Anyone heard from Sherman lately?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by angus, Sep 22, 2009.

1. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

I have nothing to say other than I really hope that one of those guitars is mine. I paid him a down payment to get her started of $1700 in Feb '09 and was told 6 months but always told him not to stress on my build. It was painted and ready for clearcoat in June of '09 and then in Dec '09 he apologized for his illness that put it him out several months and told me that it should be a couple more months. Im stoked to finally get it. Its still my dream guitar. But he knows I have my Custom ESPs to get me by and Im cool with waiting. Glad to hear this. From the pics I got last year it looks to be the most beautiful flame maple top I have ever seen and with the most beautiful Macassar ebony fretboard and yummy maple binding ever! :yesway:

2. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I have nothing to do with Mike's business, but he is a friend of mine so I'll say this - dude had some health problems, worked through it, was forced to backlog some things, and is working his ass off on everything else in the queue.

I've been waiting about as long as you have, and it's just the nature of the beast with custom stuff. I have one Sherman now, and I will say that it is one hell of a guitar. :)

This summer has just been a nightmare for painters around here, and I'd rather hang on a little longer and wait for the right weather than have a cloudy top. If you want to shoot me a PM on here (since Mike's banned here) I can ping Mike about your order and ask him to drop you a line, but again I've got nothing to do with his business - I just drink beers with the guy. :)

Edit: MG is a better place to PM me, but I'll drop him a line all the same.

3. angus

angus SS.org Regular

I've heard the "it's in the spray booth" since early 2007, and they never got there. The one bass that arrived to me ("as is" as we had agreed) was nowhere near ready to go to the spray booth, and the other one is still MIA. And this was way before any health issues.

I hope everyone's instruments are in that batch, but man, sakeido is right not to believe it until he sees it.

Ben.Last likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I sent you a PM on MG, but I'll toss this here as well. I was at Mike's today and he has about a dozen completely built guitars hanging up in his shop waiting for clear (including one of mine, two of Lee's, and 3 of Crucified's). Your guitar is definitely all set, and it looks amazing man. I also have the Macassar fretboard on mine (attached) and it's definitely kickass wood.

Saikedo, yours is as well, and it also looks great.

Again, I don't speak for Mike at all, but I said I'd take a look, so there you go. :yesway:

Edit: Angus, yours is between you and Mike, so I'm not commenting on it intentionally. Nothing personal.

5. angus

angus SS.org Regular

No worries, I don't take anything personal- I know the state it's in. I just don't know why he can't get around to shipping it. He shipped the other. But it's all good.

I'm not sure why anyone would have to stray from commenting on it. Everything has been out in the open for a long time now.

6. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

Thanks man! You held true to your word. Im real excited about this guitar. I know its gonna be amazing when I finally get it and a huge NGD will follow. Couldnt find a 27" scale 7 string with the specs I wanted anywhere, so I went with Sherman. After seeing yours and Letchfords I was sold. :yesway:

7. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Well, I got my finished fretless 7 string bass back from Michael Dolan, the guy who finished it for me. It is a pretty damn good instrument, all said and done. The B string is one of the best I've ever encountered, and I've played hundreds and hundreds of great custom basses over the years. I said I would give Mike fair credit for the things he does well, and this instrument is definitely crafted very, very well. It needed a lot of work when it arrived, but the end result is a great instrument. I just wish the path to getting it wasn't so fraught. But credit where credit is most certainly due- it's a very impressively built instrument.

I called Mike to tell them that the final product turned out great, and to thank him for his work. He didn't pick up of course, but I left a message- it's only fair that he should be told that his instrument turned out very well. I'm still hoping he'll send the fretted bass at some point, and that he'll call me back to get my new address, but who knows.

I wouldn't say that any of it was worth the hassle, struggle and effort involved (almost) four years on...but it is a great instrument. Here's to hoping he gets around to shipping the other.

cyril v likes this.
  8. angus

angus SS.org Regular

I'll post this in honor of the new year. Here's to hoping Mike gets around to shipping my other bass to me next year. Looks pretty good, right?

Taken with crappy iPhone camera:
    [​IMG]

Necris and cyril v like this.
  9. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

MOD EDIT:

10. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Well not yet- I'm still waiting for the original instrument I ordered.

But maybe someday. I certainly hope so!

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

MOD EDIT:

12. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

That's great that it ended well. I'm hoping my order will turn up, and will be as good as it's meant to be as well. It's a shame about his business practice, considering the quality of his work.

Angus, let me know if you hear anything.

13. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Like I said, I would not say that it has "ended", nor really "well", since I still had to do a lot of work to have the bass completed once it arrived. It cost me over $1000 (I don't remember the exact amount) to have it completed here in California, and that's over and above the 100% payment Mike already had for it years ago.

But I have it, and that's the point, and I'm pushing for him to follow through with our agreement and just send me the fretted bass as is, too. I don't know what the hold up has been.

14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Is he even talking to you right now? I haven't heard from him in months.

15. angus

angus SS.org Regular

I got him on the phone once in the summer of 2009 when we made the deal for him just to send me both basses "as is", which was great.

Before that it was early 2008...and it wasn't for lack of trying.

I think we exchanged I few emails in early-mid 2008, too, in fairness.

severussnape likes this.
  16. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Good news... it looks like Mike is officially back in action! We spoke about a month ago and he shed some light on the situation. I won't get into his personal details but basically because of his situation he was not able to get back to the finishing booth as soon as he originally thought possible but would be able to soon. I didn't want to mention it here prematurely, but now that I've seen some pics of guitars that have had their first coats I feel like it's appropriate. Needless to say the work looks glorious!

When we spoke about the communication issues he more or less agreed that he could have let me know that the finishing process was going to be delayed past what he had previously told me and said that it's hard keeping in touch because the amount of emails and inquiries that he gets can become overwhelming. I got a genuine sense that he doesn't like this situation either and just wants to get everybody their guitars and make them happy. Now that I saw the pics I feel even more confident about that. It might still be a bumpy ride considering the amount of orders he is fulfilling and what I mentioned before about why it's hard to keep in touch, so patience is key, but I still think the situation looks like it's improving. And of course I can't comment on the people who have disputes w/ him, just for those of us who have been waiting longer than we anticipated.

17. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

Well since this thread was bumped and I saw it and Ive been waiting on my Sherman since Jan '09, I thought I would share what is good news also. Mike emailed me last week that he was grainfilling and clear coat starts this week. Im stoked! :metal:

Mines a 27" 7 string mahogany set neck with two maple stringers, mahogany body, flame maple top, maple neck binding, macasar ebony fretboard, hipshot bridge, 18v EMG 81/60-7 :shred:

18. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Did it arrive, leonardo?

Mine is still MIA.

19. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

Im just going to wait patiently. Its been 33 months since placing the order along with a $1700 deposit, 27 months since I was originally told it would be done, and 6 months since Ive heard anything from Mike himself after sending him a brief inquiring email. After contacting his webmaster a few months ago, it actually did get added to the in progress page at 27″ Scale 7 String | Michael Sherman Guitars. Ive heard he has about a dozen finished/mostly-finished guitars hanging up in his shop waiting for clear, including Chris's JEM, one of Kevin's, two of Lee's, mine and Saikedos. But as far as a timeframe, thats still the unknown. The wait continues.

20. ChrisLetchford

ChrisLetchford SS.org Regular

Add two 7 strings for myself to that list. He has a lot on his plate, and its typical one man luthier company stuff to have long waits, so definitely best to be patient for sure!