Anyone else checked out Westworld New HBO

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by brutalwizard, Oct 6, 2016.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Oh, yeah. I didn't read ANY of that stuff, until this week when I actually read a comment thread on AV club. Lots of people were like "this all proves our theory!!!!" But, their theory was a lot less ridiculous than those. I'm not surprised people were thinking of idiotic Lost-style twists. This show, though, dropped clues on purpose and then confirmed them, as opposed to Lost, where they dropped clues and then intentionally did something completely different to be WILD and UNPREDICTABLE!

2. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

yeah I never watched Lost, but I know the general idea. How it was great and then just went in the crapper. There were some theories that this is how Westworld will turn out, but whatever.

Also I agree with whoever said that they don't see how this can go 5 or 6 seasons. I really think this is 3 seasons of 10 episodes MAX, otherwise it's into Walking Dead territory of like "oh bad guy, oh they beat him, oh NEW bad guy."

Season1: Establish characters, conflict
    Season 2: explore conflict and certain characters
    Season 3: Resolve conflict complete arc of characters.

Even then it might be too many episodes. The thing is, they can keep introducing new characters via outside world or robots.

3. wankerness

The only way they can keep introducing characters is if they keep delaying and delaying actually showing the two rebellions (Maeve and Dolores). And once those happen, then where do they have to go? 4-5 seasons of blue balls would be ridiculous.

Considering we already know the rough outcome of Dolores's (she massacred tons of bots and killed the real Arnold, who we've seen plenty of times talking to her, he was clearly interested in how she was becoming "sentient", but then was put back into circulation; and Billy apparently became resentful of how he fell so hard for her and has been trying to figure out her inner workings ever since, while also turning into Mr. Psycho), there's not much suspense there, either!

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I don't have time to go into all the things about the finale

in short

I liked it .liked what they did and how it ended

5. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

slow at times, but it had enough great and compelling moments. The finale worked well IMO

6. fps

fps Kit

This show was very stupid, while pretending to be very clever and important. Shows that pompous always annoy me. As does replacing storytelling with simply not giving you enough information to enjoy and engage with what is happening.

7. wankerness

How was it stupid?

8. fps

fps Kit

Just watch it and ask yourself "does this make sense" every time a character does anything. Even ask it about the set-up itself. Worth asking if any people ever talk or behave anything like any of the people in the show too. It is a seriously, stupendously dumb show.

9. wankerness

That dodged the question. I can't think of any "stupendously dumb" or "idiotic" behavior, so obviously I don't think LITERALLY EVERY THING ANYONE DOES ON THE ENTIRE SHOW is idiotic.

The one thing I see people complain about is the tech who helps Maeve, but I think that's easily explained away by "maybe this guy actually sides with the bots" like other characters do. :p

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

You mean next time I'm at the robot wild west simulation park I should see if real people there act the way they do in the show? Not that I think anyone has to appeal to the outrageously unusual circumstances of the show's future lifestyle to justify the behavior or dialogue -- it's big-budget HBO -- there's no guarantee of success but it's a given that it has good actors and good dialogue. I can't really think of any instance from the show that fits what you're saying.

It was the maze subplot that kind of threw me with it's "LOST" heavy mystery to substance ratio though.

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the irony of people saying its stupid, is probably because its actually so cleverly done and most definitely not stupid, that some dont understand the show therefore just put it down.

12. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

I like it, but how does "food" work?

Presumeably, some robot person/hunter/cook is going out and killing/butchering some other ?robot animal?

Then making "food", and serving it to "guests?"

Basically, someone explain to me how "real food" might make it's way into WestWorld....

13. wankerness

[​IMG]

14. fps

fps Kit

The guy who was walking through all-glass rooms, and still didn't see the horrendous murder happening in the room he was going into until he walked through the glass door. One example among many.

And the show needs some level of reality to bounce off and relate to. If you're going to have actors playing humans in your show, you're going to need to give them some human-like patterns of behaviour, or speech, or communication, anything... I understand that removing those elements can be the point, but in this case the show didn't earn the right to do that for me.

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

C'mon man, that was 3 weeks ago now. Half the show takes place in all-glass rooms. I can't follow that.

But yea, regarding actors having human-like patterns of behaviour, speech, etc., pretty sure everyone had that. I honestly can't even imagine what you mean without turning it into a joke, and I've not read a single criticism of the show that shared your opinion.