Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Back is my favorite! :D

I have a pretty simplistic way of doing things I guess. All I do for back is deadlift, pull-ups, barbell rows, and sometimes shrugs. The deadlifts I do on lower body day (I do sumo DLs because I like that more) and the pull-ups and rows I do on upper body day. If I do shrugs I usually put those right after the deadlifts.

Honestly I don't often think much about sets and reps. I don't have anything decided before I go to the gym, but rather just do what feels right when I'm there. For deadlifts and pull-ups I sometimes go heavier and sometimes lighter with more volume. I always try to warm up properly by increasing weights little by little before I get up to working set weights. If I'm going heavy I usually do some singles, and/or sets of 2 or 3 reps. Maybe 5-6 low rep sets in all? Something like that. Then I lower the weights a bit and try and get a little volume and technique-training in. Maybe 2-3 more sets of... 5-15 reps? Workouts where I don't go as heavy I usually keep most/all sets in the 5-10 rep range and do maybe... 4-5 working sets in all? For the rows however, I always do 3-4 working sets of 8-10 reps with moderate weight. They're always one of the last exercises I do, so my back is a bit tired by then. Shrugs I usually go pretty light with high rep count. 3-4 sets of about 15 reps. I just do those to completely drain my traps after deadlifts, occasionally, when I feel they need it.

I think set and rep ranges is quite individual what works best for people and has a lot to do with what's most fun. I don't think it's all too important, as long as you get enough overall volume and don't go crazy light to the point where you're just working endurance or something... I think the choice of which exercises you do is more important overall.

What back exercises do you do except for deadlifts?

2. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

I always try to hit bent rows, lat pull downs (cable pull downs or hammer strength), and cable rows, but I usually throw in other stuff when I have time like dumbbell rows, reverse flies, and landmine rows.

3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Well that sounds pretty good I think. I would try to include pull-ups and ditch the pull-downs (or keep them and do both). There's a lot of ways you can vary the weight if your bodyweight isn't "right" for pull-ups, you can use resistance bands or assistance machines or do negatives if it's too heavy, or use a weight belt/vest/backpack if it's too light.

I'd say generally try to include both vertical and horizontal pulling, but it looks like you've got that covered pretty good.

Another thing I thought about is training frequency. Are you training your back often enough? I've recently started an upper body/lower body split, meaning I do deadlifts every other workout and pull-ups/rows every time I don't do deadlifts. That seems like an improvement for me, having come from a 4-way split where I only did back every fourth workout.

4. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

started doing this as well recently. the gains aren't passing the eyeball test yet, but my back is definitely getting stronger

5. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

Recently joined a powerlifting gym. Started doing Bench/Squat/OHP/Deadlift. I've been enjoying it a lot, great way to relieve stress and build confidence.
    Here I am doing 3x3 for 225 lbs. Retested my max and my squat went from 265 lbs to 285. 6' at 190 lbs currently. Chasing that big 3 plate!

6. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Thanks mate, far form beastly tough...yet!

7. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Hey anyone on 5 day splits how do you split it up?

I'm currently on;

M: Legs
    Tu: Chest + Abs
    W: Shoulders
    Th: Rest
    F: Back + Abs
    S: Arms
    S: Off

I'm just finding by the time I get to arms on saturday my forearm grip is not great, so not sure whether to slip it into the middle somewhere.

8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I try to have a little pushing, pulling, and legs with each workout. And I usually only lift 3 days a week. The rest is jogging, swimming, or yoga.

Day 1: Close-grip underhand pullups, Incline Bench, Squats
    Day 2: Rows, Dips, Lunges
    Day 3: Wide-grip pullups, Flat bench, Deadlift

I mix and match though. Some days I'll do box jumps, pistol squats, or sprints to replace a leg lift.

9. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Spilt my protein all through my bag, sad day, RIP IN PEACE.

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Here's hoping it wasn't whey 100! Stuff is expensive!

11. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

so.... i lost my gains.

not all of them, just the ones i care about. specifically my squat is shot.

back in June i was feeling a little extra fatigue, and then i got a random unexplained fever spiking at 103 for 3-4 days. got better, went on vacation and the fever came back this time for 5 days.

Turns out i have 2 treatable tick borne illnesses. however the meds have caused me to lose a bit of weight.

my question: i've lost 5lbs of weight off my legs already. can i re-gain my gains quickly? or is it back to muscle building square one?

12. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

What I've been told is most guys seem to gain back their old strength somewhat quickly. Just take it easy, start low and keep your nutrition on point.

13. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Jesus, 5 day split is for very advanced lifters, usually guys on drugs.

Push, Pull, Legs is better split for intermediate and natural guys. Hitting group twice a week is best. Once a week you won't see the gains.

14. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I don't feel like amount of days is more advanced, it really depends on intensity. I think a lot of other exercises throughout the week revisit other parts, such as deadlifts training both legs and back, chest/tricep crossover etc.. I've had better progress with the 5 day split because I am more likely to get every muscle group in for a good workout in a 45 minute workout. I just don't have the time to be doing 3 days @ 90 mins each time.

Also with a 3 day push/pull/leg you're still only training each muscle group once, just having more days off.

Although downside is, I had a flu for like 2 weeks, lost a fair bit of weight, got back in the gym for 2 weeks, went away on holidays, I got back 2 days ago and woke up sick again yesterday, so I've stunted a bit :lol:

15. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

can you bench press the new Scion TC?

16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

5 day split is certainly not just for guys on drugs. 5 day split is pretty common for guys who are fit. I'm on a 4 day plan, and I include "active rest" days of running and swimming on my days off to keep from getting stiff. Not to mention, I squat nearly every gym day.

Strength is coming back up, and run time is going down. Cut off 17 seconds from my mile and a half last week, and worked back up to 405x3 and 435x1 on squats, which is a post-basic training PR since last year. Going to try for 405x1 with no belt or wraps soon, as well as a 455x1 with belt and wraps.

17. Blytheryn

Cool news on the run man! Can't wait to kick this bug I've got to get my time lower as well.

18. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I lost a bunch of weight after I moved and once I finally got into the groove at the gym and found a reliable source for protein supplements in this shady-as-hell country, I got slammed by an e-bike while biking to work a few weeks ago and suffered a separated shoulder. So for 3 weeks, I've been at home, no work, no gym, almost no exercise aside from walking. So when I get back in the gym in maybe 2-3 weeks, not only will I be back at square one, but I'll have to start with rehabbing my ruined shoulder, which will never be the same again. Can't catch a damn break.

19. Blytheryn

20. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm assuming because of the volume you're getting in with your accessory work. It doesn't necessarily look like a strength program, but more of a bodybuilding program with some compound movements in it. Try it out for a couple weeks, and if you feel like you aren't getting enough volume in, shoot for 5x5. Personally, if you're trying to make strength gains while getting bigger, I'd look into The Cube Method. There's a calculator on Black Iron Beast (http://blackironbeast.com/cube/calculator) where you can input your 1RMs on the big 3, and choose your accessories for each day, and it will write the program for you. I've used it while peaking for PL competitions, and if I ever get back into it, I'll use it again. Not to mention, Brandon Lilly sticks with the philosophy that, if you're strong, you should also look like you're strong, so there's a lot of hypertrophy accessory work throughout each week, plus a day totally devoted to it.

I mean...would you really question him? :lol:
    [​IMG]