Any Suhr Modern Satin owners out there?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by nyxzz, May 17, 2018.

1. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Hey guys, really GAS'ing for a Suhr Modern Satin but just wanted to ask people's impressions of them. I know the general consensus of Suhr is that they're basically immaculate and pretty comparable to the likes of Anderson / Nash / Mario Martin etc but I haven't had a chance to play one. The satin series seems enticing for the price you can get them used. Does anyone have one of these? My main questions are:

Is it the same quality of regular Suhr guitars but just stripped down feature wise?
    Is the finish super delicate and does it gloss really easy?
    What is neck profile like?
    Do the Gotoh 510 equipped models have any up route or room for pull up at all?

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

The quality is the same yes, it's the same people working on the same guitars. The specs are just locked in so they're "production" in a sense but still built as well as the custom models would be. If you've ever glossed a satin finish from playing before these will fare similarly, I've found that certain satins hold up slightly better but they will all gloss over with time. The Suhr Satins I've played had these gloss spots on them from previous owners.

And yeah the Gotoh Floyd ones have pull up range, just remember to tighten the black screw in the arm holder so that it's flush. If it's loose and your action is low you'll end up touching the body wood and will have less pull up range. But you get about two whole steps of pull range on it when setup properly.

nyxzz likes this.
  3. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I can’t speak for the satin model but the regular modern pro is killer. The build quality is equal to my BFR Petrucci 7 as far as fit and finish, though I find the SS frets on my BFR to be ever so slightly glassier to play on.

My advice would be, unless you really want a plain Jane look, be a little patient and scour reverb and the forums for a modern pro with the flame top and whatnot.

I scored my mint cond. 2017 Modern Pro for slightly less than the cost of a brand new satin. But I spent a few weeks patiently waiting for the right guitar to pop up online. Made an offer and the rest is history:D

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Suhr doesn't have different quality tiers, everything from the cheapest, spartan Pro model to the the most decked out exotic or anniversary model will be made to the same standard.

I have a Modern 7 with a satin finish. I've owned it a year and so far no gloss spots in the usual areas.

Granted, I don't play it every day.

Like all satin finishes it'll eventually gloss up if you play it enough.

These have the "Modern Eliptical", which is roughly 20mm to 22mm. It's nice and C shaped with almost no shoulder. It plays like a thinner neck, but won't bother those who are used to thicker. I thought it was very similar to my EBMM JPs.

They do not, at least that's not how they're designed. You could probably get a tiny amount of up-pull if you set the bridge high enough.

nyxzz likes this.
  6. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

well guys...just bought a modern satin T on reverb for a good price (I believe) so NGD soon... :)

7. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard delightfully devilish

Well you already bought it but just to chip in for posterity;

The 510 can be set up to be floating and does not even need to be raised a lot for it. On mine, if I lowered the whole bridge flat the strings would be resting on the frets, so it's more a matter of setting the right spring tension for floating or dive only.

The finish is more of a true satin as opposed to what some people call satin but is truly matte. It's a tiny bit glossy but in a slippery way rather than a sticky way like a cheap finish. No change in feel in the 4 years I've owned mine.

nyxzz likes this.
  8. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Thats awesome man and exactly what I was curious about. The price was right so I pulled the trigger on it, especially since it was a T and I grew up playing Telecasters.

9. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

I love my Modern Satin. Honestly I prefer the specs to more expensive Suhrs. The African mahogany neck and body make for great tone and a super light weight instrument. The pickups are fantastic as are the 510 and you still get all of th Suhr quality SS frets etc. If set up to float you can get a tiny bit of pull up on the bar. Basically the same as on a Strat. Mine is natural finished and doesn’t have any gloss spots, but I would imagine the black satin would gloss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum and nyxzz like this.