Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

So I've just started working out in the college gym, and doing running and the such, but I really wanna get some training in weights. Anyone here know what the best weight would be for someone who's never done that kinda thing? I know it's a broad question but I'm just curious.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Just use the bar (20kg presuming it's a standard bar) until you feel comfortable.
    Same applies with all exercises really. Get comfortable and then put the weight up gradually as you see fit.
    Eventually you want to aim for around 6 reps and use a weight that only allows you to do that.

3. Winspear

Also get a trainer to check your form :)

4. Aevolve

Aevolve Yugen.

Get someone who really knows what they're doing to walk you through form.

Form ALWAYS >>>> Amount of weight

EDIT: Half ninja'd in like 3 sec. :squint:

5. niffnoff

Lol I figured, I started on a 20kg and did 3 sets of 5. But I felt I could do more so I did a 40kg (2 x20 kg) and I did 2 sets of 6. Man they did kill me off :lol:

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

To this day I think the best info out there is in Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. Great routines, multiple exercises, technique, etc.

And +1 to form > weight. You want to be the guy curling 50 lbs weight in proper form with full extension, not the dude with 100lbs just rocking back and forth with his arms bent.

But be careful of picking a personal trainer. I know a decent amount about form, and I see "trainers" in the local gym violate that all the time. The best trainers are in real weight training gyms, not the local health club. Those guys don't know squat. :)lol: No pun intended!)

7. niffnoff

Most the people at my college are fitness freaks and have been doing it all semester long. :lol: I just follow advice from the most hench people possible and get pointers on the way and try. I do alot of cardio and such, so I know form is the more important thing over reps right now.

8. Winspear

Don't know your build but that sounds about right for a beginner :)

9. Winspear

Also in direct answer to your original question - the 'best' weight is the one at which you can't get out the last rep. As soon as you can, it's not the best weight anymore ;)

10. niffnoff

Uhhh, I couldn't tell you dude, but I'm just going through the paces, replacing fat for muscle hopefully :lol: not that I'm massively over weight these days I just wanna do more than cardio and work outs.

I felt so relieved after the final rep. chest pain. OW

11. Winspear

As long as you learn to tell the difference between PAIN and working your muscle :) Pain is bad, but yes you could absolutely describe a good workout as painful haha.

Also, get a spotter so you can push yourself more. I didn't know my true limits on bench press when I was training alone. I'd always consider the last rep almost failure and then stop. As soon as I got a spot however and was more confident, I found a whole new mental and physical level at which I could keep going - easily taking over 5 seconds to get my last rep up. I'd never go that far without a spot, but if you have someone there you can go a lot heavier.
    Once I found that feeling and knew what to aim for, my bench weight and chest size progress has become 3 times as fast.

12. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

I've just been working with a couple of dumbells lately in the loungeroom while I watch TV. It also helps if you're watching Ripped guys on TV. Jersey Shore etc lol

13. niffnoff

Lol if anything that DE-motivates me. I wish I had my own dumbells but sadly I don't and probably won't till after college when the gym ain't free no mo. :lol: But I know what you mean.

14. TheBigGroove

TheBigGroove SS.org Regular

working out with your own body weight is a great way to start, i.e. pushups for chest, dips for triceps. AND you can start out doing a lot of these at home and supplement the routine with just a set of light'ish dumbells.

Personally I'm at the point now where I'd have to do 60+ pushups to feel any kind of 'burn' but you'll definitely feel satisfied with this kind of routine for at least 3 months.

and when you do start lifting with heavier weights DEFINITELY do some research (youtube is great) on form, technique, routines etc. Also don't forget to try different lifts out on both barbell and dumbells. my bench plateaud at 205x7 reps for about 2.5 months until I started benching with dumbells - and keep in mind I was only benching with 85lb'ers. Now I'm able to get 225 for 6 reps.

edit: dumbell press workouts are also great because they're RELATIVELY safe without a spotter

15. TheBigGroove

TheBigGroove SS.org Regular

this is a great point and one I really didn't understand the merit of until recently. This is why having a spotter is a must when you get into heavy weights - forced repetitions are the only way to get stronger! Going to failure (or realistically just before) is a must once you start making big gains - you need someone there to help just a bit with that last rep.

You have the realize that muscle builds/gets stronger on the way down (the negative). For example with bench press, the pressing-up motion squeezes blood into your pecs, and letting the weight back down to your chest tears into the muscle fibers...then you press again and more blood is allowed in...repeat...viola big solid man-boobs.

16. ExousRulez

ExousRulez Banned

I have some kind of "workout gym" in my garage and I use the bar with 2 20lbs and try to do at least 30-45 up and downs at once 5-10 times a day as well as pull ups/push ups.

After starting online school in november I have gained like 20 pounds of fat, I guess I ate more since i'm always home and didn't eat at school but whats the best way to lose some of my stomach? Around a year ago I was easily able to 20-30 pull ups and now I can only do 10-15 because of my weight as well as my dad as a VERY large stomach (he weighs around 250-270 and is shorter than me) and I don't want to be like that.

17. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

Eat right. That doesn't mean starve-it means maintain a caloric deficit (take in less calories than you work off during the day (say 500kcal less than your maintenance amount) and eat healthy foods. That's the proper way to lose weight, and really is the only viable way :2c:

18. Winspear

Yep :yesway:

I kinda overskimmed your post OP:
    Good time to mention that you can't exchange fat for muscle as is common belief. You can't build muscle while in a caloric deficit (i.e. losing fat) - the best you can do is maintain it.*

Your options are:
    Bulk then cut- caloric excess, building muscle and perhaps a little fat. Cut later to reveal a body of more muscle than you had before.
    Cut then bulk- caloric deficit, maintaning muscle (hopefully) and losing fat. End up skinny and toned, and then bulk slowly trying not to put on too much fat.

*This isn't always strictly true - seems quite a few people can make 'noob gains' whilst cutting fat. However, I'd still consider it a true statement and avoid thinking of this as a viable option.

19. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

As well as the form over weight, I would say learn when to stop if something hurts. If you feel like you pull something, don't carry on going as actually injuring yourself can put you out for weeks. If it causes pain, then something is wrong.

Also, appreciate rest time - muscles need time to build, and overtraining is not going to build as much muscle if you let your muscles regrow.

There are some guys who give great advice here :metal:

20. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Something that I didn't see yet (although I may be blind :lol:) is a warm up; I believe that warming up is as important, if not more so, than exercising in the first place.

Take a rubber band, brand new; if you try and stretch it far, it'll snap. Why? Because it's tight. Take a rubber band that has been worn in a bit, and you'll be able to stretch it a lot further because it is looser.

That rubber band is your muscle; when it's "cold", it's like a brand new rubber band. After a warm up, your muscles are more like that good, dependable, worn-in rubber band, full of elasticity.

Do a simple warm up so that your muscles aren't straining as much, even if that warm up simply involves moving your arms and legs around for a couple minutes, or doing a light weight set.

TRENCHLORD likes this.