Any mountain bikers?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Universe74, Oct 1, 2006.

1. MaKo´s Tethan

MaKo´s Tethan SS.org Regular

I`m an ex trial biker (self made-modified bikes of course) and now...soon to become an ex biker in general (I promise to star jumpin again) I love rigid frames, I use this bike for some trials, dirt jump and DH. More pics later (I have really cool places in my city, I mean, in the city, cause is located in a valley)
    [​IMG]

2. Northern

Northern SS.org Regular

3. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

A question for you guys who ride trails... how often do you get flats? Today was the third day I've taken my bike out and it was cut short because I noticed my front tire was going flat. Luckily, the bike shop said they'll fix it on the spot when I bring it in. This quickly reminded me how much I can't stand getting a flat. At least I wasn't too far out in the woods.

4. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

You have to check your tire pressure before your ride, the tire also makes a difference if its a cross country or downhill.

When I run light weight tires i go with 40-50 pounds for down hill I go 15 on the front and 35 on the back with thick tubes and heavy tires.

I went years without a flat..

5. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Finally got around to bringing my bike to the shop for the flat. The tech found three thorns stuck in the tire. He recommended trying out these tubes that have an added protective seal on the outside. I definitely won't be hitting that same thorn-infested trail again, but can't hurt to try the different tubes out.

I really would have liked to get a bike with tubeless tires, but wasn't looking to spend $1500+ on a bike when I'm just getting back into it.

Bevo, I'm in NJ. Most of the terrain around here is fairly flat. Unless I take a trip out of state or up north, I really don't have to worry about downhill. I was talking to these two guys at the bike shop about some of the downhill trails at mountains in PA and Vermont. They were saying that's a whole different world and a whole different bike. Sounds really interesting though, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

6. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Not sure how close you are to this place but it looks like a great weekend trip.
    Bring your bike and also rent a downhill bike for the day to access the lift access downhill.
    Check out the Vids, looks like fun..
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park - Home

7. mountainjam

mountainjam SS.org Regular

Hey fellas, I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I've been riding for 15 years. Here's my rig, mountain cycle shockwave

8. Universe74

Universe74 SS.org Regular

One from yesterday.

[vimeo]23137388[/vimeo]

Mattmc74 likes this.
  9. Universe74

And and all mountain style ride from earlier in the month.

[vimeo]22051071[/vimeo]

10. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I'm jealous! I'd really like to start taking some trips when I have a little more free time. I found some pretty decent places in my area, most of which are geared toward atv's and dirtbikes, but still manageable with a mountain bike.

11. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Does anyone in PA know of any mountains that are open for mountain bikers that's not too far of a drive from south Jersey? So far, I've checked Blue Mtn and Camelback and it doesn't look like either of them offer trails for mountain bikers.

12. Universe74

13. Universe74

14. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Thanks for the link! I knew there had to be some sort of search for that. I have good resources for trails, but totally new to the downhill world.

15. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

Great clips! the dog seems to be having fun as well.

16. Universe74

17. TheSixthWheel

TheSixthWheel bangetzit

Wanted to revive this thread with a pic from a ride today.

[​IMG]

18. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Moving from Louisiana to Oregon in about 3 months. I think the mountain biking should be a little better in Oregon...or so I would think,lol.

I'll probably buy a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon. :cool: I used to own their Heckler which was plenty enough bike for the boring slopes of Louisiana. Man am I super excited about doing some real mountain bike riding in the near future. I will not be doing the crazy stuff like backflips and serious downhill...my body has already had enough from being an ex pro motocross racer years back...I'm just looking for some basic "All-Mountain" type riding...I'm sure Oregon should have plenty of places that should suit any kind of riding. :flame:

19. TheSixthWheel

TheSixthWheel bangetzit

Helped my local mtb club rebuild a berm today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15 people, 180-200 sandbags, was probably around 6 hours work. The old one had been blown out by riders cutting the berm, so it was very hard to ride. Additionally, the old berm was only supported by a bunch of concrete lumps, which you can see we've reused as sandbag reinforcement. This one's going nowhere, and will provide all riders with a great corner for years to come.

20. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Going to tackle one of the trails through the mountains tomorrow. I'm going to need to buy another bike for the mountains.