Any Reasons Not To Get A Scarlet 2i2?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Carl Kolchak, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I've got about a +/- $100 to spend on a replacement USB interface, and was wondering if there is/are any reason(s) not to get a 2nd gen Scarlet 2i2 over anything else in the price range?

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

NO reason to get anything else imo. If you were looking at a version 1 I would say pass on it though...

3. Carl Kolchak

Plenty of 2nd gens on eBay for under $100. Was going to pull the pin on one of them later this week.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

If Glenn Fricker likes it, there wouldn't be any reason not to in that price range ;)

5. GeckoNox

GeckoNox SS.org Regular

I've got the gen 1 and it's served me well. Only issue is there isn't a pad on the line inputs so if you've got hot pickups there's no way you can stop it from clipping. Gen 2 solved this though, so I'd say there's no reason not to.

I've just ordered a Behringer UMC404HD to replace my gen 1 2i2, that's under £100 where I am so it might be worth checking that out. More ins and outs, highly regarded midas preamps and the ability to switch between 2 sets of monitors sold it for me, if you need any of that it might be worth checking that out too.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Only argument would be if you got a deal on the 2i4 or something. The Scarlett is awfully tough to beat at its price point, if you don't need more mic inputs.

7. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

I am not convinced with the quality control on the focusrite, but then again, most of the stuff imported in India is b stock.

Given your budget, I would recommend the Behringer stuff, you can get more features within your budget. Like pad's
    https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer...m?ref=search_rslt_behringer+u+phoria_359082_0

I bought my 2i4 1st gen and its been plauged with issues left right and centre. Lot of people don't have these issues with focusrite stuff.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If you're worried about quality control on a Focusrite interface, I would NOT recommend Behringer. :lol:

synrgy and schwiz like this.
  9. coffeeflush

^^If you don't mind, can you post your expiriences with Behringer ?
    Also any alternatives in this price point, other than Behringer and Focusrite

10. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Totally agree.

Focusrite makes great stuff. I'm on my 3rd interface from them. Heck I still have and use my USB6 from them which is like over 7 years old :lol:

11. Carl Kolchak

Does the Solo share the same mic preamps are the 2i2?

12. coffeeflush

^^ Idk about gen 2 , but the solo has totally different preamps than the 2i2 and I think the solo preamps are better in terms of the headroom that they offer. My pickups are really hot and the new solo had no issues in handling it.

13. Metropolis

14. evolutionVIII

evolutionVIII SS.org Regular

I`ve had 2i2 1gen for 2 years and changed it for 2gen beacuse of latency issues, and it seems 2gen has better preamps.

15. Metropolis

It's funny how 2nd generation drivers work with 1st generation units :D they're definetly more stable and have lower latency.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've been pretty fortunate, in that the only Behringer product I've ever owned, a set of Truth 2030A monitors, were fine and I had no real issues (functional, anyway - some of the covering peeled off). But they have a strong reputation for borrowing/bending freely from other firm's intellectual property, and then finding ways to produce them more cheaply, often by cutting corners. If you're on a tight budget, that can be worth the risk, but if you're going from Focusrite (a company with a pretty good reputation for quality to control) to Behringer, that's a step down in reliability.

Focusrite's Scarlett line is widely considered the best price/performance tradeoff at this price point; other than that, I've used and had good success with Presonus and M-Audio gear in the past, so I'd maybe give them a look.

17. evolutionVIII

evolutionVIII SS.org Regular

2gen has better usb connector, 1gen was loosing contact if i touched the unit :)

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  18. coffeeflush

I paid quiet a bit for a focusrite 2i4 1st Gen. From the day I got it , it was riddled with issues from the day I bought it. support is a typical circle jerk of issues, one points me to dealer, dealer points me elsewhere etc. Finally left India

It could be that I was given a B stock product by a bad dealer.

19. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

Check out the Roland stuff.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

do it. 2nd gen 2i2's have like an extra +15db built in and don't clip as easily as the 1st gen does. basically at that price range the 2nd gen 2i2 is king.