Anyone else checked out Westworld New HBO

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by brutalwizard, Oct 6, 2016.

1. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

The premise is sick. Already found the characters to be pretty engaging.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I liked it. I haven't seen the original for maybe 30 years. Need to watch it again for perspective

3. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Yeah, saw the first episode and it was pretty interesting. I'm keen for the rest of the season.

4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dig it. I'm in, if they pace this right it could turn out incredible.

5. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I think this might become my new favorite series haha really enjoyed the first ep.
    Heck, even his OST was epic as fax near the beginning

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

It was pretty cool. I love scifi and westerns so this was a nice mix imo. I liked the anachronistic music like when they used black hole sun and paint it black for the saloon music.

7. fps

fps Kit

Its approach to ethical issues around technology is sooooo dated.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's a bit too dour and ponderous (largely due to the lousy two themes that get repeated over and over), but overall I like it quite a bit. Evan Rachel Wood is tearing it up, or at least the writing for her character is. It seems VERY much to be moving in the vein of Ex Machina so far. They seem to have split the Caleb character into the main scientist guy, and probably McPoyle, who seems to now be set up to fall for her hard and probably help to enable her.

I love the actor who's playing the main scientist guy (I recognize him, but can't recall his characters from either thing I've seen him in - the Hunger Games movies and Source Code). I still can't take McPoyle seriously, because McPoyle. He hasn't been on screen enough to make much of an impression beyond "nerdy well-meaning guy."

I don't really get what the point is of Ed Harris's character yet, and I hate watching him. The show is REALLY making you hate the humans immediately, while the movie obviously just had the robots as menaces. And casting Evan Rachel Wood as the lead robot obviously sets just about everyone up to side with and even love her, though that is probably part of the show's point. Ex Machina syndrome? :p

Anthony Hopkins so far seems as inconsistent as that parallel terrible, terrible character in Jurassic World - the one played by the guy who played Pi. I don't care enough to look him up. Point is, that guy was also kind of the park "designer," and he had this bizarre split between having some childlike sense of wanting to bring dreams to people, and then some kind of ruthless mercenary businessman, and then some kind of heroic helicopter pilot. Anthony Hopkins seems to be similarly split with no explanation, but I have more faith in this show than that awful movie, and there are plenty of episodes left to make him make sense.

I get a kick out of the piano rolls, it's much more fun to listen to that than the crappy score which frequently seems to be threatening to go into the Rains of Castemere. I noticed No Surprises and Black Hole Sun so far, and I guess Paint it Black, though that turned into non-diegetic music pretty quick.

9. fps

fps Kit

The re-imagined soundtrack is a pleasure, for sure! Plus reflects the kinda people who might design this place and what they might listen to, so, double win!

10. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Have never even heard of this show. Just watched a trailer. Wow, looks pretty cool, definitely gotta check this out.

11. wankerness

An orgy scored by a string arrangement of "Something I Can Never Have" was not a musical choice I could have predicted!

12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Just finished epi 7. This is nuts and the implications are staggering.

How many people has he replaced with Hosts? Who is paying for this and what's the agenda? Ostensibly this is a amusement park but cmon. The costs of running this thing aren't being handled by guests paying $40k per day. Operations costs for this place have to run into the billions per year. Who's got that money? Governments, military and foreign powers, that's who.

I'm interested in what this thing exactly IS, because in spite of what we've been shown it's simply got to be something else entirely.

How much do you think a government would pay for a population they can control? I mean of course they couldn't get everyone, but even 10-20% of the richest people in a country can have serious policy implications.

13. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Man I didn't see it coming and loved it. I like this show a lot. Anthony Hopkins is turning into a fantastic villain type character and he plays it soooooo well. His facial expressions during the demonstration wheb Bernard got fired were chilling. Him knowing Bernards reality during the while thing. Man. Good stuff

14. thraxil

thraxil cylon

It's a really well done show, but I'm having a hard time suspending disbelief and buying in to the whole concept of the world. With the advanced AI, robotics, and bioengineering technology that they have, I just can't see how a wild west theme park would be a remotely plausible use of that technology.

Also, as a software developer, it's hard to watch them bumbling about and wonder how development veered so far off the path of version control, code review, reproducible builds, audit trails, and automated testing.

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

still liking it allot

gotta say not really sure where its going to go in ep's 9 and 10 ,which is a good thing

16. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Well that was a really great episode

17. wankerness

I'm REALLY praying we don't get 4-5 seasons of this. I just don't get how they can stretch this past two seasons. It's starting to feel like a chore to watch, and knowing that any big robo-revolution that happens is going to be either so delayed or inconsequential that we have 3-4 more seasons of it is just tiring to think about. Gah.

The way the show confirmed that
    this is a two-timeline show and it looks like it's almost definite that William (McPoyle) is the Man in Black (Ed Harris) last night is also sort of tiring to think about. I'm still trying to piece together some aspects of it, like how Ford looks the same constantly besides in a couple short flashbacks.
    I don't know if I enjoy the show enough to rewatch this season, but it looks like that is going to be necessary to sort all that out since I wasn't looking for it AT ALL until this episode, and now I need to confirm what is happening where.
    I believe that Dolores freaking out caused the first revolution and that Maeve is currently working on the second?

18. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

While I haven't watched the latest episode, I will say I've enjoyed the escapism of this show. It's a fun show that allows me to completely turn my brain off. I'm all in on this one and am not looking for deeper meanings or trying to figure out "OH HERE'S MY INTERESTING FAN THEORY"

I don't care about anyone's theory of what's going to happen. It's a TV show.

A fun show that I would compare to baked potato chips. It's passed off as high brow, but in reality it's just the same junk we've always seen. That's completely fine since I'm enjoying myself.

19. wankerness

I'm not sure what you're referring to with "fan theories," this is all blatant on the surface, it just took several weeks to cement itself (ex, the picture which was given emphasis in both the first episode and this last episode).

20. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Not things like the picture more like " I THINK IT"S ON MARS!" and "ALL THE ROBOTS ARE HUMANS AND ALL THE HUMANS ARE ROBOTS" Just things that are kind of out of left field and seem to pop up in facebook comments section. I mean any reading about the show right now always has fan theories in the comments. Reddit (yeah yeah I know) had an entire thread of them. Even our friends that watch it say "you want to know what I think is going to happen?"

I'm just trying to enjoy the show, yes I do care about what happens, but I'm not trying to be Sherlock Holmes over here.