Any other vegans?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Ebart, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

Since 1996 myself...

Also straight edge since '94.

2. Cobra

Cobra SS.org Regular

I'M VEGAN! sorry, it had to come out that way. I got so excited. I'm kind of straight edge, I just don't fancy alcohol anymore (I bought a beer the other day and I had one sip and poured it down the sink lol) and I've never smoked a sigarete, no drugs etc.

3. odibrom

odibrom .

+1 since 1995.

Smoke free, drunk free since ever. Lungs clean and no alcohol in the blood. The hardest part of this was/is acceptance from family...

4. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

Another fellow vegan here! :)

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I'm a newb. I decided to become vegan about 2 weeks ago. I have been eating raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, and local spring water everyday for about two months, but just ate whatever my wife cooked for dinner. I finally had to cut that out.
    It's amazing how people react, like my eating habits have some adverse effect on others.

6. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

7. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

That's normal. For some reason people think you're trying to be better than they are. They cannot accept that and try to attack you for various reasons.

And yeah, stopped eating meat about year ago. No regrets :)

8. odibrom

odibrom .

Aahh, the black metal vegan chef... intelligent stuff there. Well, I must say that I am not totally vegan, I still eat some eggs cheese and yogurts once in a while. I don't cook with those however.

Yep, being vegetarian or vegan is the new outcast... and how about when you start hearing that vegans/vegetarians only eat salads on the radio?

9. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

Yup.. we eat only carrots and salads :)

10. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Though I can't claim proper vegan status anymore (don't do milk but occasionally eat cheese and soya meets with egg as a binding agent) I was one for 2 years. Mad respect to OP for almost 20 years of Veganism.

I've been a herbivore for ten years now and I remember when I switched I actually lost a friend because of it. It was bizarre. I love it when people assume I'm a militant Vegetarian and say stupid s*** in response, so below are a few reposes I've honed over the years:

Omnivore: 'I could never imagine life without meat.'
    Me: 'Funny I feel the same way, I could never imagine life with meat.'

Omni: 'Would it offend you if I ate a stake in front of you?' (reserved for when its a dig not someone asking out of innocence as that does happen.)
    Me: 'No but your insensitivity/assumptions/stupidity offends me.' (pick one)

Omni: 'Where do you get your protean.'
    Me: 'The same place your protean gets its protean.'

Omni: 'But what do you eat?'
    Me: 'Food, wtf do you eat?'

And lets not forget that PETA video where Vegans the same stuff that meat eaters say lol. Anyway thats not to say everyones ignorant but lets be real hear it gets tiring hearing the same stuff OVER and OVER again.

11. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I am not exactly vegan, but do lean toward vegetarian/meat free whenever possible though I make exceptions for fish and shellfish.

I gave up red meat while working in the medical field in 2012. My girlfriend and I had both been cutting back on meats for several years prior to that.

12. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Born into a vegetarian family, while it wasn't forced on me, I grew up into it. Been vegetarian all my life. Have tasted meat etc but never really been into it.

I do eat cheese/milk products occasionally.

I don't really see any issue in it. Because I home cook most of my meals and avoid eating out, the issue does come up quiet a bit.

The weirdest thing though, is friends who find it offensive that I am vegetarian. As if by not eating meat, I am looking down on their choices.

For anyone interested, they should check this out
    Buy Should We Eat Meat? Evolution and Consequences of Modern Carnivory Book Online at Low Prices in India | Should We Eat Meat? Evolution and Consequences of Modern Carnivory Reviews & Ratings - Amazon.in
    Its a book about how much resources are consumed in commercially produced edible meat.

13. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Vegetarian for around 12 years. Any of you guys tried doing the low carb thing without meat?

14. austink

austink SS.org Regular

Been vegan for 3 years, veggie for 4. I used to lift weights (that was dumb) and did do the high protein/low carb thing for about a year. I did make progress with actual muscle size, I was constantly eating (5-6) meals a day. It was mostly tofu and roasted veggies with a protein shake on top. I would not do it again as it was so much effort to prep all the meals. But if you are trying to avoid carbs for some other reason, it may be easy.

15. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

It has helped me drop some weight but not sure if it will last. Before the switch, I was probably eating 200-300 carbs a day. I lift weights but I'm not super into it and probably never will be.

Just getting tired of tofu + vegetables haha

16. odibrom

odibrom .

For those of you who are worried about nutrition on protein and carbs and that stuff, let me tell you how I manage my main meals:
    40 to 50% full grain cereals (brown rice mainly, pasta, bread)
    25 to 40% vegetables of different types (roots, leaves, fruits, pumpkins...)
    20 to 30% of protein, coming from Tofu, beans, chick peas, peas, lentils (my favorites), seitan, tempeh
    I also eat seaweed/algae and fermented products like Miso Soups and sauerkraut / choucroute...

I really try not to miss my full grain cereals. Also lots of fruit... and organic whenever possible. Brown rice + lentils and I am happy. I think I could have been from India in another life...

17. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Not technically vegan, because my body doesn't absorb non-heme iron very well, and my iron level was in the single digits. When supplementing, I have to chew and swallow a tiny bit of something with heme iron about five minutes before taking the iron supplement to prime the pump for uptake. However, other than that, everything is vegan.

A few years ago, I really started developing some new recipes with wheat gluten for my own entertainment, but they continue evolving over time regarding methods of cooking, infusion of flavor and so on.

It's funny... my previous girlfriend was Buddhist (she was Vietnamese, and literally 5 feet tall) always felt that I wasn't vegan for the right reasons because I have no investment at all in the ethical arguments. She wasn't even vegan, and ate eggs and dairy, but I guess my rapturous unfulfilled longings for juicy prime rib might not fit the vegan stereotype. *laugh*

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I was vegetarian for 10 years (mainly due to the high incidence of heart attacks in my family) but stopped. I'm now pre-diabetic, which means I'm supposed to be reducing/eliminating my simple carbohydrate intake.

So here's the question: I'd love to do the vegan thing, or at least substantially reduce my meat intake, but what am I going to eat? Salad and nuts? I can't eat much fruit because of the natural sugars, and breads are out. Right now I'm doing a boatload of eggs and chicken. I'm curious what you guys would do. And if you tell me to eat a salads all week I'm gonna punch you in the throat. :lol:

19. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Hallowway, family history of high blood pressure and heart attack is another reason that I gave up red meat.

I see several mentions here of using tempeh, seitan, tofu, etc. for protein. I lean far more to eating a lot of meals with black beans and/or quinoa as my main sources of protein. I supplement with fish and shellfish (I know, not technically vegan or vegetarian).

I am fortunate to work at a place where the chef tries to put some vegetarian options on the menu, but I do have to lean toward carbs on a lot of days, particularly pastas and rice.

There are days where it is a difficult balance to get all of the calories and protein that I need to make it through a day without resorting to eating all meats and sugars. The occasional protein bar or granola bar helps on those days, but those aren't optimal...

20. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Veganism is not just avoid eating but consuming any product with animal origin.

I am not one, but I know lot of people who claim they are and don't care about their clothes, make up ...

So please, if you say you are vegan, just be one. 'Attention W_s' are everywhere and they harm the movement, which I respect 100%.