Any SSO Vapers? (Electronic-cigarettes)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by will_shred, Feb 24, 2014.

1. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Yo guys, any vapers here?

For a while I smoked cigs, and I would smoke pipe when I had the time to sit down for a whole bowl. However about a year ago I started using e-cigs. Because well, not having tobacco related health problems is cool.

Since than, I've gotten quite into it. I own a couple mods, and several tanks. I'd be happy to discuss the science of them with anyone curious, i'd rather not get into the politics of them though. I understand that E-cigs are kind of a hot-button issue. However there is loads of propaganda and misinformation surrounding them.

I'm currently running a Vamo V4 with a Kayfun 3.1 clone, it's just wonderful.

I'm also currently on the waiting list of a Litup NES/DNA 30.

(one of these bad boys)

[​IMG]

2. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

I tried to switch from cigs to vape. Tried for about 3 months. But I found they made me feel slightly sick. Funny how that works huh? I also found I was spending far more money on vaping, because I didn't seem to have the willpower to not vape all day, every day haha.

I'm curious as to what bad things they will find out about vaping. It's obviously more than just water in these things.

Oh well, I live in Vegas now, I can smoke just about anywhere I want. :lol:

3. MikeyLawless

MikeyLawless SS.org Regular

You may have had a pg allergy. If they become illegal, its because big tobacco and big pharma have a lot of lobbying power.

Im currently switching between my nemesis clone and my sentinel clone with an igo.

Love love love vaping, its been a few months since ive even thought about an analog. Slowly going down on nic levels as well.

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I was fully ready to complain that there is another thread for this, but then I looked it up and realized there are actually five or six of them. None of them seem to have gotten any longer than three pages and they aren't particularly active for too long after they're started, so I suppose you might as well just start this one, too :lol:.

5. will_shred

That certainly is odd :lol: cigarettes make me sick, literally. I just can't do it.

Well, an e-cig is basically a mini fog machine. They both work by vaporizing propolyne glycol, a chemical that is fairly inert. Though it does release small amounts of Lactic acid when oxidized. It's often cut with Vegetable Glycerine, which is almost totally non-reactive and is actually sold as a skin care product.

There actually is a good amount of research that has been done, and the results are largely quite positive.

Here are a few ones to check out

Electronic cigarettes, contrary to tobacco, do not stiffen the arteries

Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

No adverse effects on blood and oxygen supply to the heart by electronic cigarette use

First toxicology study on vapor proves electronic cigarettes are much better than tobacco

Cyotoxic effects of electronic cigarette vapor extract on cultured myocardial cells

The big question right now is the potential toxicity of the flavorings, many companies used to use a flavoring containing a carcinogen that was used for custard-y flavors, however most vendors no longer use than specific flavoring.

Also, a big bit of misinformation is about how most people say that e-liquid is made in china when in fact most of the market has been taken up by domestic vendors who seriously stress quality control and user safety.

oops, in all the time I've been here I haven't seen a single e-cig thread.

6. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Well, I hope I find one that doesn't make me feel ill eventually.

What I found really interesting about them was that when inhaling, it was either "Did i get any?" Or "holy shit did I just inhale a Cuban cigar? *coughs for 5 minutes*"

7. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal ^ Evolution's Cure ^

Whenever I got asked the question, "how long have you been trying to quit smoking?" my answer usually was, "just about the same time that I've been smoking" because it's always been a real bitch for me trying to quit. But I've been vaping since the beginning of this month and no cig smoking since my birthday (Jan 3) so I'm happy about that!

Definitely more expensive than smoking tobacco because your initial start up cost can run you a pretty penny, especially if you let yourself get carried away. I did and ended up spending just under $300, obviously you don't have to do that but I like to have nice things so I splurged on 2 e-cigs and like 15 different flavors right off the bat. I have an Evod VV which I highly recommend because you can control the voltage with a dial ranging from 3.2 volts to 4.8, and hence control how hard it hits/how much smoke it produces, it's very consistent and reliable. And then I got an E-Top which is just a whole new beast, this thing looks like that atomiser memory flasher gadget they used in Men in Black, with an led screen and everything lol... got two, one for home (etop) one for when I'm out (Evod vv).

Can't say that I feel any negative side effects from it so I guess I'm pretty happy with it, I'm down to 6mgs of nicotine so definitely waning myself off of nicotine dependency. Super stoked.

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Started smoking at 15, quit last June at 40 with ecigs and haven't touched a cigarette for 9 months now. Some kind of miracle. I'm using a high end model and took the time to try a lot of different liquids to find one I liked. I admittedly just replaced an addiction with another, but at least it's less harmful, assuming it's not completely innocuous it can't be worse than cigarettes and is way less expensive once you're past the initial investment, where you can spend quite a bit trying this or that model. Settled up on a mini provari with 1.8 ohm single coil. No temptation to smoke a real one ever.
    The weirdest thing was, since I started smoking at an early age, kissing a smoker girl for the first time as a non smoker was just awful. :lol:

9. will_shred

:lol: yeah it can get pretty expensive. However it's just so satisfying when you get a setup that just chucks them clouds. My setup is probably the least money for the most vape I've seen, unless I got some inexpensive mech mod. However I don't have a multimeter so I don't really want to get into mech mods.

10. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I don't smoke, but I ended up snagging some of the ones with no nicotine about a year ago. Puffed pretty heavily for a bit. Perfected smoke rings, then ran out of cartridges and never bothered ordering any again. I found it interesting that I could explore the "thrill" of smoking with literally none of the downsides. Once the novelty wore off I was able to just stop, which is super cool.

11. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I've been vaping for about 6 months now. I love it. So glad i am no longer inhaling burning smoke into my lungs and all the chemicals in analog cigs. The smell, the "yukky" feeling, i don't miss it at all. I spent alot of money at first (still less than stopping at 7-11 at least once a day), but after awhile it's leveled off and it's much cheaper. I'm OK replacing one addiction for another - I enjoy vaping. Since i started vaping i've started working out a bit too. It was a catalyst for me.

The aspire tanks are awesome - coils cost $2.99 to replace. Buying juice online really saves money too. I was spending at least $200 a month before, now closer to $100, plus i'm not thirsty 24/7

12. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

So what would be the difference in these and my vaporizer for, um, other stuff :p?

13. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

[​IMG]
    Nemesis clone
    Trident clone
    Both are super awesome with very very low voltage drop. I think that picture I was at .3 ohms which is very low if you are new to sub ohms. Be safe if you're going that low.

Thats my setup for the most part. I also have an RSST Genesis RBA that i'm using at the moment, pain in the ASS for me to set up without hotspots but I need to take a break from dripping. I need to be able to drive and vape at the same time lol

Been a vaping enthusiast since november when I had my last cigarette. I feel like I don't smoke anymore so i'm very happy.

I have two working mech mods and a VV/VW mod but I still miss having an EVOD setup, I've been really considering buying an Ego Twist/Vision spinner and an Evod tank just because its so very simple. I won't do it though , its mainly for nostalgia reasons.

My next purchase aside from juice will be a nut/screw for my trident clone that I lost, so now i'm only able to do single coils on it at the moment. My next BIG purchase will be an MVP2 because dat battery life yo so I won't be swapping batteries all the time. I'll just plug it up and go.

I could talk vape all day, seriously I could. Thankfully we sell the Ego knockoffs at my gas station and I sell a LOT of them. I even had a guy bring me some blueberry muffin juice and shook my hand because I convinced him to get the setup and it has gotten him off smokes completely. Not to sound self righteous or anything but thats a good feeling.

Many people ask me why I have such "High end" equipment and I tell them, "I enjoyed smoking, I really did. Vaping is better in almost every way imaginable so I enjoy it more while being much much safer. So I don't plan on quitting anytime soon". I might quit vaping in a few years and give most of my stuff to someone who wants to quit smoking and keep my favorites for myself. Its become a hobby for me as well as a way to quit cigarettes.

Most people will say its a PG allergy but in all honesty it could be something else, might be the VG or one of the flavoriings if you stick to just one brand of juice, or even flavor. Might even be the nicotine as well. If you are at 24MG of nicotine then you might be like me and after a while it gets you a little sick feeling after you vape a good bit. I would say try lowering the nic first as its probably the easiest to do as pure PG or pure VG can be a little hard to find for some people. Then i'd try pure VG or pure PG juice.

EDIT- My mother got an Ecig about the same time I did, it frustrates me to no end. She doesn't want to quit smoking her two cartons a week. She told me "I just want an ecig so I can smoke where i'm not supposed to smoke, like in movie theaters and stuff." While she has every right to and she is a grown woman who can do as she wants. I just wish she would give vaping a serious chance, I know its because she doesn't believe me when I say they are relatively harmless and pretty much safe (Nicotine aside). She won't believe it until one of those quackjob doctors she watches on TV tells her to.

14. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I tried vapping for a while just for shits and giggles and enjoyed it a lot, only issue I ran into was nauseousness while I was drinking alcohol. Stopped a while ago due to how god damn expensive it is.

15. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Caskettheclown: Well it's definitely not the nicotine that made me feel sick, since I've been a pack a day of Camel Turkish Royals for about 8 years. :lol:

But yeah something in the vape didn't sit well with me. Could have just been the brand, and I do not remember what brand it was.

16. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

I've been a pack and a half a day smoker of Camel full flavored and the high nicotine vaping I started out with was getting me a little sick after a while. I lowered my nic to 18 and was good to go.

Not to sound rude but that was my experience. It could still be the nic, pg or VG or flavoring. Never know man , you really never know.

Also cheap Eliquid might have cheaper quality ingredients that got you sick, i've seen it happen to a few people.

17. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Naw, if anything, I sounded rude for assuming you smoked less or Lights. To be honest, I've never even looked into what makes lights light, I just know they're like inhaling nothing to me. That's why i like the Royals; full flavored and almost like a hint of chocolate.

I only tried Vuse and Blu e-cigs. I have yet to try the high end stuff.

But, it's also the smell. I've loved the smell of tobacco smoke since I was a little kid. I've been lucky, so far, to be one of those people who it doesn't really stick to all that much either. If I were one of those people that others can't sit next to, because of the lingering scent, I would have quit out of sheer embarassment.

18. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

I don't want to clutter your discussion thread up with my questions, but...

I have been super interested in trying these out, but the initial investment has shied me away from it tbh. I'm liking the idea more than ever now since my daughter was born, though. I'd like to "stick around" for a while. :lol:

Truth is is that I don't even know where to start. There's a booth in the mall in the next town over that my friend checked out, but he said that they were rediculously priced (I'm sure he's done far more research than me). So I'm sort of back to square one.

Any particular brands/sites/something else that I should be sure to check out? Also, this would be for 2 people to start up (my fiancee and I). Do you think it'd be possible to get started (just initial investment) for 2 people, for say $200? Or would we be looking at really crappy quality equipment? We really wouldn't need a lot of bells and whistles either, I wouldn't think. At least not right off the bat.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

19. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

The last time I smoked a cigarette was March 2012 and I haven't looked back. I was a 2 pack a day marlboro red smoker and it did take a while to learn the equipment and also adjusting to e cigs vs. analogs, but I sit here today feeling much better. My hacking cough is gone, wheezing at night, out of breath, got back my sense of taste and smell, so far no negatives. I don't go crazy with all the fancy hardware, tanks, etc. I have a Provari and currently use the Kanger Aerotanks and it does what I need it to do. Now all I pay for is e-liquid and coils. It is definitely cheaper than smoking. If you GAS over every mod, tank, etc. it can get to be very expensive. If you're like me and just need something that works everytime, then spend the money upfront and get a good mod and then you will save in the long run. Seriously, my Provari was expensive, but this thing is indestructible, the last time I dropped it, it chipped the concrete, but it still works.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Depends. I was a very heavy smoker of unfiltered rolled cigarettes and the high nicotine juices I bought first just destroyed my throat, I went straight to 12mg from 16. Planning to move ot 6 soon, it's like my habit is more with the gestures and puffing than the actual nicotine.

If you like nuts (sorry), do try Halo's prime 15, it has a very nice side effect: your resistance doesn't become dirty with use. I'm down 4x30 ml of the stuff and the coils are still as white as on day 1. Saving quite a bit of money that way it seems.