Any users of the signature Fishman Fluence line? (Devin, Abasi, KsE, etc)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 12, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Kinda curious about these. I bought a Modern set for my Flying V in drop C (solely a br00tz guitar), but I want something more versatile for my PRS Tremonti in Eb standard, which I play a mix of br00tz and rock with. I have a PAF pickup set in there ATM, but the lack of output can be pretty hard to deal with.

Right now I'm considering any of the sig sets or the Classics. From the descriptions, the Devin set sounds like the Moderns with less high end on voice 1, and the Tosins are supposed to sound like the Moderns with more mids on voice 1. Voice 2 sound like they'd both be similar; kind of a chimey PAF deal. The KsEs seem like they're very close to an EMG 81 with a super-tight sound and slightly reduced low end, and a medium-high passive pickup sound with more low end/low mids on voice 2.

I'm also checking out the classics because they have a PAF thing going on with Voice 1, and a "better" JB sound with voice 2. I'm curious to see how well it can handle metal with voice 2.

But yeah, anyone here actually tried any of the sig Fishmans? Kinda curious if all these descriptions are correct.

TL;DR: Recommend me a Fluence pickup that can go from tight metal br00tz with high gain to chimey passive PAF clarity with cleans and low gain/crunch.

2. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

k, I'd stay away from the classics as they have less compressed attack (say compared to the moderns), so they may not be able to do the br00tz. I have a pair that I still have to install in a Frankenstein diy guitar, so my recommendation is based on Youtube + what I read.

For more brutal sound, and staying within PAF realm, I'd recommend the Willie Adler set, again NOT from personal experience, but I'd take Keith Merrow's word for it :D. He particularly liked the Adler bridge and the modern neck.

I own the Abasi-8 and the KSE sets, and I find them both amazing, but they're quite different. I'd recommend either of them in your case, the Abasi set for its high output, ultra modern tones (one in a million chance to be confused with a PAF :D), and the KSE for their mid-range, power, and amazing single coil tone (if that's a factor).

My 2 cents anyway.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

So even the 2nd voicing on the Classics can't get heavy? That sucks.

What's voicing 2 like on the Abasis?

4. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

V2 on the Classics CAN get heavy, but it's not as tight as a blade pickup. The KSE seems to fit all the descriptions you've given, if I were to recommend one.

5. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

My strat has the fluence single widths in it, and I have the fluence classics in my Les Paul Special (Les paul but w/o the maple cap). Honestly, you can use the classics for metal, but it really depends on what you look for in a metal pickup. For most people, a metal pickup is going to have a very percussive attack and a lot of low mids. Others want somethings more PAF like. In my old band the other guitarist used a telecaster to play progressive metal / melodeath stuff. The classic benefits from having a lot of clarity.

From there I would say:
    • Moderns are the closest to the EMG sound, have the subtlest difference between the 2 voicings
    • Will Adler's are my personal favorite sounding. I know sounds like bark mean different things to different people, bu these bark a lot. It even comes out in the youtube videos of them.
    • The Devin Townsends seem to have a smoother, not at all ice-picky high end. To some people, that gets rid of a lot of harshness while remaining clear. To others, it sounds dull. I really liked them, and I love the very different voice 2, but I kind of miss some of the high end - I have always preferred brighter tones than most.
    • I have not heard the others in person, so I won't speak to them - but your comments above match what I have heard from youtube

I will say that both sets I have are probably not what you want for this application, but I am just so very pleased with them - I doubt you will go wrong with whichever you choose. I was very pleasantly surprised by the classics/singles.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah from what I've heard from the Devy set, the extreme highs seem to be rolled off. To be honest, I don't like that. Has less attack than the other Fluences. Otherwise it would be perfect.

Whats Voice 2 like on the KsEs? I really want the low-output voicing to be as close to a PAF as possible. I love the PAF in the bridge of my Tremonti, just need some heavier sounds for even more versatility.

EDIT: The reason I'm considering the Classics is because Voicing 2 is supposed to be like a tighter JB, from what I've heard. The JB can get plenty heavy, just has trouble with clarity. Seems like they tweaked it to be clearer and tighter.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I got the Classic on my Dinky. Voice 2 is just a clearer EMG 57 with a wee bit less of output. So maybe it could work out if you are looking for a hot rodded PAF sound. I don't hear a JB in there though.

I wanted the Adlers too, but i need em in black or black nickel. I saw in Instagram that Merrow has em in Black Nickel, I wonder if they will ever relase that color on the Adler set.

8. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

So I read somewhere that these have a real single coil in them, or is that wrong? I love 81's, but I also love passives like the JB and D Activator. Problem being, they split like crap. My tech said too many windings to do that well. My D Activator is so neutered in split mode in my 7421. Parallel much better.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well then that sounds about right. The 57's EQ curve IIRC is based on a PAF EQ curve.

I sent Fishman an email. Seeing if they can describe anything about the Tosin Abasi set. It's the one I'm currently eyeing.

10. MASS DEFECT

Im curious about the Tosin Set too. Looks like his modern voicing is a bit warmer with more mids. Im looking for that Fluence voice that has the eq curve of the SD Blackout without the Blackout's over the top gain.

Im putting the Moderns back in my Soloist that has them Hetfields. The hetfield's low end can be hairy fast when downtuning.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well I pulled the trigger last night on a classic set. Found one for super cheap so I gave in. :lol: if they don't work out I'll just sell it used and make my money back.

12. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I think you will like it. I was playing my EMG 57/66 set in my 7 string next to the fluence. There is some similarity between voice 2 and the 57. If you like the 57's for metal, you'll probably like this. They don't sound alike, but they're in the same genre. Let us know what you think!

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Honestly never tried the 57's, but hey, worth a shot. :lol:

Also, got a message from Fishman. About as undescriptive as possible. :lol: Just basically told me the 2nd voicing on Tosin's sig set is tweaked to his specs.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Susi uses he classic set himself in his sig. Thor uses the moderns.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

ESP page says he uses the Moderns.

Also, I did settle on the classics, but from what I've read I'm gonna avoid the Willies. They seem like they're tweaked like the moderns to be two different high-gain voicings. Same with the KsE set. The Tosin and Devin sets seem to be the only 2 tweaked to have a modern active and low-output passive voicing.

Basically I'm not looking for two different high-output voicings. I'm looking for a high/medium-high modern voice, and a classic low-output PAF-style voice. Nothing else. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    MASS DEFECT and Mathemagician like this.
  17. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Are all these sig sets soapbar? I was looking around briefly and only saw the moderns in a 7 string passive size. I too would go with the Devi probably. I like the idea of the passive tone being more... passive.

18. MASS DEFECT

The Devin sounds like Fishman's take on the EMG JH. Boomy mids and a warmer top end.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

[​IMG]

EDIT: I got the Modern and Classic set in today. Just too fucking lazy/tired to install them. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  20. MASS DEFECT

Whoop. Looks like we have a Keith Merrow signature set incoming at Winter NAMM.

[​IMG]