Any SSO Vapers? (Electronic-cigarettes)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by will_shred, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Dammit, so I guess my Nautilus is gonna be useless in a short time, eh?

Who needs to be whacked to get this bulls... to end??

2. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

The FDA. Big Tobacco Lobbyist's. You know, anyone who is impacted by tobacco revenue loss. It's a fvcked situation.
    Basically starting in 2017 they're gonna make it so that any vape product after a grandfather date of 2007 (I believe?) will have to go through a ridiculous approval process. They will have to fill out forms for the FDA for every single product/variant.
    That means your favorite juice company will have to fill out an application for every flavor of their juice, as well as every PG/VG ratio and nicotine content of that juice.
    But here's the real kicker, each application will cost between $100,000 and $1,000,000 and will take a minimum of 12 months and maximum of 24.

It's essentially set up so companies like Blu will dominate the market, as they're owned by massively wealthy tobacco companies.
    It's going to destroy the industry, plain and simple. Forget making your own juice.
    Stock pile and stock pile hard.

Many companies are trying to fight then legislation, but as of now it's a drop in the bucket. Check out this site
    https://www.r2bsmokefree.org/
    I've donated $10

3. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

Looks like I've got some stocking up to do the next time I get paid. :(

In other news, I found some egg-nog flavored juice the other day, tastes just like the real thing! Also really makes me want the real thing. :lol:

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Well... f..k... I guess that's it, then, unless, by some miracle, companies can front the money to keep everything legal. Aspire seems confident that they'll stick around, but... damn... I don't know...

Thank God we still have booze...

5. AngstRiddenDreams

Yeah it's seriously depressing and indicative of the motives behind a lot of public policy IMO.
    I think the best thing to do is to get a few liters of unflavored base and then get some flavor concentrates.

6. Action

Action SS.org Regular

I do not think it will be as crazy as that. I recommend everyone who uses a disposable solution to look into rebuildable tanks though. Simply the most cost effective and enjoyable way to vape. I've got a griffin and an aromamizer (recent generation rebuildable tanks) and the technology/quality of vape has reached a point where I don't even drip anymore, since I can get any vaping experience I want out of these tanks. Years supplies of wire and wick set me back as much as a few packs of strings. It's easy and cheap to stock up on this hardware.

I believe you'll have plenty of time to worry about liquid in the future. The ingredients aren't going anywhere, and the DIY liquid community and the knowledge freely available to make great DIY flavors only grows every day. But in the immediate, there's little reason to be paying $2 or $3 every X days when your cotton gets nasty, when you could be taking five minutes to change a 5 cent wick.

Here's the regulation timeline btw http://vapenewsmagazine.com/september-2016/fda-regulations-timeline

7. AngstRiddenDreams

I sure hope that's how it goes dude, local vape shop seemed to think everything was going away.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

RTA's are a hassle. I didn't have the griffin, but it's competitor the gemini, which is exactly the same thing ostensibly, and if you build a low resistance you will get lots of burnt hits because the ring cuts off the juice from flowing freely into the cotton wick. If you remove some cotton so that it can flow better, you'll get leakage. I've had... uh... 3 different rebuildable tank atomizers, and I was constantly having to f/// with them. It was tedious.

IMO, if you choose the right RDA and use a SCOTTISH ROLL method of wicking (youtube that sh/t. There's a million videos. I know the one I watched got it right, but I didn't immediately see it). It uses an entire cotton square, no cutting, and it wicks so much better than just cutting strips, and holds like 5 times more juice. Anyhow, I can drip before I get in the car and chief that thing the whole hour long ride home. The scottish roll method of wicking makes it so that you can actually puff on that thing until your cotton has become white and fluffy, but it wont taste burnt in the slightest.

Now that I've discovered this way of wicking, RDAs are no longer inconvenient. In fact, they're even more convenient than RTAs, because practically nothing can go wrong with them. It's just a matter of finding one that you can seal up when it's in your pocket (in case you don't vape it dry before putting it away), that you don't mind the method of opening to drip.

I love my Velocity RDA. You twist it shut when it's in your pocket, and you can drip directly into the wide bore drip tip. Though I switched mine for a 510 drip tip adapter (that comes with it), but it threads out in like one rotation so I actually find it more convenient than pulling the metal cover over the O rings like most RDAs will have you do.

If RTAs were as low maintenance as an RDA, I'd be about it I think. But over the course of using them, I've had dry hits, leaking, drinking juice. Ask me how many times I've had that with an RDA? Zero times. Ever. You can't even do it.

I will say this, the Avocado RTA looks neat, because it's just a velocity RDA with an extra deep well, to the degree that it's called a tank. But the reason I wouldn't buy this is that recently I like the aspect of drying out the RDA before storing it so as to be 100% fool-proof no leaks.

9. AngstRiddenDreams

I've dry hit my RDA's plenty of times, though my wicking technique is rather basic!
    I build typically between 0.2-0.35 ohms with my Griffin depending on what I plan on vaping a lot of. 80 watts at 0.2 has never given me a dry hit. Is IS a pain to learn how to wick properly on the Griffin but I haven't had issues once I learned how to use the d4mned thing. :lol:
    YMMV, to each their own etc...
    I love RDA's, don't get me wrong. But not everyone needs/wants to chuck clouds at 100+ W with a coil less than .2 ohms.

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Who knows, maybe it is a difference between the cheaper gemini and the slightly more expensive griffin? I make my coils around .25 - .35 ohms as well. And maybe I've dry hit an RDA in the past, but not since discovering the scottish roll technique! I was/am pretty surprised that it made such a difference.

My mods don't even go past 60w and I might be a little cloudy but I think I'm par for the course the way all sub-ohm tanks tend to chuck clouds these days. I've done .4 and .5 ohm builds in there too, nothing wrong with that. RDA's aren't only for super high wattage and blowing clouds!

It's ironic. Whenever I've dealt with tanks, I end up touching juice all the time in fiddling with them and leakage. I hate touching juice. But now that I'm dripping, I feel like I basically never touch juice.

11. AngstRiddenDreams

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had a Kanger Sub-Tank that was the biggest pain in the a$s you could imagine. It was nearly impossible to get the coils built tight enough to the post so that it wouldn't touch the cap and short out.
    Also, the first week I owned the Griffin it leaked CONSTANTLY. Like I would fill my tank and the entire thing would empty on my hands. I was livid.

So after a lot of Google-Fu I found a tutorial addressing the issue. It's just highly particular with how you get your cotton up under that ring. After a few trial and error wicks I finally figured it out and now it's a dream!
    I honestly push it really hard on friends who want an RTA because I've dealt with a ton and the Griffin is the only one thats quirks I've figured out. "Pro-tips" if you will.

Back to RDA's though. I have a Royal Hunter Mini that I love! It has by far the best flavor of any atty I've used, but it's a mini so the wick well isn't too deep. That being said, I can get plenty of hits before it's dry. Definitely not the same caliper as the "Scottish Roll" seems to get, but with my half as$ed wick job I can get about ten good hits in with no problem. (I just cram as much cotton under the coils as I can fit if there's room after the initial wicking :lol: )

I've got a Joyetech Cuboid that I've been running at 65W with a 0.6 second preheat at 75W that has been firing a 0.35 ohm build out of my Griffin for a Milkman variant juice. Works great. No dry hits. I'd say my only complaint is that I can burn through a tank in 45 minutes if I'm chiefing hard

EDIT: Additional question...
    What do you find to be the benefit of using an RDA for higher resistance builds? I haven't been above .5 ohms in like two years and my only reference for before that is garbage pen styled vapes. I know that the voltage would increase a lot, is it a flavor thing/instant heat??

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I don't like vaping above .5 ohms either. I'd say .5 ohms is like the highest that I still find enjoyable. My ideal "high resistance" build would be like .40 - .49 ohms.

As far as benefit, you'll go through battery and juice about half as fast as on a low resistance build. And the quality of vape experience doesn't suffer that badly. For me, I like to use single 18650 mods, well, because they're tinier! My 'work mod' is an istick60, which to my knowledge is like the smallest 18650 regulated mod anyone has even made. I don't understand why it wasn't a bigger deal and how it is already discontinued, but I digress. When I have a build with a resistance lower than .3, I might have to charge it a little before my commute home. When I have a resistance above .4 ohms, I don't even have to think about it. Battery life becomes practically a non-issue and I can chief on the istick60 all day.

I'll tell you what though, the new Smok Alien mod is a dual 18650 and it looks pretty dang small. I think maybe when my next mod kicks the bucket I will replace him with a dual 18650 mod since they seem to be getting smaller. Also those sigelei dual 18650s that came out this year seem tiny as well. I just can't stand huge f///in brick mods, though some people are all about them.

Also that royal hunter rda looks pretty neato I like the drip tip

13. You

You รพ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay guys we get it, you vape. It is not necessary for you to be flamboyant about vaping:lol::fawk:

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Your post is flamboyant. This thread is about vaping.

15. Action

Action SS.org Regular

Just to compare stats, I find my tank and dripper builds are always between .4 and .6 total, but never lower. The tanks I run at 50w, dripper 70+. I tend to find a build below .4 is more difficult to work with, and I'd rather use higher resistance and higher voltage since my batteries have the headroom. When I drip it's at 5-6v, when I tank it's at 4.3-4.6v, and although a mod with only one 18650 can't really do either of those without a step-up circuit, a mod with two has no issue. This probably accounts for the different experiences we're having, to some degree :)

However... I share griffin issues. My griffin is the 25mm version, and it leaks if set upright for hours, even when wicked in a way I consider to be proper. I've seen all the videos on it. It's a tradeoff between a very slow leak and ensuring the wicks never starve. I actually tried your scottish roll yesterday on a rewick, and it definitely helped some; I'm getting great wicking and flavor, and when I did get some dry hits before adjusting, it wasn't so dry as to burn the wick, which amazed me... thanks for that tip, this is how I will do my cotton from now on! But I am convinced the Griffin is just a fickle tank. My steamcrave aromamizer has yet to have an issue like this, never leaks unless laid on its side in a particular way.

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm glad you tried it!
    Idk which video you watched, but for the record, I peel both top and bottom skins, and the left and right dense parts of the far edges after it's all stretched out.
    Recently when I fluffed and stretched it even farther than the guy did in the original video I saw, I was met with even farther improved results. And vis-versa when I'm lazy and don't fluff and stretch it good enough.

17. AngstRiddenDreams

Hey, could you perchance take a photo of your wicking and upload it on here? Mine never leaks anymore.

18. AngstRiddenDreams

Just picked up a Noisy Cricket today, anyone else have one of these things?

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I was looking at the noisy cricket 2. You went with the original? The reason it drew my attention is because prefer the trigger to be opposite side from the 510 thread, which is somehow less common than you'd think. I thought the new version was cool because it's the only regulated mod I know of that uses a non-digital dial for wattage. But even though that is an interesting gimmick, sometimes I like to get really precise with the wattage/voltage.

Why? you might ask. It is because when the chip reads your batteries as too low to fire, you can turn it down just a hair at a time until it will fire, and you can get practically a whole extra vape session or two out of your batteries.

But then again, the noisy cricket can overcome that if you take out the circuit board on the bottom panel and flip it over, making it unregulated. But I've found with mods that function this way that the voltage drops too far for my preference once the batteries get worn down just a little. That's why I like a computer chip to inflate the voltage a little.

Still, I've been thinking about grabbing a double 18650 mod now that they've gotten so tiny. The noisy cricket is small.

In other news...

I found a website called juicedb.com (I'm guessing DB is for database?)
    It's a e-liquid review site/ reference resource
    but not only that
    It has a coupon section that's just riddled with 50% off codes. I just made an order from some random company, cost me 8$ including shipping. Hey, it might be good or it might suck, but I don't really have a solid lead on cheap juice that I like just yet so this might be a good way of trying out lots of different juices without breaking the bank.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Three years and counting. Currently using a Taifun GTAir and a Provari2, no plans to change for the moment.