Anybody get the black dahlia murder nightbringers preorder?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Necky379, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I only got to play it all the way through once but I cannot get the songs out of my head. There's so much to hear, anybody else listen yet?

2. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Looks like I won't be getting mine until Friday. My buddy sent me a link to the leak this morning; really struggling not to download it :lol:

3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Nightbringers, Matriarch and Kings of the Nightworld are all insane tracks.

4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I thought widowmaker was probably the best 1st track they've had on an album. The production is great, it sounds so polished compared to Everblack. Personally I really liked Abysmal but I love this album, I can't stop playing it. Nocturnal ranks among my all time favorite albums from any band but this one is right up there and may take that spot some day.

5. Blytheryn

HOLY SHIT THIS ALBUM SLAYS!

Listening to it all the way through for the second time, there’s so much to hear. Personal favorites so far are Matriarch and The Lonely Deceased. Brandon Ellis just lays straight pipe. :lol:

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I'm gonna pick this one up I think. Admittedly, I haven't been that impressed with their last 3 or 4 albums, but this one seems to be a return to their Nocturnal vibe and that album was hands-down their best, IMO. I don't know what it was with the last few albums, but I'd listen to them for about a month and then just kind of lost interest, despite the technicality of their playing going up with pretty much every release. I've always been able to go back to their first three albums and enjoy them though. This one shows a lot of promise!

Blytheryn likes this.
  7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I always forget about TBDM despite hearing them over a decade ago on MTV2's Headbangers Ball, so I listened to this today on Spotify. Disappointingly short since 8 out of the 9 tracks are about ~3:30, BUT, it is a great album and easily digestible; sort of like Municipal Waste's new album, 30-35 minutes of solid, concise writing that doesn't pull any punches, and you can re-listen to it immediately if once isn't enough.

Blytheryn likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

First album I’m buying instead of jamming in Spotify in a while. I love this band. I tried learning Funeral Thirst the other day. I’m 1 riff in, lol I need to practice.

Every track on their YouTube channel has been dope.

Blytheryn likes this.
  9. Blytheryn

I feel you on that. I heard Matriarch, and was like: those are the tightest riffs I've heard in a while... Just have the solo left to learn, which is going to take considerably longer than the rest of the song. :lol:

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. Acrid

Acrid SS.org Regular

Another epic BDM album, can't stop listening to to it! Can't wait to see them play these songs live.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ve had north of a decade to learn Funeral Thirst. At least you can say yours is a new song. I gotta sit here knowing that HS me had enough time to learn this inside a month, and now they’re putting out like what seems to be their best album since Deflorate - which I absolutely loved.

Blytheryn likes this.
  12. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

. I liked Everblack but all the songs sounded so congested, I don't know if that was intended but I liked the mix on Abysmal much more. This is just perfect though. Admittedly they've never put out an album I didn't like but this one instantly joined the ranks of Nocturnal, Ritual, and Miasma. Any more melodic and I think it would sound out of character but they definitely balanced it out. This is the album I was waiting for.

13. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

This thing rips!!!

14. TGOD

TGOD The Wiz

I'm not one to rag on Ryan Knight, as he is one of my all time favorite players and had been before he got in to TBDM - but with Brandon Ellis stiepping in and their BLATANT return to an earlier-era sounding TBDM, it seems like Knight may have been a reason for their departure from that sound with Ritual, Everblack, and Abysmal.

I'm not sure how much input Knight had in writing or structuring of songs, but there were some OBVIOUS moments in those three albums where you can flat out claim "Yeah, Knight wrote that part". You can tell just by listening to how different his lead work is - I'm talking melodic licks put over the chorus of The Window, Midnight Equilibrium, and songs like that that were so unlike anything TBDM had done in the past (and that honestly made some of their Choruses sound like they came straight from Arsis).

In saying that - I'm also not sure how much input Ellis had on this album's writing, but they seem to have taken a sharp u turn from the direction they were heading with Knight on leads, and went straight back to 2007.

I mean, really - Widowmaker is probably the most brutal intro track they've had on an album, period. Those Nocturnal-era black metal influences are obviously back in a lot of songs, and The Lonely Deceased is CLEARLY a hinted sequel of To A Breathless Oblivion.

Anybody know if Ellis was like a hardcore oldschool TBDM fan like Alan Cassidy was? It just seems a little too coincidental that Ellis joined up after Knight left and all of a sudden they start delving back into a past sound (that frankly TBDM fans deserved at this point and have wanted for a while).

I'm not saying the albums Knight played on were terrible or anything - if anything I'd argue the opposite and say that TBDM has been one of the most consistently high quality DM bands out there. But I'd put Nightbringers up there as the best TBDM album I've had the pleasure of listening to in a decade.

KailM likes this.
  15. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I love Knight and everything he brought to the band, Ritual and Everblack are two of my all time favorite albums but I agree that this sounds like older Dahlia. Brandon is just a year or two older than me so he likely grew up listening to the "classic" Dahlia albums which could explain they slight change in sound or maybe its Bryan wanting to back to the older style of riffing, they did just finish Nocturnal's 10 year anniversary tour which could have had an impact too. Brandon wrote 4 complete songs for Nightbringers, I'm not 100% certain on which ones but I've got a pretty good idea that they're Of God And Serpent... Kings Of The Nightworld, maybe Catacomb Hecatomb and As Good As Dead. All of the changes are for the better though, Abysmal had some pretty good songs on it but it wasn't really up to par with Ritual or Everblack. My only complaint about Nightbringers is that its a little short but that makes for easy re-listening.

16. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Trevor said Nightbringers was completely done before they even considered doing Nocturnal in full.

17. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Love it. I can't stop listening to Kings of the Nightworld and Lonely Deceased...that acoustic part gets me jacked every time.

18. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Solid album. I think Nightbringers is my favorite track. Kings of the Nightworld too, that one has a very Arsis feel to it.

19. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Shoot, I've been sitting on my hands waiting for a Miasma repress (sorry discogs, I'm not paying $450 for an original vinyl pressing) I didn't even bother checking out any of their later stuff. Just Youtubed the title track for this album, and I am sold 100 times over!

20. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

There's a Miasma repress coming in November and you're seriously missing out if you stopped at their weakest album

wannabguitarist and zappatton2 like this.