Anyone ever try Fat Gripz?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Blytheryn, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

[​IMG]

Saw these on the internet a while ago and was intrigued. They popped up in my local gym store when I was there a few days ago so I thought I would try them out. Any of you guys try these before? Apparently the science is that the larger diameter bar works your biceps, forearm and grip in a different way, engaging a lot more muscle than a smaller diameter bar.

Used them on chest day for my bench presses and incline chest presses as well as back and biceps. Got a good pump and my arms felt sore as hell after. Had to bump down the weights a notch after burning out way fast on my normal weights doing hammer curls. Really hits 'em hard.

Anyways, just worth throwing it out there. Any of you guys have these, or did I just dump cash into another worthless fitness trend?

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I could see using them for warmups on deadlifts or benching, but I would rather just lift the heavier weight and work my grip, and everything else, better that way.

I also have tiny bitch hands and I probably simply wouldn't be able to grab them. Haha.

3. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I've tried them once or twice and have heard a lot of people who are very positive on them. Folks have been using thicker bars and wrapping their towels around bars to make them larger for ages now, this just makes it easier and transforms any regular bar into a thicker one. When you do bicep/forearm work, they do work as the bigger size works your grip/forearms more.

4. Blytheryn

After a set of using these the normal bar felt tiny... Super weird. I've got to see how else I can incorporate them, but for now all I can think of is bi's, tri's, forearms and bench. Pull ups too of course, but I need to get back in fighting shape to really do those. Sitting up at 91-2kg's trying cut for summer.

5. Blytheryn

Exactly what I felt. In addition it's just another cool thing to schlep around the gym, along with my milk gallon water jug, enormous lifting belt, chains and do rag ofc.:lol:

6. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

No you did yourself a big favour. Fatbar is the key to build real strength.

I haven't bought Fat Gripz yet but I will soon. I do a lot of grip training, it's actually a mystery why I don't own a set of Fat Gripz. But I do a lot of thickbar training anyway, lots of other grip training aswell, Rolling Thunder, pinching, grippers, axle deadlifts, thickbar dumbbells deadlifts, wrist rollers and wrist curls etc.

I don't like thick bars for pressing though only for pulling.

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

They ....ing rule for hammer curls, absolutely slay your forearms. I like em for overhead press too just for comfort and getting the bar on my palm, more openfinger.

8. Blytheryn

They've got them at Gymgrossisten. Think I paid something like 300ish? Little pricy.

I'll try them on overhead press today, have triceps as well because I don't like doing them on chest day because I don't usually have the strength to do a full tri's routine after chest.

9. onefingersweep

Yes but you can get cheaper replicas on other places. There's also other dimensions available. I think 60 mm is the best though (or I think Fat Gripz is actually slightly under 60 mm) since 60 mm is somewhat of a standard when it comes to fatbar, the INCH dumbbells having that diameter and also Rolling Thunder. But you could of course go with more or less, armwrestlers usually goes with 50 mm in their training. More than 60 mm, like 76 mm and above is more of grip niche.

I don't think 300 SEK is a lot for what it offers though, it's very small expense considering what you get out of it. The good thing is that you can use them in almost every exersize you do and where ever you are.

There's another company called Iron Bull Strength that makes a version of "Fat Gripz" in three different sizes, 2", 2.5" and 3". I'm thinking of buying the complete set.

10. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'd probably greatly benefit from them. Small forearms and my grip gives out before strength does on heavy deadlift singles. I've seen them before, but never used them.

11. Blytheryn

Give them a go. I'm probably going to go for the larger size as well. My grip gives out scarily fast on lat pulldowns and heavy shrugs, so that's what I'll be focusing on in the future. The orange fatgripz look insane.

[​IMG]

12. onefingersweep

I think that grippers are a faster and easier way to start if you want to build better grip strength for barbell lifts and pull/chin ups.

For general grip strength, yes fat gripz and fat bars for sure but you might get smoked if you start with that. The thing is that when you use larger diameters for the grip, your grip is what is going to limit you and you need to organize your workout in a smart way so that you don't miss lifts that you normally would make. Of course there are ways around this, like using straps for the normal diameter bars so the grip doesn't limit you and then lower the weight and use fat gripz to train the grip.

The reason I say that grippers will be a faster way in the beginning is because they are more similar to the bars you use in other exersizes, you will train the crushing grip more effectivly and it's also dynamic training. With grippers you can also put your grip workouts in on another day. You normally do grippers on pressing days, with fat gripz you don't have the same options but as I said there's of course ways around this. A combination of both would be even better.

Just make sure you don't overdo it in the beginning if you're not used to fat bars, that type of training can really make the forearms sore for a week if you go really heavy. Rolling handles are worse though, they really murder the forearm flexors.

13. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Honestly, it seems like a bit of a joke to me. If you want to increase forearm strength then work that. Why would you use these to put extra strain on your forearms while doing dead lifts? You don't need fancy machines or faddish gadgets to get fit. Just stick with a reasonable program and eat plenty of protein.

These look like ..... pads for your hands.

14. onefingersweep

Well increasing forearm strength is exactly what you're doing with Fat Gripz.

Not everyone have access to fat handled equipment, only specialized gyms have equipment like that and it's not easy to have at home.

I challenge you to lift with Fat Gripz before you make comments like "pads for your hands" :D

15. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

I've got em. When I first got em, I would do DLs with em for grip, etc. Now I just use em for zercher squats to increase the surface area that is sitting in my elbow pits. Makes it a lot less uncomfy once you get up there in weight.
    For grip, the past year I swear by the captains of crush grippers. Still can't close the #2.

16. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

as said before, if you want to do fat bar training, but dont have a fat bar get these.

if you dont have time to integrate these into your training properly then it won't be a good investment.

for those whose deadlift is impeded by weaker grip i got a tip for you:

Hook grip.

it sucks and makes your thumbs feel like they're about to explode.. but it works.

most grip deficiencies come from alternate grip in deadlift. do all your warm ups sets with a hook grip and lighter working sets with hook grip until you can do your max sets with hook grip.

its that simple

17. onefingersweep

Hook grip is good if you want to increase your numbers on DL but the downside of it is that it doesn't make your grip stronger.

18. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I remember a friend a while ago brought a pair of these into the gym and they worked really well for forearm murdering. Since then I've never seen anybody else using them..

19. Blytheryn

Since I got them in February I've been including them a little here and there, but mostly for arm day, and I have to say... They rule for grip strength. I've been able to just keep piling on weights for my deadlifts, and I surprised myself today when I could just keep going on 40kg dumbbell shrugs for like 4 sets at 15 reps without my grip even flinching. Definitely a sick purchase.

20. onefingersweep

How's it going with your training (with fatgripz), made any more progress?

I recently pulled the trigger on a set of fatgripz extreme and I also bought the IronBull TrueGrips 2.0 (inches). I have both on my shorter bar, using them for curls, reverse curls, rowing etc, I just move them around on the bar I never need to take them off which is really convenient. Haven't tried them so much with dumbbells yet but I can already tell that the fatgripz extreme are killer! Only managed 45 kg deadlift with a dumbbell.