Anyone ever put an Air Norton and JB in same guitar?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheShreddinHand, Oct 25, 2018.

1. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Title says it all. I really can't seem to get away from the fact that I prefer Dimarzio neck pickups, but SD bridge pickups and these are 2 of my favs. Anyone ever put them both in a guitar and like or dislike the results? It's an Ibanez guitar so stock wiring on AN will stay, but how different is the wiring on the SD? Is there a cheat sheet for which color wire substitutes for the other (Dimarzio to SD) and would I then just solder them in the same spots? Thanks!

2. TheShreddinHand

Thanks for the link!!

I'm also considering staying all Duncan still. Of all the SD neck pickups I tried (59, Jazz, Sentient, Distortion, BW) the Black Winter was my fav by far. Not sure how a BW neck would go with a JB bridge though......I did love the BW bridge, but the JB a hair more.

SD tech recommended the screamin' demon, but i don't know if that's what i'm after. A BW/JB could be cool....

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

black winter neck isn't that hot output wise, should match up fine with a JB in that aspect. I had an alnico II pro paired with my bw bridge for a bit. Not really my kind of sound though.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  4. TheShreddinHand

Yeah, really tempting to just give the JB/BW combo a try. I'll report back if i pull the trigger.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

I have a guitar in the shop now for this combo. I think it will work well. The BW is my fav SD neck pup - to me it sits well between the jazz which is too thin and the 59 which is too fat

6. TheShreddinHand

Do report back if you get it before I take the plunge and let us know how it is.

7. TheShreddinHand

Knight, just to confirm (and not sure if you know), but all I'd have to do is put the corresponding SD wires in the exact same spots the Dimarzio wires are in right now (making the appropriate substitutions of course: Black SD for Red D, White SD for Black D, and Red SD for White D) and everything should switch the same as it does on my Ibanez right now?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

yup

9. TheShreddinHand

Awesome, will report back after I wire them up this weekend.

10. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Got my JB/BW combo guitar back. Alder/Maple bolt-on, hipshot bridge. I think it works well. I had a 5 way switch wired - bridge hum/B single/both/neck single/neck hum. What I like is each position is usable. Usually I find only the 1 and 5 positions useful. But with the BW - its so powerful that it "fills in the spectrum". My tech put the height very low and it still holds its own with the bridge in volume in all respects. I had EMG 57/66 in the guitar before - it sounded great in bridge but the rest was so unorganic and lifeless. It is now loud and plenty organic in all the positions. I find I need to tweak my presets to tame the mid spike on the JB some. The telling factor on the BW neck is I find myself switching through the positions and continuing to play and each position is a variation of the previous, not night and day changes. I like that a lot. So - thumbs up on this combo for me.

11. TheShreddinHand

Nice! What guitar (brand/model) did you put them in?

12. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Schecter Banshee.

13. TheShreddinHand

Well I’m an idiot. Totally forgot Duncan’s are square tabs on the end of the legs and my Ibanez is triangular. I’ve either got to route the guitar, the pickup tabs or just return/sell the pickups. Sigh, might just return em’, there’s nothing wrong with my current air norton/d sonic set, had just wanted to try something else. Ugh!

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

You can also try cheaper comparable alternatives on eBay. Guitar Madness has very nice selections cheap enough to try and toss until you find what you want, but most likely you'll like them!

I tried their GM Dirty Digits (similar to Gibson's Dirty Fingers) and they are really nice!

Comparison with stock...

in somewhat full production environment...

They also have ones similarly spec'd with SD jb and jazz.

Contact seller, he's very knowledgeable and used to be with an NY based pickup company.