Anyone else having this problem?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by r3tr0sp3ct1v3, May 21, 2012.

1. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I can NOT for the love of God write on my 7 string anymore. I played 6 string for 4 years and composed so much music. I got my seven about a year ago, wrote a few songs.

Now, I can't write anything. I can still write on a 6 string but when I pick up my 7, nothing comes out.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

i had that problem for a bit, try using a new tuning:yesway:

3. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Thanks!I've been using drop A the whole time. I used drop A on a 6 string for like most of my old writing, that's what confused me so much when I couldn't write. I think i'll try drop G.

4. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

dont be afraid to venture way out of what you normally use, i normally change every 4 months or so just to keep from writing the same thing over and over again.

5. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

To be honest, I've had my 7 for a year and barely written a riff on it! I've pulled a few things out of it, but I think I'm taking time adjusting to it.

It's kind of odd as it's a pleasure to play and the low b is by no means a stretch to the headology of it all (I've played a 5 string bass for about 10 years!), but there you go.

I did buy it for those low, earthy thrashy riffs like DT's the Glass Prison. But I can't seem to ever be convinced enough with what I riff out to keep on to it.

I am getting to grips with the thing, but slowly. Ever. So. Slowly.

Time will tell...! :)

6. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

It's just another string, I don't know how people get so confused?

Swyse likes this.
  7. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

:D I don't think it's about confused. I think for me it's getting around the sound (the 7th does seem to sound fairly different from the others to me) and, I dunno, maybe just a feel thing.

Having 20 years of automating the fingers/mind to 6, I guess it's just a little stretch that's taking an old mind a bit of time! :)

I think as well that, being a lead guitarist by nature and play more rock than metal, I'm trying to get things out of myself I never really have as such. But it's a case of keep plugging away... I'm going to be getting a lot of creative stuff out of me this year (I've been a bit stagnant for quite a few years in terms of writing).

8. Rain

Rain Musical Sith Lord

Writer's block really sucks. I'd say try to venture out of the Low B string. I've written songs in E minor instead of B minor scale on my 7 string and used mainly the top 6 strings the way a regular 6 string guitar in E standard tuning would, only using the Low B for heavy chords or to do a variation of the riffs on the 6th string.

9. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I approach it as two guitars: one in drop tuning, and one in E standard. Try ripping around on some power chords, then switching to the root notes using open chords. Or if you're down with triads, you can make some amazingly groovy little melodies.

I don't think it's the extra string that's giving you issues, I think your writer's block is just hampering you from finding creative uses for it.

10. hellraizer84

hellraizer84 SS.org Regular

it makes me happy that im not the only one getting this problem haha in all honesty it seems to come from not being as good at the 7 as the 6,iv been playing 6 for 15 years and seven for well a matter of 5 months really but iv found as i gain confidence on the instrument my ideas are more inspired and not all an low A chug haha which is pretty much all i did for the first few months haha

iv found a good thing to do is play it like a 6 and write in higher keys and then use the 7 for extending the range

to me its way more effective this way as i think once you have heard a load of A or whatever it stops sounding low and you become desensitized to it somehow,

but yeah man im right with ya there i ran out of ideas pretty fast early on

alt tuning help also,rather than going lower on the 7 try open tuning it like tesseract,also i tend to use regular drop D tuning and have an A on the bottom and that brings out some new flavours

sorry this message was so long haha and good luck!

11. hellraizer84

hellraizer84 SS.org Regular

and yeah ill second this man,im using 6 7 and now an 8 string and lots of different tunings just to break this habbit and stop it all being monotonous ect

iv still not nailed soloing on the 7 at all though,its pretty noisy at the minute and i fuckin hate solo palying in A minor haha!

great thing about the 8 is i drop tune it to E so im back in standard again haha yeah bring back me old licks!

12. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I hate to admit this, but shredding on a 6 string is easier.

Half wound, half unwound, your brain gets used to that. Good thing I got sick of sweep picking and don't care.

Every now and then I do get the urge to get all neo-classical, maybe throw a wig on and play some epic reverb drenched emotional solo though haha.

13. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Tune up to drop c

14. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

I'ver never found any difficulty in switching from 6 to 7. I do, however, have a problem with 8-strings. That's one toke over the line for me.

15. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

It's not that I have trouble adjusting to the string. I switch very easily. My problem is I can't write with such a low tuning sometimes.

As i've gone further into my guitar playing, i've noticed that I have started to play in higher tunings. I mean I play in D# standard and drop B [it isn't much a difference but it sounds that way to me]

I may also not be getting into my 7 because of the EMGs.

16. master of the human race

master of the human race SS.org Regular

What would that have to do with anything?