Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Indeed a great deadlift!

I'd love it if Konstantin Podzeev came out of the woodshed and took this WR total...

2. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

welp... have to be completely honest with myself.

the years of muscle imbalances have finally caught up with me. one leg weaker than the other has officially froze my squat progress, i'm now noticing a huge issue with ankle mobility and finally the hips... are too damn tight and won't flex.

time to pay the piper and get this sh!t straightened out before i hurt myself.

any tips on strengthening a single leg? i fractured my ankle 4-5 years ago and i would say my left leg is about 15% weaker than my right.

3. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

It's funny because while Malanichev barely speaks English, he absolutely worships Ed Coan. I remember stories of him finally meeting him in the Animal cage at the Arnold a year or two ago, guy was absolutely star struck :lol: could almost call it cute. I'd be squatting extra with my major idol spotting me too!

4. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

I'd say you could start out with adding single leg presses to your routine (only the weaker leg) and maybe also single leg extensions/leg curls, slowly increasing the poundages...see where that takes you in, say, 6-8 weeks and reassess from there.

5. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

6. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

Well once I got over my overuse injury in my knees, after getting back into nearly normal training volume my right wrist isn't having any of it...

It doesn't help at all with what I do (olympic weightlifting) I'm nearly always working overhead. I guess I can get stronger on DL, clean/snatch pulls, and squats.

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I like to stand inside the rack with the safety bars set at about normal squat height (where the bar would be almost touching them at the bottom of the lift).
    Simply grab each side's safety bar for balance, control, and assistance, then do one-legged body-weight squats.

I wouldn't worry about getting too low, and also don't worry about the working leg's knee going out in front a bit more than usual or your upper-body leaning forward for balance.

The off-leg just hangs down and back basically with it's foot just off the ground (obviously).

At the bottom you should look about like a triple-jumper who just landed after the second phase and is getting ready to explode into the final jump, except that a jumper wouldn't be all the way down on the heel like a one-legged body-weight squatter should be.

Of course you can do them while holding onto anything with one or both hands, I just found it more handy and effective to use the safety bars inside the cage for it.
    A pair of chairs or saw-horses also work great and allow you however much or little arm-assistance needed to stay tight and controlled.

8. Ibanezsam4

^ i hate doing one leg squats... i guess that means they're effective

9. UnquestionablePresence

UnquestionablePresence SS.org Regular

A little idea for any other home gym owner out there. You can approximate a lot of cable machine movements with a band fastened to your rack. You could buy all sorts of different bands with varying tension and still end up spending way less than you would on a cable machine. Just make sure to thread some plates through the safeties/lay them on the bottom of the rack/whatever if your rack is light and not bolted to the ground like mine is once you start playing with tension in the above 70-ish lbs range (I took my rack with me when I tested out speed deadlifts and I didn't think to weigh my rack down a little :lol:).

I've been messing around with how to do a few light accessory movements, and while I've almost always had a mini band that I used back in the day to do assisted pull ups now I hadn't taken notice of their full potential until I bought a heavier pair and got a little curious. I bought these to experiment with speed deadlifts, but I'm finding them more useful for accessory work even though using them for that purpose seemed kind of strange at first. You can double/triple/etc. loop a band around whatever to adjust tension, and even if that doesn't get the job done they sell bands all the way up to the realm of 200 lbs of tension. Wouldn't be surprised if you end up saving a lot of money investing in some bands instead of dumbbells, cable machines, etc. for the little exercises. You might argue it's not quite the same, but when you don't have all the expendable income in the world to build your home gym you have to make compromises. Just an idea for those also short on cash.

10. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

11. UnquestionablePresence

I've bought a few Spud Inc. products. Definitely big money savers, but I didn't get much use out of what I bought, lol. At least I wasted less money than I would have, and if I meet somebody that likes to do farmer's walks and kettlebell swings I've got something for them. Sometimes I loop the kettlestrap in on itself and use it as a handle like when I gave one arm barbell rows a shot and I tried to mimic the meadows row handle with what I already had. Towels are cool DIY handles for stuff, too.

Honestly, thus far I haven't used anything very consistently aside from the barbell, but I get curious and end up buying different little toys to play around with every now and then or I try out something I haven't done before. Experimentation isn't really all that bad for me because I'm in a weird place right now where I don't really desire to lift x amount of weight or weigh x pounds or look like I might possibly lift anymore, yet still I find myself nearly every day thinking "Maybe I'll just go downstairs and squat/deadlift a plate or two for a few reps just for fun." For fun. That's pretty much why I lift now, and yet I still consistently squat and deadlift. How the hell is that fun? :lol:

12. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Cool recent interview with the Bigger, Faster, Stronger guys.
    I had no idea of all the issues Chris has had since the original documentary, nor was I aware of their oldest brother's death shortly after the movie.

13. UnquestionablePresence

Honestly, now that I think about it. Last time I had good progress was when I was in school and did what someone else told me to do. Might be time to hop onto something proven and stick to it strictly.

14. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

"Strictly" is the key word there - you can design your own program, but if you constantly tweak it, change it, f%ck with it, it won't work.
    Consistency is the biggest factor in progess in the iron game, IMO.

15. UnquestionablePresence

Yup. On the bright side I've only been set back a few months. There are some really strong dudes out there who talk about how they spent as much as an entire decade without squatting more than "beginner" weight or being weak with or not doing *insert lift that everyone does here*.

I'd really like to get my squat back up to where it was before I irritated my hip flexor, so I think that's the goal for now. Although if I did that technically it would be a PR of sorts and not just getting back to where I was. I'm not as heavy as I was when I made that lift.

EDIT: The summer wasn't a complete waste. I know the fruitier volume and frequency ideas don't really sit too well with me now. Right now I'm just thinking of running something like

1. Main lift (Leaning towards doing one top set of lower body work and doing a few straight sets for my bench)
    -Thinking about tossing in some pull ups here after pressing to match every pressing rep I just did.-
    2. Similar "big" assistance lift (Stuff like close grip bench or front squats or sumo deadlifts)
    3. Smaller accessories (Basically looks like it's going to end up being pull up and dip time on bench day, Ab/lower back work time on lower body days, and I'll probably stick rear delt work, if nothing else, here if I decide to do OHP)

All for basic set/rep schemes that may be cycled every once in a while. Volume probably isn't going to get any crazier than 30 total reps per lift on everything except stuff that falls under the "smaller accessory" category, at least until it becomes a reasonable idea (probably a looong while from now).

This is actually more "complex" in some ways that anything I've ever run before. I've never given each compound it's own day, and I haven't really messed with stuff like doing CGBP or doing front squats along with regular squats (I've only really used them while working through my hip flexor problems as a temporary replacement). The few experiments I have made in programming tend to keep the exercise selection very minimal, but get all cute with the frequency or rest times or set/rep schemes etc. I think I know now why so many programs are pretty standard when it comes to those details after my little experiment. Some people can cope with that stuff, but I didn't get anything out of it.

Anyways, I honestly have no idea how I could deviate from this program because it really covers everything I need right now as far as I'm concerned, but I'll probably find a way if I don't watch myself XD. This is pretty much what I would end up doing if I went out and tried to follow something like 5/3/1 or whatever other program you can find. Pretty common concepts in here.

Above all else I just need to not freak out when things don't go as expected. That's what fueled all the experimentation. I was being impatient and trying to get things rolling again too soon.

16. Ibanezsam4

alright, time for another weightlifting goals/programming post.

a couple months back i outlined what i wanted to do to become stronger for rugby. the plan was half successful; i made some great upper body gains, but lower squat volume (standard 5/3/1.. never again) coupled with getting super sick during the month of June, killed my lower body strength and left me feeling really half-cocked going into the season.

i also was not happy with the position i was playing. after twisting my ankle a few weeks back i got to think about it a little and realized i really missed my time in the gym. so i've decided the remainder of the season will be put on the back burner to take time to heal and then to get stronger.

so the plan is: do a cycle of the Cube. i made a lot of improvement on lacking lifts with 5/3/1 but it has its flaws. i know there are a million variants of 5/3/1 but experiencing another method should be fun. if anything it will shock me back into the gym.

After the first 10 week cycle, switch to the GZCL method. Really just choosing this because it covers the bases and honestly looks like a lot of fun as well. it goes in 4 week cycles so it will be easy to manage if i don't like it. my focus is making exercising as enjoyable as possible.

i will also be doing a steady bulk between now and april, with the goal of being over 200lbs (185 currently).

the next 6 months will be titled "Operation Look Like a Beast in Short-Shorts"

what do you guys think? any suggestions on how to get big(ger) while still maintaining cardio and such?

17. UnquestionablePresence

Are you still making good upper body gains? I'd keep a basic 5/3/1 approach for upper body if you're still improving and only make tweaks to lower body programming (I'd ....ing kill to be making "great" bench gains right now).

The squat volume is low in 5/3/1 because Jim intends for you to be running hills and pushing prowlers etc. on top of the typical weight room stuff. There's always the BBB template, which is just a 5x10 of the main lift at a lighter weight (Jim recommends starting with as little as 50% of the training max IIRC) or a similar lift after the main lift. You could go with that or something similar (3x10 if 5x10 is too much for you).

I've been making a bunch of tweaks recently, but now I'm just back to a really simple template of squatting, benching, deadlifting, chinning, and maybe doing some dips. You're about to go on a bulk you say? I recently started getting back into my pre-summer diet habits (recently as in this weekend) and I'm already squatting more. Haven't gained any weight quite yet (I was 152 this morning), but I'm breezing through squats now as I work my way back into the 300+ for reps territory I was at prior to a hip flexor injury. I was trying to get by on a lighter diet because I was a bit burned out from eating so much, but it seems that it just wasn't cutting it. If you've been cutting recently I'd wait to judge what works and what doesn't work for you until you get your bulking diet underway. From my experience even if you don't gain much weight, the large amount of calories and nutrients going down the hatch from a bulking diet helps tremendously.

I wouldn't advise complete program overhauls so often. A few tweaks here and there are cool, though. You can actually begin to develop "your own" program just by tweaking 5/3/1 since it worked so well for your upper body. I know everyone on the internet talks a lot of .... about messing with programs, and there are reasons for that; however, this is more directed at the complete newbie who turns Starting Strength into a bodypart split before he has even tried it rather than someone who has made gains before and has a basic understanding of training trying to tweak a program to suit their needs a little better.

If you need more volume for your legs, add it. Keep everything else that works the same, though. If you're getting bored, try making as few tweaks as possible to keep things interesting. Maybe throw in some dumb .... that you probably don't even need at the end of your workouts. Just go nuts (Unless if "go nuts" means do 10x10 on 5 exercises to you, that's probably a little excessive) If you're eating enough to bulk to 200 pounds I doubt some curls and stuff are going to screw with your recovery so much that it derails your progress.

Just my two cents. I'd wait for the other, more experienced dudes that post in here to weigh in as well.

EDIT: Forgot about the cardio part. 5/3/1 actually covers this, too. You're not going to read about it if you just look up the template posted on a random site, but if you read Jim's own articles or maybe even buy his books he is really focused on being "strong and in shape" as Paul Carter, who has a similar philosophy, likes to put it. Jim recommends getting in some "conditioning" several times a week. Whether that be a prowler workout or running some hills or other short, intense conditioning workouts. Sled drags are cool. I've seen people recommend farmer's carries, but I feel like grip and upper back strength gives out before you can really begin to tax your lungs. Sandbag carries would be a good option. I don't do them myself, but I've had to bear hug and haul some heavy stuff recently outside of training and it seemed like it would be a very effective way to go. Jim has some free articles hovering around where he discusses this, and he actually has a whole sub-forum on T-Nation (Yes, I know. But, where else can you get direct feedback from Jim other than his own, paid forum?) where he posts and helps out folks running his program.

If I still went to an MMA/BJJ gym I could probably get some good ideas from the fighters that train there, but you can probably use google to find out what some good fighters do. That stuff was absolute conditioning hell when I did it (More exhausted from 3 minutes of rolling than from any length of any other activity I had ever done in my life prior to then), and I'd imagine the training they do to hold up in competition is pretty effective. Although their sport takes priority over progress in the gym.

All in all, I'd say look for some of Jim Wendler's conditioning ideas. They probably work pretty well with lifting.

18. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Lots of good advice from Unquestionable Presence.

The only thing I'd say, is: add volume back SLOWLY if you're still playing rugby, in order to be able to assess the effect on your running/playing performance.
    For slowly, I mean something like 1 set every 2 weeks.
    Also, if you want bigger wheels, higher reps ranges might be in order..try a rotation of 8-6-4 instead of 5-3-1; you can do 2 squat sessions/week, one being front squats (killer exercise for quad size) and add some isolation work, like 2-3 sets of leg extensions or lunges/single side leg presses.

170 kg x4 cred vid :) :

https://www.facebook.com/marco.millul/videos/938544616204694/?pnref=story

19. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

Solid squats broheim.

20. Ibanezsam4

Thanks for the advice guys. As it turns out i just accepted a new job yesterday that i think will sideline my rugby hobby for a bit (early morning hours, plus late night practice doesn't gel), but opens up my gym availability quite a bit.

definitely going to take everyone's advice and add volume in until i'm comfortable with the bar on my back (i just don't feel as strong as i used to).

i could potentially be in the gym 5 days a week come mid-November

EDIT: sick fookin squats Millul