Anybody build a warmoth 7 string?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by StrykeBack, May 29, 2005.

1. StrykeBack

StrykeBack SS.org Regular

I'm in love with a spalted maple top ever since i saw a Dean hardtail.
    Already own a baritone in drop B.
    And was going to build a strat from warmoth and then fell in love with those ibanez RGs from japan look. And then realized I'd love to do the 7 string thing and might as well do it with this project. Anybody have any reference for what scale neck i should get?

Anyone thats built one could mention how much it cost them?
    Heres a couple ideas I did for a 6 string before i thought about a 7 string. If i end up with a 7 i'l probably get emgs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ironically, I just got the bug to do a warmoth strat. So, I've started pricing it... It's looking like it'll come to about $800, all told, if I'm going to do all the labor and finishing myself.

Warmoth, strangely, offers only two seven string scales - a 25" and a 28." To me, 25" seems too low (25.5" is typical for a 7), and 28' a bit long for stretchier stuff. It's too bad, if they introduced a 7-in-line 25.5" or 26" neck, I'd be ALL over their S shaped body...

-D

3. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Nice to see they're offering a 7-string paddle headstock now. But they really do need to have a 25.5", 26.5" or 27" scale option. The two options of 25" and 28 5/8" are either too short or too long for what most 7-string players want.

4. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

My thoughts exactly. I suppose one COULD make a 25" scale work, esp. with the cool psuedo PRS 7 body, for a faux PRS 7-string, but c'mon... 25" is just a bit too short for a 7, really.

5. darren

I really wish they'd offer 7-string Fender-licensed necks and bodies. I would love to put together a nice bare-bones 7-string hardtail Strat.

6. rx

rx SS.org Regular

don't they only offer the standard strat neckjoints? :(

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yes, but their "comfort joint" looks like a good compromise - it's a bit thinner, and slanted so the treble side is thinner and less obtrusive.

anyway, quit yer' whining, I'm playing a non-AANJ seven! :fawk:

-D

8. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I played my 7620 tonight and im kind of missing my non AANJ :lol: Time to pick up the PWH.

9. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

That's definitely what I'm looking for as well.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You'd think some of these companies would put two and two together - I mean, there's a solid, vocal contingent of us at a site dedicated to sevens lusting over strat-style seven strings, you'd think SOMEONE would notice and build one... :lol:

11. rx

rx SS.org Regular

NO. :fawk: :hbang: :mad: :eek: :lol:

12. darren

Well, there's always this.

13. eleven59

I like it, other than the angled single coils, the controls (for some reason, for me, the controls just seem out of place, like it needs the third knob, or to move them farther apart like an Ibanez) and the headstock (on a Strat, I'd probably want just natural finished headstock like on most Strats, as well as maybe move the 7th tuner over to the other side like some of the Custom Shop 5-string basses Fender makes).

14. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

Before I got my Schecter, I was thinking of building a Warmoth seven and using it as my main guitar. The scale lengths were what turned me away from it. I don't know what they're thinking, they would sell like hotcakes with a 26 1/2" or 27" scale seven string neck. I've heard several people say that they would do a Warmoth seven if only they had different scale lengths for their necks.

15. darren

Another option would be to get the 28 5/8" scale neck and put a capo at the 2nd fret... instant 25.5" scale neck! ;)

16. StrykeBack

StrykeBack SS.org Regular

has anybody personally asked warmoth why they won't do a 25.5 or 26 in neck? would they custom do it? i'm sure it would rape my wallet if i did...

17. 006

006 BAUOOOW

I've spent hours on the phone with Warmoth before when I wanted a custom made 7 with the PRS body. I also was very turned off at the options I was left with for scale lengths. Everything else was perfect...and then I got to the neck. Their reasoning for not having other scales is that they use a CNC machine that I guess is hard to program for or something. Thats what I gathered from what the guy was telling me anyway...I also asked if I sent them a Tune-O-Matic 7 string bridge, could they route the body for it, and they told me no because they can't program the CNC. There were a couple of other things that they had an excuse for, and it nearly always went to the CNC for the reasoning. Ugh.

~006+1

18. darren

If their fret slots are all cut by CNC, why can't they just load up the 25.5" program? Their 7-string necks are the only 25" scale necks they do!

19. eleven59

Anyone feel brave enough to take the 28 5/8"-scale neck and cut off above the 2nd fret and glue the headstock back on? :lol:

20. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

that 7 string strat.. i mean the idea is cool, but it just looks 'cheapy' to me in the pictures. Im sure its a cool guitar but i cant get over that.