eliminate bitter flavors and use less sugar.

13. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm not much of a coffee guy, but I have started drinking it. Totally black or with 1 sugar. Still not getting the same effects, but I think I'll adjust. I had a red bull today, and it did absolutely nothing for me, so I think my body is just trying to cleanse itself of caffeine addiction.

Also, has anyone here run a conjugate program for strength? I've got blueprints for one and it looks way more fun than what I'm doing now. The Cube has worked well for me in the past, but it's getting stagnant running it for the third time. I understand it's usefulness, but I also like that conjugate training puts you under heavy weight more often.

14. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I have never personally run it but I do know more then a couple of people who have used it to get strong as hell.

From what they have said, if your body responds well to high weight, low volume training it will make you ....ing explode. If you prefer high volume stuff look for something else.

Disclaimer:
    I have never even looked it up, so don't yell at me if they didn't know what they were talking about. :lol:

15. Ibanezsam4

understand that if you run a true conjugate the weights may be heavier but the volume is really reduced (it was programmed for lifters using shirts and suits). if you're someone who responds to low reps then this makes no difference, but if having a ton of volume is beneficial look for variations of the programs that bring in back-off sets or stance variations etc.

16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

The template I have was run by a raw lifter, so I feel like it would translate well. And the goal is to add to my max, so I think it might be helpful. I use accessories for hypertrophy, but would rather use heavy weight and low reps on the compound lifts. I'm going to give The Cube maybe 4 more weeks, do a deload, then retest maxes and see where I'm at. I'll go from there afterwards.

17. Ibanezsam4

word. also, and this goes to everyone in this threat looking to get stronger.

Check this video out... it describes everything you need to be a beast

18. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Tren and dbol... :lol:

19. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Both cornerstones of a healthy, nutritious diet.:lol:

20. Ibanezsam4

which kinobody can buy with his parents money :lol: