Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. UnquestionablePresence

UnquestionablePresence SS.org Regular

I'm actually working to compete in a powerlifting meet sometime soon. Probably going to be sometime next year because of the way membership works in the federation I'm likely to be competing in, also I need to get my hands on a singlet and a few other things that I may not be able to purchase in time for a meet this year because I'm a bit short on money at the moment.

Oh well, gives me time to go over the rules and build up my sorry ass bench. May also look into spectating the meet I would've attended if I knew I was going to be doing this sooner.

Right now it seems like squat and deadlift training is as simple as a heavy set once or twice a week + nutrition (I've put about 20 pounds back on my squat in the past two weeks) . I'm also making a transition to sumo since it seems to be pretty close to my conventional even though I haven't pulled sumo in over a year and it seems to suit the way I pull better.

Bench training isn't going to be quite so simple. I'm going to be giving a 16 week set/rep plan I pulled from a Kroc article a shot along with a little bit of reverse band work (I bought them, might as well use them) for my triceps. I plugged a conservative max into the program. This is going to be the first time I've broken away from linear progression. I've done a program that was "periodized" in a way before, but it was just a linear progression with weekly changes in rep schemes. I was testing and building at the same time. The way this Kroc bench program works, I'll build THEN test.

Biggest lesson learned this year: program each lift individually. I don't think linear progression is going to cut it for my bench anymore, but it still works for my squat and deadlift assuming nutrition is up to par. I can build and test my lower body at the same time, but my bench may need to be built and tested separately, and I don't have much experience with setting up a program to do this. So, I went with the Kroc bench program. We'll see how it goes. 16 weeks from now the goal is to bench more than 185.

2. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

i did the same program. went from barely being able to do 1rm of 160 to doing one at 225 (it was slow and weak as .... but it happened) about 14 weeks later. It's all the volume work that really picks your numbers up.

another thing is make sure you do a ton of pull ups and lat work in addition to those tricep bands. knowing how strong your other lifts are you should shoot up pretty quickly

3. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

What I'm finding is that, as you say, each lift should be programmed for differently, based on how that lift responds to stimuli, aaaaand that THAT changes with time/level of the lifter, i.e.: volume will not ALWAYS be the answer for your bench.

It's all fun, I guess...!

4. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Thanks, Roland.
    You should see the guy who's spotting me! He'll be competing at IPF worlds this year; very strong dude, and textbook form.

5. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

1. What the FUC is up with the tags to this thread?
    2. BAHAHAHA back to prior strength levels on the squat using steel plates! Not as narrow as comp weights, but nonetheless a step up from the bumper bonanza I was used to in the past. Form feels pretty solid, but I absolutely have to stretch my hips out evenly as the slightest difference in flexibility due to asymmetric tension will take me out of rhythm out of the hole. The last rep of yesterday's 190-squat was ugly as sin.

6. UnquestionablePresence

UnquestionablePresence SS.org Regular

There was a supplement that got some publicity a while ago because it apparently had growth hormone or something like that in it in the form of bovine colostrum. Although getting GH from it was nothing like injecting it. I think WADA banned it regardless and there was this uproar about whether people who took the supplement were natural or not (you know how important it is to be natural on the interwebs, right?) and then Mark Lobliner made this video where he went on a huge rant about how BS it is to equate taking that supplement with using steroids and he starts screaming "IT'S JUST COLOSTRUM" a few times in it. The internet's obsession with who does and doesn't take steroids made the situation way bigger than it should've been. I got a good laugh out of the whole situation, and it was a running joke between a friend and I for a little bit. I obviously have nothing to do with that tag being there...

Those other tags I have no clue about.

7. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Hey guys just a quick Q, whats everyones view on deadlifts and the bar touching the shins, mine usually rubs along the shin very lightly, I don't get bruise or anything like that as ive read a few cases of that, they literally just lightly touch, but its easier with that than trying to avoid my shins, I've seen some say that shin scrape is unavoidable and others say it should be avoided. So what do you guys experience?

8. Ibanezsam4

in my view the touch your shins cue serves to purposes. 1) it helps tighten your lats (if you already know to tighten them) and tense them up for the pull. 2) it keeps the bar path straighter.

im in the same boat where lightly touching is enough for me

9. Ibanezsam4

so im late to this trend, but what the hell is it with a small segment of fitness youtubers being on a steroid crusade???

whole channels are dedicated to tearing down bodybuilders and powerlifters for juicing but no one ever has the substantive arguments on why they are morally superior to guys who juice.

just seems super immature considering every major athlete takes something of some degree to get an edge. why the hate?

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Hey guys, I've just started the Stronglifts 5x5, and so far I'm quite liking it. Doing squats every workout feels great, and even though I can lift heavier on most excercises than I am right now (working my way up from 50kg's on most excercises instead of going as heavy as I can so that I can focus on form and endurance etc) I feel that some body parts aren't getting as much focus as I'd wish.

For those who aren't totally up to speed on 5x5 it's essentially a strength building program based on 3 excercises a workout for 5x5. (Squats, bench and rows one day, and squats, overhead presses and deadlifts the other day) you essentially cycle between those two workouts until you plateau and then tweak the reps and stuff. (3x3, 1x5 kinda jazz).

Now, it's wintertime, so some raw strength gains will be cool for when I start cutting in spring, but I don't want to neglect some of my favorite muscles groups to train. (Arms, and abs) also, I would like to add some more mass to my rear delts. Do any of you guys have any suggestions to how I could add these to my current split in a way that wouldn't be weird?

Cheers!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that 5x5 is supposed to be a every other day workout. That means that I potentially have those days in between to hit them. Good idea?

11. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Somewhere in this thread should be a post by MikeH on his adapted stronglifts with arm etc work in there. I'd rather do some curls and delt stuff after the main workout than on the days in between to allow for proper rest.

12. Blytheryn

I'll go look for it, thanks :D

13. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Your arms will get plenty of work when the weight gets serious on bench, row and the overhead press. Forearms get plenty of work on deadlifts too.

Heavy Squats are the single best ab exercise in existence. You work your core by bracing. Anti-flexion and whatnot.

If you want extra arm work chins and dips are the best way to go.

Overheads are a great exercise to work all 3 heads of your shoulders.

Leave your off days off. Your body needs that time to recover. It seems easy right now, but when you're squatting 225 for 25 reps and then deadlift 300 for 5 you will be thankful you don't have extra exercises.

Edit:
    It should be noted (and is in the program plenty of times) that Stronglifts is a beginner program and you are supposed to move off it eventually! Keep it simple for now and move on when the time comes!

14. Blytheryn

Aye, I'm aware it's a beginner program, I Just feel that I'm quite far away from maxing out on a lot of excercises. Should I still keep bumping it up slowly on all or is it acceptable to raise the weight by say 5-10kg's on some just to feel like you're actually getting a workout?

I forgot to say that I have been lifting since January 2014, so I have some pretty alright gains all around, just felt like 5x5 would be a great way to uniformly hit any weak spots that I had and boost my strength so I can hit heavier weights in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, I've recently moved to a new city and so far I don't have any gym buddies, but glad to know there's some meatheads on SSO :)

15. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

If you lifted before he has a spreadsheet where you can enter your max and it will spit out what you should start at. Honestly though, I would just keep trucking along slowly. Lifting heavy is a marathon not a sprint. Take the opportunity with these lighter weights to make your sure form is beyond perfect!

If you are conditioned enough from lifting previously, he does have a bunch of assistance exercises that can be added though.

16. Blytheryn

Wow, I have to find this post! Yeah, I know I need to focus on my rows and deadlifts, because I never felt confident in my form on those. I might be able to film me doing a few for critique.

17. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

18. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

As a long time power lifter who specializes in back... it's all about T bar rows. Here's some advice FWIW:

-never use the machines. Use an olympic bar in a trap or in wall corner (with a couple 25 lbs counterbalance weights thrown on top for safety). The machines usually cause people to "dophin", lifting their chest off the pad and throwing the stress on the lower back.
    -throw a couple 25 lbs plates on the floor under the 45's you're lifting as a podium to start from. This way you're not rowing off the floor. When you go heavy, you don't want to be pulling from the floor, as that will place way too much of the stress on your lower back.
    -grip is super important. *** Use a false/superman/neutral grip... thumb along your fingers and not wrapped around bar. This takes the secondary stress off your forearms and arms, and allows you to concentrate on pulling the weight by retracting your scapula and pulling with your lats.
    -try not to vary your back angle more than 15 degrees throughout the lift, as you would be doing more of a partial deadlift, again placing undue stress on your lower back and legs.
    -around 45 degrees is a good starting point, depending on your flexibility and body type. If you stand too tall you place more stress on traps and shoulders, and take it off of your mid back. Too flat and you'll be off balance, lack a proper foundation, and stress your lower back.

I also do one arm t-bar rows, which I love. These are not just one arm versions of the t bar row. I set up 90 deg to the bar and lift/pull with the inside arm towards the chest . Starting position looks like an NFL OT down in his starting stance. I grip the end of the olympic bar, and for anything over a plate you'll prob need wrist wraps. I do from the floor (no podium and no counterbalance weights needed). I'll try and post videos, because I couldn't find any good pics online.

Start with your major pulling excercises and work towards the secondary muscles at end of routine. I like to do finishing exercises, especially those that involve cables, at end for a nice pump. Typically, I do:

T-bar rows
    One-arm T-bar rows
    DB rows, bent over reverse grip barbell rows, and/or wide grip machine rows (alternate workout)
    Lat pulldowns (machine or cable)
    Bent over DB flyes
    Straight arm cable pulldowns or Lying DB Pullovers

I work back every 4 days, and I alternate heavy workouts with lighter that involves a lot of pullups instead.

My deadlift game is not as impressive, so I'll leave that to others... :lol:

20. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Hey guys and gals, I have a problem and I was hoping you can help me out.

So just for background I have been lifting for about a year and a half now, mind you at varying intensities throughout that time. Recently I have been doing a lot of pyramid sets(increase the weight and lower the reps with each set, hope my terminology is correct) for strength building with fairly good results. I've made progress when it comes to my bench and squat. For smaller muscle groups I usually do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps each while increasing the weights as I go, and this has been going ok. . . But I just don't know how to work back!!! Aside from my deadlift I have made very few gains, both strength and mass, when it comes to back. So what kind of set and rep configurations do you guys use for upper back?