Any Preamp Pedals Voiced Like J. Loomis BIAS Sim?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Carl Kolchak, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Admittedly a highly autistic question, but I like that amp sim a lot, and would like to have a physical version of it w/ an fx loop. Does such a thing exist?

2. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

You could look at the Bias head. They just added Reverb to that unit and it has an FX loop. The Loomis amp sim on it sounds just like the Bias Amp sim. ;) :D

3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

What did loomis use before the BIAS? His BIAS sim is probably based on whatever he used to use

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

He's using a Kemper. Uses either a Peavey 5150 (based on Keith Merrow's) or EVH 5153 profile.

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

He used Engl Fireball for a long time, Kemper came after that, and now he's using Line6 Helix at least in live situations.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah the Helix was VERY recent.

Looking at BIAS, the Loomis head looks a lot like an Engl Savage/Blackmore. The amp he used before switching to digital was the Engl Special Edition head (and preamp).

7. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

To answer the OPs question, I believe most of Loomis' modeled tones have been based on his Engl rigs, which have varied (Savage early, and 570 later and then the Fireball after that) . As such, I believe the Mooer Blackknight (which is a Blackmore voice pedal) is based on a circuit closer to the Savage, and the AMT E1 and E2 are voiced closer to the Fireball sound.

The AMT has an effects loop, the Mooer does not. I never really dug into the whole preamp pedal thing but couldn't you just put your "effects loop" pedals between the output of the preamp and your poweramp?

8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

The E2 doesn’t have an effects loop but, like Randy said you can put you “effects loop” pedals between the preamp and poweramp. That’s essentially what an effects loop is.

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

When I think Loomis..... it is hard for me to not think of an EMG 707 loaded Schecter, into a Maxon OD808, into a Triple Rectifier. The tone he got for Nevermore was killer!

10. Carl Kolchak

I don't own any amps.

11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

No offense Carl...but therein lies your problem.

I've watched you chase your tail trying every alternative and gimmick to get that sound/tone you're searching for. I'm not sure you'll be satisfied by any cheap or downsized way out of it.

I'd start looking at something like an Engl e520 or e530 at minimum. But a real amp on a load/direct box, or some other type of re-amping setup is probably what will more than likely scratch that itch of yours.

Again, not breaking your balls here.
    It's just that I, and most of us have traveled this road and payed dearly for it.

Pony up, and treat yourself to a really nice piece of gear. It's obviously your passion, and you only live once.

12. Carl Kolchak

Lol. I have no ponies. :)

As for tone chasing, I'm more or less done with that, as I was pretty much able to get a workable tone out of that BIAS Loomis amp sim. So I was just wondering if there was a portable pedal version of it I could throw in a bag and take with me.

The only thing I'm still on the fence about is which OD sounds best, but that's a relatively easy itch to scratch, all things considered.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

If the Loomis amp sig is based on the Savage, then the Mooer BlackNight will be your best bet. Based on the Blackmore, which is based on the Savage.

22:15 here

Carl Kolchak likes this.