Anyone else never learned a cover?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by ncfiala, Jan 10, 2017.

1. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I didn't intend in any way to impugn the playing of Drew, or anyone really.

2. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

edit: nevermind.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

None taken, but by that same argument, Britney Spears is an even better musician than Stephen Carpenter, and she entirely plays other people's music. Success on its own doesn't prove talent or uniqueness of approach.

My broader point was I don't really hear people raving about the Deftones for their highly creative, inventive, and unique guitar parts - their guitar playing sounds like a bunch of other bands that got big around the same time. I think their success was more driven by the songwriting, of which the guitar plays a supporting role.

So, I don't think he was a failure as a guitarist - I just think he's not especially unique. I don't think his band's success automatically *proves* that learning covers is bad for your growth as a musician, because I don't think the guitar playing is instrumental to their success.

EDIT - and, I'll add this - I just hit wikipedia to try to find a couple early reviews of Adrenaline, to see if maybe I'm misremembering this whole thing since I was pretty young when they broke out (random story, the first time I ever jammed with people drunk was playing "Root" half in the bag at a drummer buddy's place, and I distinctly remember thinking that my picking hand was looser drunk than sober). And, the page starts off with the story about how Stephen Carpenter allegedly learned how to play guitar after getting hit by a car while skateboarding, and taught himself by playing along with Metallica and Anthrax songs. So this whole thing that he didn't learn by playing covers and his playing is somehow unique for that isn't even true. :lol: