Anyone ever try Fat Gripz?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Blytheryn, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I know a lot people use Fat Gripz for bar stuff but they're definitely worth trying with face pulls cause it's more of a feel movement anyway and using Gripz slows you down a bit and makes it all about the upper back contraction with a nice forearm pump as a bonus.

2. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Let's see. I actually lost my blue pair for a few weeks in the Summer but went back and bought another set, this time in stealth black. I use them mostly on arm days, sometimes on shoulder days too.
    [​IMG]

I'll say this though, my grip strength and forearm size have increased monumentally thanks to these. I no longer have trouble gripping heavy lat pulldowns for longer sets, and my pull-ups have gotten better because my hands don't hurt any more. I haven't used these any on deadlifts, but I will give them a go next time for sure.

I can also curl more, which makes me insanely happy. I almost only do my hammer curls with the Gripz, and they rock. IN-SANE forearm burn.

Man you are making me giddy to try the extremes... Would love to trial them first before buying, but hey, what's the worst that could happen... more forearm gainz?

3. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

That's great man! Grip strength is a largely forgotten virtue. I think it's great that you use them, keep doing it. The Extremes are, guess what!? EXTREME! :D

I think it's smart to be careful with those, even if you're very experienced in grip training. Thick bar training usually takes longer to recover from than most other types of grip training. With the extremes you're really pusing it.
    They really works the fingertips and the thumb way harder.

I've designed a program for myself with the fatgripz for dumbbell rows, I've designed the program in a way so that I both get a good workout for my hands and my back without risking getting injured. So I start with the extremes with low weight, then I go up in weight but then I reduce the handle diameter. I already have solid dumbbells for the 60 mm grip so I don't need the standard fatgripz, then I go up more in weight and use even thinner handle, the IronGrip 2.0, then finish with a normal sized dumbbell for the heaviest weight :)

4. Blytheryn

Yeah, I think I might have either gotten a slightly "dud" pair, because they don't fit as tightly around most bars as my blue pair used to. I just have to grip them tighter to keep them gripping the bar... More gainz? In any case, I am the only guy at my gym (You're Swedish, you've heard of Exhale Gym in Gothenburg, right?) who uses them. I tried doing farmers walks with them a while ago, and man did that KILL!!!

That program sounds awesome. I'm training to get a good score on the Air Force physical when that comes around so I am training a lot of back for pull ups and grip comes hand in hand with that, as even if my back is strong my grip might give. Can't have that. Think ill spring on Fat Gripz Extreme next payday... Would be cool to try on hammer curls.:lol:

5. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

I never been to that gym, I live in Sundsvall so Gothenburg is quite far away. Actually I've only been there once, when I was a kid, we took the ferry to England :D

I hate pull ups but that probably because I'm 100 kg's. My grip never fails on it though, it's always my back :D So I think you will become very good with pull ups if you keep your bodyweight under 85 kg's.

6. Blytheryn

Ahah, man you are waaaay up there! :D

I hate pull ups too, I'm 193cm, and currently at about 90kg, so not overly big, but I have some weight I could lose. A friend of mine at the gym suggested I do weighted negative pull ups, so I do those around twice a week to train my my body to be used to heavier weights than I weigh. The way I'm working now with constant night shifts, day shifts and anything in between though is really wreaking havoc on my training. I try to get in a chest, back and leg day in for sure every week and complement that with shoulders arms and abs when given the chance... Guess I have to kick my own ass, get on a meal plan and some HIIT cardio and knock down that weight to a fighting, shredded 85kgs. (It's actually been my goal to be 85 shredded for a while, so let's see if I can hit it.)

7. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

At 1.95m (6'5ish for you mericans) and 95kg (210lbs) I feel you guys. Pull ups such :lol: