Anybody out there still rockin the jcm2000?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DeadThrone, Nov 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DeadThrone

DeadThrone SS.org Regular

just curious I feel like many people don't use this particular head as much these days

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Go on the Marshallforum. EVERYONE raves about the DSL. :lol:

This forum just doesn't favor Marshalls.

I've been thinking about trying out a DSL, though. Old used DSLs go for a decent price.

3. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I had one from '98-'05. It went through many mods, none of which resulted in a satisfactory tone to my ears. But I am a Boogie man at heart with a penchant for SLOs and 5150s, all of which deliver similar tones that I like more than the DSL.

That said, the other guitarist in the band I play in rocks a DSL and, while it's not for me, it really works for him and it cuts through really well. He does a lot more of the lead work than I do, so that almost nasally crispness that I dislike about the amp really focuses his single note work through the swamp that is the rest of the band's tone and it meshes well with my guitar on the occasions where we double up on rhythm work.

So, yah, someone is still using one and is using it in a modern metalcore context.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

There's one sitting in my house right now

5. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin SS.org Regular

I think they're overlooked by many with all the latest and greatest mini heads and modellers that are popular these days.

Not my first amp of choice but I often hire one when jamming to old rock/metal songs for which it kicks ass. They're super cheap in Australia too (compared to other amps at least...) so a great option for tubes and a classic tone on a budget.

6. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

A DSL in stock form isn't the best amp for 7 strings and beyond, which explains why you don't see a lot of love for them on this forum.
    A 6505+ with a TS, OTOH, will get you into 8 string territory without breaking a sweat. JVMs also do the modern metal thing with more ease too.
    The DSL is great for standard tuned or slightly down tuned stuff, and just an overall great sounding rock amp.

As for the TSL, in stock form they aren't that hot either.
    The high end is very piercing and harsh and you can't really dial it out because it's inherent to the tone stack.
    The effects loop is is quite frankly terrible.
    Although in stock form, it's more in the ball park than a DSL as far as being able to handle down tuned/extended range guitars.
    With a few mods to get rid of those nasty upper mid and treble spikes, as well as fixing the loop (and potential mainboard problems on earlier models), it's a beastly amp.
    Both the DSL and TSL have been known to have major reliability issues in the earlier runs, so one must be careful when choosing a used model. Best to take them to a tech to be sure.

7. wilch

wilch SS.org Regular

8. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin SS.org Regular

$100 pickup... :lol:

9. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

That was one of my dream amps as a kid, mostly because our music class in school had some cheap solid state Marshall and the distortion channel on it sounded fvcking awesome (or at least so my 12 y/o myself thought as my own amp didn't really even have a distortion channel, lol). I've been really getting my Marshall GAS back lately. I only use the Marshall models in Guitar Rig 5 which are the only ones that sound somewhat decent so I'm really wondering how the real deals would sound like. :)

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have always liked them, but just never owned one. I think if I were going to buy a new tube head I would definitely think about getting one, just because it is one of the few amps I have never owned. There is just no point in my buying one right now since I usually use my Axe-FX II most of the time.....

11. SnoozyWyrm

SnoozyWyrm SS.org Regular

Awesome hard rock amp (if one of the non-problematic ones) ERG/djent aren't in its toolkit though...

12. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

I've been using one for about 2 years now. I love it. But I do wish that I had a Krank Rev+ again.

13. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

I don't have one of the older DSLs, but I own one of the new DSL100h models and I dig it. It suits me nicely. I'd prefer the JVM410h or a hot rodded Marshall, though.

14. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

yup, I have an older 2000, amazing amp.

15. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

If you cant land a JVM or Plexi or 800 with your budget, look past them to the early-mid 90's and get an mkiii or SLX. If it doesn't have to be Marshall branded, pick up a Windsor, Butcher or VTM. Or a Ceriatone if you can manage. Unless you're playing rock or hardcore, skip that generation of Marshall.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I've actually been curious about the Windsor... Wanted to get one since they go dirt cheap. :lol:

17. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

A big +1 on the Peavey VTM. I scored one super cheap last year, then I had to sell it due to financial issues. The friend I sold it to is more than willing to sell it back, but my finances never seem to be in order for that to happen, unfortunately.

18. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

I've been messing around with my bassist's JCM2000 lately. It's been modded but I'm not sure what was done. The thing sounds incredible though. Best Marshall I've ever heard in person.
    [​IMG]

19. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

I use one for a "street punk" type of band. Great amp.

20. PFlynn

PFlynn SS.org Regular

There's one collecting dust in my basement as well.