Any other vegans?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Ebart, Nov 14, 2015.

1. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I'm not a vegan nor vegetarian but I've been eating a lot of lentil based stews and curries lately. Nuts or lupin beans in the curries, potatoes/rice and some beef (or seitan or lupin beans as a meat substitute) in the stews. I freaking love simple cooking like this and it allows for a TON of variation with different veggies, herbs/spices, etc.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

I am no nutritionist and of course I do not know your eating habits. I'd say to ditch potatoes, dairy stuff (milk, cheese specially), sodas and fried stuff, anything fried and all industrialized food. As for carbs, I'd go for full grain cereals like brown rice (?), pastas, quinoa (which is a cereal, besides being high on protein)... I'd also say to search for small sized leguminous like azuki beans and lentils as a major source of protein. Tofu and Tempeh are both soybean products. Leguminous sprouts are also wonderfull, can be grown at home in 3 to 4 days and can be eaten raw. Take special attention to cooking oils and to their break temperature. I'd also invest in dark green leaves like spinach, broccoli and some cabbages...

For me, the brown rice + SMALL leguminous combo works pretty well. it gives me enough power to endure a work day. Miso soups are top, but most of all, non GMO, non industrialized and ORGANIC FOOD IS KING.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

That's cuz the baby Jesus ate meat! Says right there in the Bible and the constitution of these here U-nited States that you are supposed to eat meat. Not eating meat is what those gays do. Murica! I do not need you shoving your pusssy lettuce agenda down my throat! This is a meat eating country, and if you don't like it, you can move back to whatever towel head country you came from, you terrorist! This is just another affront to the white men in this country! This is why we need to have more babies, to compete with you homosexshul sinner terrorists! You know what? My granny cooked my grandpappy bacon every mornin', and then fried eggs in the bacon grease. And he lived to 62! So don't tell me about living longer by eating those dadgum gay beans! What is ya, a mexican? My grandpappy woulda lived longer, but he was shot on accident by uncle Jesse. If the good lord wanted us to eat all them vegetables and fruits, he would have made them grow on trees! What are ya, a woman? Only women eat salads. Any self respecting man can't maintain a waist of 36" of muscle. Need to hold that holster up! So quit shoving your gay pusssy gun control liberal vegetablitarianism down my throat! Real Muricans don't live on the coast - we live in the middle of this good ole U S of A, and we eat MEAT, dammit! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get in my pickup truck, go over to Applebees, and wear my gun outside my shirt, like the good books says!

Edit: MURICA!

4. odibrom

odibrom .

Lol... I actually think that the "Jesus gang" was vegetarian and that it is so written in the Bible, BUT I have NEVER read the Bible, thank God... I mean food... I mean, Nature...

5. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Beans. Lots of beans. Very agreeable texture and a lot of varieties out there to change up flavors. They are filling and rich in protein. One of the best burgers I had the past summer was made of beans, not meat.

Tofu takes like food made by people who hate everything that makes food good. Tempeh is made of the same stuff but is much better.

Just simple veggies cooked with coconut oil makes .... I can't normally stand eating (like broccoli) good.

Try Thug Kitchen cookbooks. They are hilarious and all vegan

6. MLS

MLS SS.org Regular

I used to be hardcore into bodybuilding for over a decade and ate tons of meat. I got to the point where I was sick of eating meat. I weaned myself off of meat over 3 months, then gave 6 months of being a vegan. I think I was the only vegan to get fat...So now its back to a strict low carb diet for me. I do limit my meat intake to 8 oz of chicken a day and 6 oz of beef. The rest are eggs (15 a day) and 8 oz of tuna. I know that still sounds like a scary amount of animal flesh split over 5 meals, but back in the day I had 8 meals a day and I was eating about 5-6 lbs of meat a day not to include a dozen eggs.

But while meatless I used a lot of lentils, chickpeas (homemade hummus ftw) black eyed peas, black beans, and pintos with jalapenos.

7. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Another Vegan here. Was a vegetarian for about 7 years, have been full Vegan for about 8 months. No going back! No straightedge for me, unless exclusive Cannabis use is considered straightedge? lol

Indian Food! Plenty of vegan options, and it's just all so damn delicious. Find a good falafel place as well(or just make your own), can't get enough falafel. Check out some hemp tempeh too, I love it and it's very good for you. Plus, it's hemp! :lol:

Dammit I'm hungry now. :)

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I always find things like this weird. It's not like you've chosen a lifestyle that's unhealthy in some way. I drink, smoke and eat meat like there's no tomorrow and people seem perfectly okay with my desire to kill myself off a bit sooner... Maybe they're trying to tell me something... :rofl:

I think some people act strange when you reveal that you eat a certain way and/or are straight edge w/o being prompted because it kind of reminds them of the folks who take the high and mighty attitude about it which certainly isn't the whole of the lot, but some folks don't think about life on a case by case basis. :2c:

In fact, any time you express that you have dietary restrictions in one way or another you tend to raise some eyebrows. I follow the standard ketogenic diet which is more or less the farthest thing I could do from being vegan and people still give me .... when I say, "No. I don't eat that." It's like refusing to share a basket of french fries with them is in some way insulting.

9. odibrom

odibrom .

I learned not to judge others, just by becoming vegetarian. In 1995, this country was way close minded on food diets. Those who did not eat the mainstream were either sick and couldn't do it, or were anorectic wanna bee. It was just depressing to get judged just because I didn't eat meat nor fish...

Have I told you that I never ever drunk a cup of coffee? I simply can't enjoy those things (coffee, alcohol, cigars, drugs, etc) and I will not do it just for the whatever social bull.....

I don't see myself as an example, never wanted that label on me. I just don't want mainstream habits/traditions just because everyone is doing it for no matter how long.

10. carvinx

carvinx SS.org Regular

I'm not straight edge.. but I been Vegan for over 2 years now. Really helped my stomach issues.

11. odibrom

odibrom .