Anyone ever used Stratosphere to build a parts guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Cheap, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Lately I've been jonesing for a Les Paul and can't see myself ordering a 70's custom anytime soon so I'm looking around for more cost-effective alternatives and found the Stratosphere guitar parts website.

There are bodies/necks without hardware that look like pretty good deals to me, but I'm approaching this like it's too good to be true. Anyone have any experience ordering from them or anything similar?

Should I just suck it up like a good buttercup and go full on Gibson in 2018?

Opinions and experiences requested!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I'd say just grab an LTD eclipse if you just want a cheaper LP to bang around (or an agile). Kit builds can be fun if you're willing to do the work to set them up/etc but there's no reason to go that route or Custom unless you can't find an LP style guitar with the specs you want.

3. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Stratosphere doesn't do the kit thing - they're genuine Gibson guitars without hardware/wiring/pickups, which makes sense if you're just going to change that stuff anyway.

I know people that have been satisfied with his stuff, but I've never bought anything myself.

4. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

^same. Never used them, but have a friend who built a Fender Aerodyne bass where he put in Bartolini pickups. He loved the end result.

5. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I'd be a little wary of going with a straight up Eclipse and definitely am against an Agile. I feel like that's a guaranteed way to end up spending twice to eventually go for the 'real deal'. I'm trying to not wear my brand goggles here, but I think that's harder for me to do with Les Pauls for whatever reason haha

I would absolutely be going the upgraded hardware and pickup route so that's why the Stratosphere thing really appeals to me. Is it just one guy running everything? I'm having a hard time seeing where it's a viable business for the site and would be worried about getting something sub par because it's someone trying to make a quick buck on bulk buys or something

Did he get the body and neck from the site or go with a body and build the neck through warmoth or the other way around? They seem to have a fair amount of Fender custom shop stuff that's pretty appealing

6. KnightBrolaire

i thought their prices (at least for fender/squier stuff) are pretty steep for bodies/necks.
    i don't really see the point of buying a stripped gibson when i could get another LP styled guitar and mod it.
    I take it you haven't played any higher end eclipses then. they're excellent guitars for the money, especially used edwards,burnys or eii eclipses. lower and midrange gibsons don't compare to those ime.

7. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I definitely haven't spent more than a few minutes with the higher end eclipses, but at that price point I think I'd just go for the Gibson based on experience (and if I can find a good one). I've been looking a bit at the Edwards as of this morning and still don't know much other than they're Japan made and can be had for around 1k which sounds really, really good to me. My buddy has a Burny that he won't let go of and I owned a Greco copy that wasn't entirely a piece of shit so that realm has piqued my interest. Buying those old and used without playing is pretty daunting--I know they're hard to find to try first at least in AZ

8. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Body and neck were both from Stratosphere. It's most definitely not a one man show, though. Have you visited the "About Us" page on their site? If it were my style I might have a go with them, anyways. I usually just build my stuff from scratch.

9. KnightBrolaire

there's a lot of good looking edwards and EIIs on reverb/ebay for sub 1k. Any of the newer eclipses over 500$ are pretty damn good ime.

Masoo2 likes this.
  10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I did a Gibson LPJ build with a Stratosphere LPJ husk before:

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/insanecomicdude/library/LPJ refinish?sort=2&page=1

It was pretty cool. Stripping the finish was not amazing but if you find one in a finish you like, then you're golden. Not sure if it actually came out cheaper, but it ended up pretty cool. Used GFS parts, except for the pickups which were an EMG 80/85 set I already had.

Other option if you want an LP is one of the higher-end Agile AL models. I have two of the AL3000Ms and they are divine. Especially for <400USD

11. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Both - one bought a Gibson neck/body pairing and used his own hardware and one purchased some Fender parts and added their own stuff.

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Find a well loved LPC for not insane money and love it dearly, if you really want an LPC. If you want a super clean one, then this site sounds like potentially your best bet.

13. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I built this bass using 80% of their parts.