Any highpowered neodymium speakers that sound huge/thick

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

See title!
    Sick of lugging around a 4x12 but want more than just a 2x12.
    Are there any known 50w+ neodymium speakers that sound huge/thick for death metal?

2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Check out the speakers in the DV Mark Neo Classic cabs.
    Ola England has done a lot of demos with those speakers and, from the demos, they sound great. However, I have no first hand experience with neo speakers

3. davidian6811

davidian6811 SS.org Regular

Check out the Celestion Vintage Neo - i have those to replace my mesa v30 in my 2x12. Definitely a lot less heavier

4. odibrom

odibrom .

Aren't these called "Century Vintage"? I have a pair of those and I like them. They are rated at 60w each. Weights 1.7kg

Checked out www.celestion.com and realized they have another "Neo Creamback", also at 60w, but a little heavier with 1.9kg.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

"Huge and thick for death metal?" When I think of Death Metal guitar tone, though, "thick" is not really the first word to come to mind, nor the fifty-third, but ultimately, almost any neodymium 12" speaker should work. But, maybe this question is too obvious, but what tone are you referencing? Most companies make two basic styles of guitar speakers - US and UK. While the differences are, IMO, still somewhat subtle, they do sound just a little different. Any differences in tone from the speaker itself, to me, are the next level of subtle.

Like, if I hear a band playing, I'm not going to be able to tell you with any level of confidence if the guitar speakers have NdFeB magnets or ferrite magnets, but I might be able to guess whether the speakers are US or UK style without looking.

I've been using Eminence Lil Texas 12" NdFeB speakers for a couple of years now. They typically go for a round a hundred bucks American (not sure what that is in CAD these days), but the sound is more what I'd consider tight low end than fat low end. There is also an Eminence speaker called the "Tonkerlite", which is the UK-voiced equivalent of the Lil Texas, which has a fatter less focused low end.