Any Martial Arts practicioners?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Daemoniac, Feb 9, 2009.

1. progmetaldan

progmetaldan SS.org Regular

Yeah its real tough to have much control and accuracy with the sidekick so far. In Krav Maga we could pretty much never kick above the hips with sidekicks anyway, and are encouraged to be able to generate power without chambering for kicks/stomps to knee/shin/ankles etc.

2. ErykaDaemons

ErykaDaemons SS.org Regular

Been interested in martial arts for years. I've studied Jeet Kune Do, Wing Tsung, and some Hapkido. Right now I am really interested in Krav Maga, I like the no-nonsense attitude.

What are peoples opinion on staying with one system? Personally I like to lean as many systems as I can and then take what works in each of them, creating something that is solid. Anyone else do the same thing?

3. progmetaldan

Yeah Krav Maga is great, highly recommended!

I do a bit of Doce Pares Eskrima, and I'm considering doing some Wing Chun and Kung Fu as well, but mainly I'd just do those for fun. Krav Maga is a bit like JKD in the sense that it is already taking bits and pieces from different styles, mainly boxing, judo and Jujutsu and the weapons defense is similar to many of the FMA's, so its quite good in that respect, it pretty much covers all areas of striking, grappling, weapons etc. :yesway:

In other related news, last saturday morning I passed my grading for Practitioner Level 1 in Krav Maga! Went through all the techniques in the syllabus etc. felt very comfortable with everything, so it was all good. So anyway, I'm now officially a Practitioner Level 1 in IKMF Krav Maga! Yeah, only 9 more levels until I'm an 'Expert'... :D

4. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

KRav maga was my first choice when I was looking, though here in Anchorage there are no schools for it. So I joined Jinen Ryu Karate. It's pretty close to Okinawan Karate

5. progmetaldan

If anyone's interested in what was involved in the Krav Maga grading, I wrote a journal about it on a Martial Arts website which I frequent: Martial Arts Planet Feel free to drop by and read it. :)

6. ErykaDaemons

ErykaDaemons SS.org Regular

Congrats!

7. progmetaldan

Cheers mate! :)

8. ADAMAKAGORE

ADAMAKAGORE SS.org Regular

I just started learning MMA. I´m training brazilian jiu'jitsu and muay thai.

9. progmetaldan

Cool, that seems like a popular choice for MMA stuff, hope it goes well for ya! :)

10. progmetaldan

Thought I'd share a journal entry I wrote of the seminar I went to yesterday arvo, from memory a couple of you were interested in the Iaijutsu stuff...

11. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

Here is a video I made...

My best friend here who is demonstrating a unique Taiji style which only 25 people in the world know....

John Mos has been in martial arts all of his live and is also one of the very rare WE DAO KAN experts....

Here is a link to this art... You can see John demonstrating some techniques...

We Dao Kan, les techniques.

He has numerous Kung Fu grades, he knows and teaches many style....

Anyway here is a demonstration of the San Xue Shan style taiji founded by Master Maiji, enjoy :)

Myself I have no clue about martial arts so dont ask me any questions lol

John is my only real friend, we actually know each other since 1987 :eek:
    [​IMG]

Here with one of my guitars :lol:

[​IMG]

12. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

new video, enjoy :)

13. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

One of those new "MMA schools" (that are popping up everywhere!) in my city was offering "Muay Thai", and having attended it I was not impressed. It was just kickboxing with some elbows and knees thrown in. No emphasis on the culture of Muay Thai, no emphasis on the tactics, advanced techniques etc. Imo it could be taught better so that the students could better use it in the MMA ring / cage, but thats just me. Granted some of the stuff you could learn from proper Muay Thai instruction is probably not that applicable to the MMA arena, but a lot of it is. Certainly, even when you watch someone like Wanderlei Silva fight, his "Muay Thai" background is mentioned a lot, but what most MMA fighters use is so heavily modified it hardly resembles Muay Thai at all.

Call me old fashioned, I love MMA but when I wanted to learn a martial art I wanted the most brutally effective system, I chose MT, but went into it knowing that what MMA commentators and a lot fo MMA schools call "Muay Thai" was not the real deal.